What are my chances of getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irfansamad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! For my undergraduate education, I attended Cypress Community College in Cypress, California for the first two years and my overall GPA there was 3.7. I attended UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) for remaining years of my undergraduate education and my overall GPA there was 2.431. I calculated my combined GPA for both schools and it came out to be 3.1. My major was Biology. My MCAT score is 26. What are my chances of getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't provided much information. When are you thinking of applying? what is your science/non-science breakdown? what are your ECs like? have you done any retakes that might affect AACOMAS scaling? are you considering DO? Caribbean?

With what you have provided, I would say there is currently zero chance for US MD schools and the downward trend in GPA would likely alarm many DO schools unless you have an otherwise exemplary record and a good explanation. You might get an acceptance at a DO school if you apply early and broadly and you could almost certainly get an acceptance in the Caribbean (not recommended).

My recommendation would be to retake some of your C/D coursework (assuming you have some classes that fit that category) and apply DO next cycle or later.

My science GPA that I calculated came out to be 2.84 and my non-science GPA came out to be 3.56. I did research one quarter at UCLA in which I did a powerpoint presentation on Evidence-Based Medicine in front of staff, faculty members and students. I also volunteered in a hospital and shadowed physicians for a month or two. I am thinking about applying to most MD medical schools in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! For my undergraduate education, I attended Cypress Community College in Cypress, California for the first two years and my overall GPA there was 3.7. I attended UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) for remaining years of my undergraduate education and my overall GPA there was 2.431. I calculated my combined GPA for both schools and it came out to be 3.1. My major was Biology. My MCAT score is 26. What are my chances of getting into medical school?

You are going to have big problems with that steep drop in GPA at the more rigorous university. Adcoms won't look at that favorably and it will probably be very difficult for you to convince anyone that you can handle the med school work-load. You might consider going back to UCLA and taking difficult courses and doing well in them (A's) so people will feel better about your academic ability. Alternatively you could try to apply for SMP programs and try your best to succeed, thereby proving that you can handle med school. Or you can try your luck with DO programs.

Any ideas why your GPA was that bad at UCLA? Did you slack off or did you try your best and just didn't succeed?

You are going to have big problems with that steep drop in GPA at the more rigorous university. Adcoms won't look at that favorably and it will probably be very difficult for you to convince anyone that you can handle the med school work-load. You might consider going back to UCLA and taking difficult courses and doing well in them (A's) so people will feel better about your academic ability. Alternatively you could try to apply for SMP programs and try your best to succeed, thereby proving that you can handle med school. Or you can try your luck with DO programs.

Any ideas why your GPA was that bad at UCLA? Did you slack off or did you try your best and just didn't succeed?
Hi! I received an F in my biochemistry class at UCLA. I repeated this course due to which the F got excluded from my UCLA GPA and was replaced by a B-. I also got an F in a philosophy course at UCLA for plagiarism because I forgot to cite a Wikipedia source in an essay. I didn't get a chance to repeat this course and replace that F with a better grade. Besides that, I got mostly B's and C's in other courses and only one A- in a non-science course at UCLA. I ended up dropping 2 or 3 quarters at UCLA. After all that mess, I really tried hard, especially during my last year in which I did not drop any course but still got only B's and C's.

Completely agree with what @sobored suggested. Unfortunately your UCLA academic record will not be a help to you, and I think that strong additional coursework is necessary. I believe that the "F" that UCLA so kindly excluded from your GPA calculation would not be replaced on AMCAS, so your actual GPA would be lower. Your academic dishonestly, if appearing on your record, is, at least, a tertiary issue. You need some "A"s in hard science courses before I am confident you will find an acceptance. At this point, MD looks unlikely without a major overhaul.

To put it bluntly, you have more red flags than Chinese Independence Day. I can't recommend you apply to either MD or DO with those stats and an institutional action. I'm not the typical SDN naysayer who thinks you need a 4.0 to get into State U Med- people here can vouch for that- but it is extremely unlikely that you will get accepted to any kind of medical school regardless of what you do.

Best of luck in your eventual career, whatever it may be.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a very very low chance of acceptance to any MD schools. You'd be a mediocre applicant for DO.... I would not waste money applying to any MD schools. Focus on DO.

