• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdeemed23

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi am an african american Male and am interested in Going to Podiatry school. my Overall Gpa is a 2.90, and science is ~2.70 (along those lines,not sure) i have a 29 on the mcat. will i get into any of the programs, or am i doomed??

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Hi am an african american Male and am interested in Going to Podiatry school. my Overall Gpa is a 2.90, and science is ~2.70 (along those lines,not sure) i have a 29 on the mcat. will i get into any of the programs, or am i doomed??

Wow! 29 on MCAT. You have good chances. :thumbup:

D

Dr_Feelgood

I would say 3:2 odds. But I update my line everyday.

You GPA is pooh but the MCAT is the great equalizer. Just have good answers on why you got the pooh.

About the Ads

Feli

Übermensch
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Ariz
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatrist
It might depend on what your undergrad major is...
As a chem, physics, biochem, etc BS major, you'd probably be fine. However, if you were a BA psych or biological sciences major and the GPA was still that low, it will likely raise eyebrows as to whether or not your MCAT score was just one lucky test.

I'd recommend that you apply if you are interested, but be certainly prepared to answer, "a 2.7 GPA work ethic is not likely to suffice in a medical program. What will you do to ensure that you get better grades?" It's a hard question and will seem insulting, but leaving pod school with nothing but $25-50k in debt is no fun. Unfortunately, many pretty smart people who don't work hard enough do exactly that...

The factor working in your favor is simply that it's always easier to find high GPAs than it is to find high MCAT scores. If a pod school admits you, they can simply admit a few people with 3.6 GPA yet only a lowly 20 on the MCAT to balance things out as far as the overall matriculant statistics for your incoming class.

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
In the DO forum you said you got a 39 on the MCAT. So which is it 39 or 29?

rdeemed23

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Got'em. Lol.

U didn't get no one lol...That was my older Bro that posted sometime last year...am just using his account cuz he referred me to this site and told me to use his account to post any questions or concerns if i had one, and that students on SDN are very helpful..so am just using his account. He Got into WVSOM by the way.

D

Dr_Feelgood

U didn't get no one lol...That was my older Bro that posted sometime last year...am just using his account cuz he referred me to this site and told me to use his account to post any questions or concerns if i had one, and that students on SDN are very helpful..so am just using his account. He Got into WVSOM by the way.

With a 39, he should have gotten into WaU's allopathic program as a tenured professor.

KHep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2003
chicagoland
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
With a 39, he should have gotten into WaU's allopathic program as a tenured professor.

No doubt. Although that school is supposed to have the best family medicine program out of both DO and MD...according to US News a few years back...:D

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
You are kidding right? You admitted to reposting that same thread twice in the DO forum. You posted in the summer of last year and then again in October. I find it hard to believe you are being truthful. If you are for real then just pick up the phone and speak to someone in admissions. I have a close friend who is african american and had a 2.9 with a 27 on the MCAT and he was accepted to UMDNJ-newark.

rdeemed23

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You are kidding right? You admitted to reposting that same thread twice in the DO forum. You posted in the summer of last year and then again in October. I find it hard to believe you are being truthful. If you are for real then just pick up the phone and speak to someone in admissions. I have a close friend who is african american and had a 2.9 with a 27 on the MCAT and he was accepted to UMDNJ-newark.

Again, i am using my Older Brother's ACCOUNT!!!! sort of like an inheritance since he already got into Medical School, he doesnt use SDN anymore....am New to this site, and this is my first post ever on SDN, am interested in Podiatry...he Was Interested in Osteopathic Medicine..i hope i have made myself clear.......GOSH!!!!

D

Dr_Feelgood

Again, i am using my Older Brother's ACCOUNT!!!! sort of like an inheritance since he already got into Medical School, he doesnt use SDN anymore....am New to this site, and this is my first post ever on SDN, am interested in Podiatry...he Was Interested in Osteopathic Medicine..i hope i have made myself clear.......GOSH!!!!

Ignoring everything else. You've got a great shot, but if you are in doubt call up Meghan at DMU. Usually if you can get into DMU, you can get in anywhere.

About the Ads

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
You know what is more interesting is that since the very first post on your brother's account the writing styles have not changed at all. Who are you really trying to kid, kid? Go away already, troll! Even in the past posts most people thought they were fake.

D

Dr_Feelgood

You know what is more interesting is that since the very first post on your brother's account the writing styles have not changed at all. Who are you really trying to kid, kid? Go away already, troll! Even in the past posts most people thought they were fake.

I'm all for ripping people who as full of the brown stuff, trust me. But I at least posted 10 times before I start insulting other posters. Maybe you should get the "New member" logo off before you start cutting everyone down.

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
I cut one guy down(not everybody like you stated) that is obviously full of it. Why do you care anyway?

P

PureBlue

Message boards are funny. Like sitting in some of my humanity classes where students argue with profs about the dumbest stuff, that is until the professor dominates the student who has no idea what they are talking about.

