What are my chances of getting into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedgal89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would prefer entry into an allopathic medical school. Here are my demographics and my statistics.

In High School I was an A student

College:

Senior Biology Major
Math Minor
Entry Date: Fall 2007
Expected graduation date: Fall 2012 (I only took on average 12-13 hours a semester. I could not afford summer classes)
cumulative GPA: 2.7 (I worked very hard to pull this up from a 2.1)
last 60 hours thus far: 2.9gpa
I retook classes that I did poorly in. My grades went from Ds to A's and B+'s
Began college as an honors student, I left after my grades dropped because of mistakes.
Currently 1 Withdrawal on my record

Teaching Experience:
Teach Houston experience (offers teaching experience to students) Creating lesson plans
Citizen Schools - Citizen schools teacher (Creating lesson plans)
Tutor for the TAKS test
Multiple positions as a tutor

Major Community Service Experiences:
-Children's Defense Fund Freedom Schools (2 consecutive years thus far) - this also offered teaching experience and Social Work experience.
-My campus ministry (3 consecutive years thus far)- i serve as the campus liaison. I also plan programs and events for the ministry.
-A social sorority (3.5 years) - currently focusing on school
-Peer tutor for my scholarship program

Awards:
-Deans list twice in my academic career
-Houston Louis Stokes Minority Participation Scholar

Work Experience:
-I began working 2 jobs my second semester in college while joining a sorority.
I maintained working an average of 18 hours per week until the year of 2010. This is when I took on multiple jobs to assist myself and parents. I worked under a teaching internship, while working as a student assistant at a Children's Learning Center for 1 year. I also performed this while participating in my semester Undergraduate Research program. A year before this, I worked two jobs while participating in the Academic Associates program.
- Also worked multiple positions as an administrative secretary.
- Student Assistant at Child's learning center (3 years)
- currently studying to take pharmacy technician test

Research Experience:
-Academic Associates Program - A clinical research program with Baylor/Texas Children's Hospital
-Undergraduate Research - Participated in a semester long research project with my professor. I received a scholarship to do so.

Practice Mcat:
16/17 (this is without studying)
- I have not taken the real MCAT yet
- I plan to study during the summer to take it in the fall of this year

Backup plan until I get into medical school:

-Obtain a Masters in Health Administration
-While working as a Pharmacy Technician

Race/Ethnicity:
-This shouldn't matter, but if it does to some, i am black.

Questions:
-What are my chances of getting into medical school?
-What can I do to improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Even as a URM, your numbers are too low for medical school. With retakes, the bad grades go away and you'd possible be good for most DO schools. Suggest more clinical volunteer experience...you want to show you actually like touching patients and being around sick or injured people.

Suggest SMP or good post-bac program.

Questions:
-What are my chances of getting into medical school?
-What can I do to improve my application?

Reading over your ECs, work, and research experiences I can tell you're a hard worker. If you're serious about med school, then you need to get serious about the MCAT. Blow the admissions committee away with a 30+.

And I'm curious why you're planning to get a masters in Health Administration? Dittoing the previous poster, why not go to a special masters program and highlight your commitment to the sciences? Assuming you're from Texas, you might look into the program at UNT/TCOM. An excellent academic record from a special masters program will look reassuring even with a 2.8ish undergrad GPA.