Last edited:
Completely agree with what @sobored suggested. Unfortunately your UCLA academic record will not be a help to you, and I think that strong additional coursework is necessary. I believe that the "F" that UCLA so kindly excluded from your GPA calculation would not be replaced on AMCAS, so your actual GPA would be lower. Your academic dishonestly, if appearing on your record, is, at least, a tertiary issue. You need some "A"s in hard science courses before I am confident you will find an acceptance. At this point, MD looks unlikely without a major overhaul.
Well, on websites such as http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedicalschoolsmcatscoresGPA.html, I saw that there are US medical schools whose average GPA and MCAT score go as low as 3.0-3.2 and/or 24-28 respectively. Don't I have good chances of getting accepted into these US medical schools at least with, like I mentioned before, 3.1 overall combined GPA of both schools that I attended and MCAT score of 26?

Well, on websites such as http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedicalschoolsmcatscoresGPA.html, I saw that there are US medical schools whose average GPA and MCAT score go as low as 3.0-3.2 and/or 24-28 respectively. Don't I have good chances of getting accepted into those US medical schools at least with, like I mentioned before, 3.1 overall combined GPA of both schools that I attended and MCAT score of 26?
Yeah, as far as I know, those numbers are certainly out-of-date or skewed in some way. There are no US MD schools that have averages that low.

None of us are trying to be unpleasant, but many of us have spent a lot of time and money figuring out just what is possible and what is not. Though the best way for you to confirm or deny your chances is to apply... I don't think your numbers are at all competitive for any US MD school.

Well, on websites such as http://www.mcattestscores.com/usmedicalschoolsmcatscoresGPA.html, I saw that there are US medical schools whose average GPA and MCAT score go as low as 3.0-3.2 and/or 24-28 respectively. Don't I have good chances of getting accepted into these US medical schools at least with, like I mentioned before, 3.1 overall combined GPA of both schools that I attended and MCAT score of 26?
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2013factstable25-4.pdf this information will be more useful to you. This shows the percent accepted to at least one MD school. Keep in mind you have a downward trend, attended a community college, and have a record of academic dishonesty as well. Have realistic expectations. Sorry for assuming you are white.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You should re figure your GPAs with the F that UCLA replaced. AMCAS will use the F. What is noted on your transcript about the plagiarism? And your 26 MCAT is really low for MD. Your chances for MD are bleak and not much better for DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the 3.0/26 that kills him- he could probably swing a DO acceptance with that at a new DO school, assuming his ECs are solid. It's the academic dishonesty, in tandem with those stats.

Your history is lethal for ANY medical school. Why do you think you'd survive a medical school curriculum when you couldn't in UG?

If you had the 2.37 at CC and 3.7 at UCLA, that would be a very different story.

Time for other career plans.

Low GPA, Low MCAT, and IA.

I do not foresee medicine in your future.

What are my chances for Caribbean MD medical schools?

What are my chances for Caribbean MD medical schools?
Your chance of admission is very high (depending on how weak the school and how much you are willing to spend).
Your chance of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed, however, is small.

Reactions: 3 users
Your chance of admission is very high (depending on how weak the school and how much you are willing to spend).
Your chance of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed, however, is small.
How much I am willing to spend? Won't I get financial aid? And why are my chances of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed small? What if I perform very well as a medical school student?

How much I am willing to spend? Won't I get financial aid? And why are my chances of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed small? What if I perform very well as a medical school student?
The offshore schools most likely to accept you may not be eligible for Federally Insured Student Loans.
The Caribbean schools that qualify for loans will not allow students to sit for Step 1 until they are reasonably sure that they will pass (no matter how long it takes). Even if you pass, the odds that a US PD will interview or rank you is only about 50% today and has been observed to drop as more US grads have become available to fill even the least desirable positions. The longer it takes you to sit for the USMLE and the lower your score the lower your odds of matching. If you become a re-applicant your odds plummet. You will still be held responsible for loan re-payment, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, I don't say this often to people, but right now, you have virtually no chance of an acceptance at any MD or DO school in the country. Your extreme DOWNWARD trend from CC to UCLA is a huge red flag, and your UCLA GPA is unacceptably low for any medical school in the United States. Your plagiarism incident, based on the way you described it, is something that can be overcome, but your academic credentials at the moment is terrible.

