This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nahrydds

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be applying during the 2018-2019 application cycle and I am freaking out. I have done all the calculations and when I apply I will have:
oGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.559
bcpGPA: 3.163
AADSAS GPA: 3.338
I slacked off my first two years of undergrad and ended up receiving a D in Gen Bio 1 which i retook and got an A. I also received a C+ in Gen Chem 1 and a C in Calculus. Other than that all my grades have been an equal distribution of A's and B's. I am in the pre-dental club, environmental club, Caribbean students association, and I plan to do research with one of my bio professors. I also have been shadowing a gen dentist for over 1 year. I have not taken my DAT yet and I am hoping to get at least a 21.
I live in NYC and these are some of the schools I plan on applying to: NYU, Touro, BU, Howard, University of Buffalo, Tufts, Temple..I have not completed my list yet but I want to apply to at least 15 schools. Sorry if this is alot, I am really freaking out because I've always wanted to be a dentist and I have no plan B. I'm now realizing that may not be possible. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA is not too low to get into dental school, but a lot is going to depend on the outcome of your DAT. Until then nobody can really give you an accurate estimation of your chances.

I am going to be applying during the 2018-2019 application cycle and I am freaking out. I have done all the calculations and when I apply I will have:
oGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.559
bcpGPA: 3.163
AADSAS GPA: 3.338
I slacked off my first two years of undergrad and ended up receiving a D in Gen Bio which i retook and got an A. I also received a C+ in Gen Chem 1 and a C in Calculus. Other than that all my grades have been an equal distribution of A's and B's. I am in the pre-dental club, environmental club, Caribbean students association, and I plan to do research with one of my bio professors. I also have been shadowing a gen dentist for over 1 year. I have not taken my DAT yet and I am hoping to get at least a 21.
I live in NYC and these are some of the schools I plan on applying to: NYU, Touro, BU, Howard, University of Buffalo, Tufts, Temple..I have not completed my list yet but I want to apply to at least 15 schools. Sorry if this is alot, I am really freaking out because I've always wanted to be a dentist and I have no plan B. I'm now realizing that may not be possible. Thank you for your help!
A lot will depend on your DAT score, it is impossible to answer your question until then. You have a very nice list of schools and if you score high enough on the DAT you will have a fair chance at all you listed. The best advice I give any students is to not take the DAT until you are fully prepared.

When are you taking the DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you have an upward trend, you should be fine. Your GPA isn't too low so just do well on your DAT and apply to as many schools as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot will depend on your DAT score, it is impossible to answer your question until then. You have a very nice list of schools and if you score high enough on the DAT you will have a fair chance at all you listed. The best advice I give any students is to not take the DAT until you are fully prepared.

I plan on taking it in April

Since everyone is mentioning the DAT, roughly what score should I aim for to increase my chances of getting an interview and then hopefully accepted?

Since everyone is mentioning the DAT, roughly what score should I aim for to increase my chances of getting an interview and then hopefully accepted?
Don't limit yourself to any one score. Shoot for as high a score as you possibly can.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't limit yourself to any one score. Shoot for as high a score as you possibly can.
Or put a note of a solid score somewhere you can see and use it as a tangible motivator. I did that and got the exact same score as my note lmao

Reactions: 1 users
Or put a note of a solid score somewhere you can see and use it as a tangible motivator. I did that and got the exact same score as my note lmao
I will def be doing this lmaoo

I did that but got 1 point lower :( It really does help though!