What are my chances of getting into pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amo4424

Reaction score
I am trying to get into a top 10 pharmacy school and would like to know what my chances are. Im about to enter my sophomore year and i am on the two year pre-pharm track. I havent had any organic or biochem (keep that in mind when looking at my pcat). and im planning on applying early decision here in the next week, and take a second pcat in september

Pcat scores:
biology: 85%
chemistry: 32%
reading: 54%
quantitative: 47%
composite: 56%

I have taken a very rigerous schedule so far in order to jam pack all of the pre-reqs in two years, and my sophomore year is not any easier.
cumulative gpa entering sophomore year: 3.63 with no C's

I am very active and have a multitude of pharmacy expereince, ive worked retail as a technicain for over a year, and worked as an office clerk for my family business for years, ive volunteered in a hospital as a technician, i have 5 or 6 other volunteering expereinces in a helathcare and pharmacy setting, and ive shadowed 5 different pharmacists in a variety of different areas.

Also, my sister is in her 4th year of pharmacy school at that same school.

I feel like I have very strong letters of recomendation with a critical care pharmcist, MTM pharmacist, and a pharmacy manager writing them for me. I also feel that my essays are good.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi @amo4424! It's difficult to pinpoint an exact chance of getting into pharmacy school. However, it seems like you have a strong start with significant work experience and a strong GPA. A good way to estimate your chance would be to visit your school of choice and look at admission statistics from past incoming years. Since your sister is in her 4th year of pharmacy school in the same school, she might tell you her GPA or have certain strategies that helped her get into that school as well. Remember that the admissions committee take a holistic view including PCAT, GPA, extracurricular, work experience, essay, and interview.

Good luck! :)

Do you think that my pcat, especially my chemistry, is way too low? I looked at the statistcs and there is no information about the pcat, they just say that there is no minimum score, and that its a holistic review, but im having a hard time seeing them admitting someone with that low of a chemistry score

Members don't see this ad :)
And does anyone think that pharmacy schools give an edge to studnets for having a sibling that is in or has graduated from their school?

Your chem & composite score is too low. I would try to get a higher score for your retake. Your GPA and pharmacy experience will help though.