If you truly want medical school, you need to demonstrate, at minimum, two years of strong academic performance (particularly in the sciences) at a four-year institute. A formal, reputable, post-bacc is probably the most ideal path for you, but often times, these programs are competitive to get into, and again, your current academic record is going to be a roadblock.

If you cannot get into a formal post-bacc program, the next best option is to take individual science courses (prereqs and upper-levels) on your own at local universities. If UCLA is too expensive, you can take courses at Cal State Universities, which offer plenty of rigorous, upper-division science courses.

Before you should even think about medical school applications, you'll want to demonstrate at least 2 years of academic success (3.6+ GPA) through post-bacc studies. You'll also have to retake the new 2015 MCAT and continue working on your ECs. Finally, you'll have to explain and overcome your plagiarism IA, which is very doable.

In short, it is possible for you to become a doctor, but be prepared to work your butt off for the next 2-3 years. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
And OP, you absolutely need to consider DO schools.

Am I likely to get into a Canadian Medical School and do residency in the US?

Am I likely to get into a Canadian Medical School and do residency in the US?
No. Canadian schools are very selective. I'm no expert, but I believe most Canadian schools average 3.6-3.8 and mid 30s... plus, assuming you're American, only a handful accept US applications.

Last edited:
Actually folks, my overall GPA is 3.09, overall science GPA is 2.84 and MCAT score is 26. What are my chances of getting into Ross University School of Medicine in the Caribbean?

3.09 is AMCAS. Freshman: 3.26 Sophomore: 3.71 Junior: 2.69 Senior: 2.49. Freshman and Sophomore I was at Cypress Community College and Junior and Senior at UCLA.

I think this is a question you should have been able to answer yourself. Put yourself in the shoes of an adcom member.

An applicant who is pulling decent grades (still low for MD) in community college transfers to a more rigorous institution and his GPA drops precipitously. A downward trend and low GPA suggests inability to complete med school curriculum. On top of that you have an IA.

Plus your MCAT is lower than the 10th percentile for all MD schools.

If I were a bookie I would give 1000 to 1 odds on you being accepted to an MD school and 100 to 1 odds on you being accepted to DO school.

Also ask if you really want to go to Ross......unless you do amazing there and kill the boards.....it'll be hard to be find a residency position and you will likely just in end up in debt with an M.D. degree not practicing medicine. But please, by all means, prove me wrong!

Asked and already answered. See my post above, and pay attention to the excellent advice you're getting here. Sometimes the best advice is that what you don't want to hear.

Actually folks, my overall GPA is 3.09, overall science GPA is 2.84 and MCAT score is 26. What are my chances of getting into Ross University School of Medicine in the Caribbean?

Hello folks! So currently, I am a med school student at St. George's University in Grenada, West Indies. Unfortunately, I screwd up here as well. I had to take two leave of absences because I was likely to fail the finals and thereby the entire term and get dismissed. So I am taking Term 1 now for the third time! So far, I have a B (84.39%) overall. What are your thoughts on that?

Hello folks! So currently, I am a med school student at St. George's University in Grenada, West Indies. Unfortunately, I screwd up here as well. I had to take two leave of absences because I was likely to fail the finals and thereby the entire term and get dismissed. So I am taking Term 1 now for the third time! So far, I have a B (84.39%) overall. What are your thoughts on that?
My thoughts are that @gyngyn foretold it from the beginning, unfortunately.

Reactions: 3 users
I think gyngyn said it well here, unfortunately.
Sorry, I don't think my chance of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed, is small. If I put in the required effort and score well, I think I should get matched somewhere and then hopefully get licensed!!! I hope I am not wasting my time, money and energy by going thru med school!!!

Sorry, I don't think my chance of sitting for Step 1, graduating, matching and getting licensed, is small. If I put in the required effort and score well, I think I should get matched somewhere and then hopefully get licensed!!! I hope I am not wasting my time, money and energy by going thru med school!!!
I also hope that you are not wasting your time and money. However, your undergraduate academic record and currently being on your third attempt of the first semester at a Caribbean school does not give me confidence. I'm not sure what you expect us to tell you after saying you've 'screwed up' at the very beginning of medical school. There are a lot more chances to fail after you get through your first semester... four more academic semesters, boards, rotations, etc.

