Medical What are my chances of getting into MD Texas schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a 23 year old Texas resident. I have heard ORM &URM affect admissions criteria chances. I am white according to TMDSAS, I have a 3.94 overall gpa, 3.90 science gpa. I got a 510 (128/125/129/128) on the mcat. I have over 450 hours of shadowing under various surgeons, 400 of those hours was in a medical Summer internship. I have around 75 hours of clinical volunteering but planning to start volunteering more clinically and non-clinically soon. I have no non-clinical volunteering as I am the primary care taker in my family balancing work, school, and family trying to help my father support my family and my sibling's college education in my first gap year this has left little time to volunteer or do other extracurriculars such as groups or research until they graduate and can help. This will free up my time and allow me to get a second job in research and volunteer more. I plan to apply this cycle but I do not know the strength of my current application due to my mcat score especially with CARS, my lack of extracurriculars and research. I plan to supplement them during my second gap year.
Chances great, except for Baylor and UTXSW

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your feedback, would the low cars score being in the 10th percentile in Texas schools cause me to be screened out especially with my lack of extracurriculars like groups and leadership roles within them, no non-clinical volunteering, and no research all at the time of sending my application? I'm interested in UTHSCSA, and while Baylor and UTXSW were my initial goals my overall MCAT is either at or below there 10th percentile.
CARS gets cut the most slack

Status
Not open for further replies.