1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What are my chances of getting into OD school? what should I improve?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by bannanababy146, Aug 8, 2011.

1. bannanababy146

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi! I'm a junior at the university of illinois and I've been committed to going to optometry school for sometime now. I've done a lot of research on admittance stats and talked to my counselor, but I am looking for some other people to look at my info to see what my chances are of getting into graduate school and if I can improve anything. Also do schools take into account the undergraduate school you went to?

Major: Molecular and Cellular Biology, Psychology
    Overall GPA: 3.48
    Science GPA: 3.18
    OAT: taking in the spring
    Extracurriculars: Recruitment Guidance Counselor Fall 2010, Hospital volunteer 2 years, animal shelter volunteer, pre optometry club, Hope for Vision
    Shadowing experience: at three different private practices (one for the summer once a week and the other practices I visited once), and For Eyes

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cheeseball

Pre-Optometry
    I think all you need is a good OAT score and you will be considered pretty competitive. Focus on keeping your grades up and just get an OAT score close to 330 and you would get in.

4. apollo310

Optometry Student
    Really focus on getting a good OAT score and you should have no problem! Most schools want a 310 or above average and science average on the OAT. To get into the really good schools you should aim for a 330 or above!

5. bannanababy146

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    ok thanks for the advice! Its a relief to know that I'm in good standing.