I also hope that you are not wasting your time and money. However, your undergraduate academic record and currently being on your third attempt of the first semester at a Caribbean school does not give me confidence. I'm not sure what you expect us to tell you after saying you've 'screwed up' at the very beginning of medical school. There are a lot more chances to fail after you get through your first semester... four more academic semesters, boards, rotations, etc.
Well, I choose to stay positive!

What makes you think you can handle med school when you can't handle undergrad?

I screwd up here as well. I had to take two leave of absences because I was likely to fail the finals and thereby the entire term and get dismissed. So I am taking Term 1 now for the third time! So far, I have a B (84.39%) overall. What are your thoughts on that?

Sorry bud. Going to the Caribbean was a poor choice, and it's not working out for you. You did poorly in undergrad, you did poorly on the MCAT, and applied to a Caribbean medical school against all advice. SGU accepted you knowing you would never become a physician because they're happy to take your money and send you home. You failed Term 1 twice in a row. Even if you somehow end up taking Step 1, and even if you pass it, your chances of landing a residency are essentially zero.

I suggest you stop digging yourself deeper into debt. This isn't for you.

Sorry bud. Going to the Caribbean was a poor choice, and it's not working out for you. You did poorly in undergrad, you did poorly on the MCAT, and applied to a Caribbean medical school against all advice. SGU accepted you knowing you would never become a physician because they're happy to take your money and send you home. You failed Term 1 twice in a row. Even if you somehow end up taking Step 1, and even if you pass it, your chances of landing a residency are essentially zero.

I suggest you stop digging yourself deeper into debt. This isn't for you.
My chances of landing a residency are essentially zero? I don't think so! I think you should wish me luck rather than discourage me.

My chances of landing a residency are essentially zero? I don't think so! I think you should wish me luck rather than discourage me.

Did you come across many success stories of people who went to Carib schools, failed terms there repeatedly, and successfully matched? I do wish you the best of luck, but I really don't want to see you continue to sink money into this.

Did you come across many success stories of people who went to Carib schools, failed terms there repeatedly, and successfully matched? I do wish you the best of luck, but I really don't want to see you continue to sink money into this.
Over and out jonnythan.

Quite honestly I'm not quite sure why you felt the need to come in here to ask what our thoughts are. What do you expect us to say? You said it all yourself. YOU SCREWED UP! You screwed up at UCLA, you screwed up going to the Caribbean, you screwed up Term 1 twice now. You ONLY have a mid B on your 3rd try. And yet you expect us to be all encouraging and tell you to keep going for it? Based on your past and current performance, how do you think you will magically be able to pass your remaining terms and pass step 1? Hopefully your parents are rich and you won't be stuck with an excessive amount of loans...because your chances of becoming a licensed physician in this country are about as close to zero as can be.

Quite honestly I'm not quite sure why you felt the need to come in here to ask what our thoughts are. What do you expect us to say? You said it all yourself. YOU SCREWED UP! You screwed up at UCLA, you screwed up going to the Caribbean, you screwed up Term 1 twice now. You ONLY have a mid B on your 3rd try. And yet you expect us to be all encouraging and tell you to keep going for it? Based on your past and current performance, how do you think you will magically be able to pass your remaining terms and pass step 1? Hopefully your parents are rich and you won't be stuck with an excessive amount of loans...because your chances of becoming a licensed physician in this country are about as close to zero as can be.
You think I can't pass remaining terms and Step 1? I think you are underestimating me. And I don't come from a rich family!!!

Last edited:
You think I can't pass remaining terms and Step 1? I think you are underestimating me.

Literally nothing about your story indicates that you're capable of doing so.

My question is what makes YOU think you can? What evidence do you base such a belief on?

Literally nothing about your story indicates that you're capable of doing so.

My question is what makes YOU think you can? What evidence do you base such a belief on?
There's always room for improvement, right?

Last edited:
Pretty sure OP is trolling now lol or hopelessly optimistic. If you failed 3 attempts on Term 1 of a Caribbean school, there is 0 chance of you performing well on the Step 1 or even getting into a US residency from a Caribbean school.

A) You were warned
B) You have not merely failed to live down, but have actually lived up to the stereotype of the typical Carib mill student...the desperate, gullible and completely-unprepared-for-medical school mark that these places prey upon.
C) Get out while the getting out is good.

Here is a classic example of magic thinking.

The purpose of this forum is for realistic advice, not hugs and kisses.