What are my chances of getting into dental school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmdmrkc120812

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a Associate's Degree in Dental Hygiene and have been practicing for a year now. I am enrolled in a Dental Hygiene Bachelor's program but wish to start dental school before finishing this degree.
I have 4+ years of college education and have taken over 130 credits.
I took all of the dental school prerequisite courses and received an A in all of them.
My overall GPA is 3.80 and my science GPA is 3.95. My DAT score was a 21 AA.

Do you think I have a chance of getting in to a dental school without a bachelor's degree??

Members don't see this ad.

I believe nova takes students without a bachelors, but its rare and usually reserved for people with near perfect GPA and super high DATs. You could research which schools dont need bachelors and test the waters by applying to 2-3 schools. But realistically, you did not complete a bachelors after 4+ years of college and then are not looking to finish your associate's degree... it might look like you arent going to complete their program to them.

You could always transfer your credits over to a 4 year university and get your bachelors while working as a dental hygienist and then apply in 2-3 years. If you maintain your GPA, then youre practically a shoe in! Good luck.

Ok so I have a Associate's Degree in Dental Hygiene and have been practicing for a year now. I am enrolled in a Dental Hygiene Bachelor's program but wish to start dental school before finishing this degree.
I took all of the dental school prerequisite courses and received an A in all of them.

Do you think I have a chance of getting in to a dental school without a bachelor's degree??
Do it. I had nearly identical stats (slightly higher GPA, but same DAT) and got into 7 schools w/o a bachelors. You also have an advantage over my stats by having formal education in the dental field- I was only a Registered Dental Assistant with on the job training. Just be sure you won't need a bachelors for anything before you attempt. Once you decide to go for it though, go for it full force. There's no reason to hold back or wait any longer if you do it right.

Members don't see this ad :)

Seriously? Get outta here. Ofcourse you'll get in. You have the gpa, the test scores and even have experience. Goodbye

The question isn't "will I get in?", it's "will I get in without a bachelor's degree?", which is considerably more difficult.
Why don't you want to finish your bachelors degree if you don't mind me asking?

You need a Bachelor's. This isn't 1980s

I'm not the OP, I was just clarifying the OP's intent. I assume because they already have 4+ years of college and don't want to spend more time taking classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Because it will take me a whole extra year. I am working on it just in case I do not get into any dental schools but to be honest a bachelors degree in dental hygiene is just a lengthy, redundant process and I don't feel it will help me be more prepared for dental school.