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
Message boards are actually cool when you use your real name and not just a random set of letters. It really should not matter weather I have 10 or 1500 posts. I should be allowed to say what I want because if I am not mistaken that was the whole idea behind these funny message boards. If I'm wrong does it really matter anyway? I dont think rdeemed23 is going to care either way.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Message boards are actually cool when you use your real name and not just a random set of letters. It really should not matter weather I have 10 or 1500 posts. I should be allowed to say what I want because if I am not mistaken that was the whole idea behind these funny message boards. If I'm wrong does it really matter anyway? I dont think rdeemed23 is going to care either way.

And who gives us the guarantee that your real name is indeed Mr.Mchobson in real life and not Hulk Hogan or Popeye the sailor man!:confused: . You may not even be a student at all and just be a troll! Who certifies you that you are what you are!. that now you are asking others to be like you!. No one can really confirm the real ID of a person in forums. The only place i strongly believe one should be using his real name, educational qualifications is when they are boasting their Hospital experiences or saying some real life experience. But apart from that i dont see why its going to be cooooool to have a real name on SDN. There is already so much identity theft going on. What kind of sane man would put his real name and details on a public forum.The OP is asking a simple question. His question is neither insulting anyone nor bothering anybody. He may have a 39 or he may have a 29. He is just asking what are his chances. If you want to answer then answer it. or else ...........

jonwill

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2005
Southwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
OK, let's everybody settle down. Whether the original poster is who he says he is, the question seems simple, non-threatening, and fair. The guy wants to know if he has a chance.

Chill with the fighting. It's all about love on the podiatry forum! :laugh: Otherwise, the thread goes.

D

Dr_Feelgood

OK, let's everybody settle down. Whether the original poster is who he says he is, the question seems simple, non-threatening, and fair. The guy wants to know if he has a chance.

Chill with the fighting. It's all about love on the podiatry forum! :laugh: Otherwise, the thread goes.

:thumbup: Agreed. I'm not sure why mchobson has a burning hatred. My point about your number of posts is you haven't posted anything in almost a year and your return post is to tell some newbie that his is full of it. I would hope that you would be willing to post on a more positive note.

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
I did give a somewhat positive response in that i gave the OP the stats of a friend of mine who went to UMDNJ-newark who is also african american. I still think the OP is full of it however. And to cool-vkb I own a restaurant in Hoboken, NJ and I also attend nycpm class of 2010. Check out my website www.Hobsonschoiceinc.com. My brother and I opened the bar in 1996 and things were going great until he was murdered on Sept 11th 2001. Anytime you want to come to the bar and have a few drinks and talk about identity theft let me know? Sorry there Dr. feelgood but since I work full time and go to school while raising two kids I might not have as much time on my hands as you do. Do yourself a favor and mind your own business next time! Oh and my old man is chief of Vascular surgery at UMDNJ-newark if it matters to anyone. Is that enough information?

D

Dr_Feelgood

I did give a somewhat positive response in that i gave the OP the stats of a friend of mine who went to UMDNJ-newark who is also african american. I still think the OP is full of it however. And to cool-vkb I own a restaurant in Hoboken, NJ and I also attend nycpm class of 2010. Check out my website www.Hobsonschoiceinc.com. My brother and I opened the bar in 1996 and things were going great until he was murdered on Sept 11th 2001. Anytime you want to come to the bar and have a few drinks and talk about identity theft let me know? Sorry there Dr. feelgood but since I work full time and go to school while raising two kids I might not have as much time on my hands as you do. Do yourself a favor and mind your own business next time! Oh and my old man is chief of Vascular surgery at UMDNJ-newark if it matters to anyone. Is that enough information?

I give a rats @ss who you are, I did ask for a bio. I would also suggest losing the attitude b/c you are not the only person who has kids and works. But St. Hobson, I knew that your dad was a big vascular surgeon. I figured that is why you like everyone knowing your last name. If you can't make it yourself, then rely on the accomplishments of your family. Right?

I think you need to re-evaluate your outlook on life, you are a little sensitive to criticism.

About the Ads

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
Look who has the burning hatred now...haha! I think it is you who needs to re-evaluate your life you jealous little twit! Get a partner already cuz somebody needs a release! Oh and by the way since I have been on this board, which was before you, have I ever gone around boasting who my father was until now. I did it to prove that I wasnt a troll as cool-vkb suggested. It always makes me laugh when people assume that just because someone has a relative involved in medicine they abuse the system to get ahead. Anytime you want to sit down and look at my grades from undergrad and my MCAT scores that got me into pod school it can be arranged. I had no help from any family members getting into any school. Your assertions alone about my family make you an embarrassment to this profession. I decided to go into this profession because guys like my dad really admire the work that podiatrists have been doing in the last 10-15 years. He has podiatric residents that rotate with vascular fellows and most if not all of the podiatric residents kick ass when it come to knowledge of the lower extremity...they even go beyond the vascular guys sometimes. Mind your manners when bashing people cuz you never know who could help you along the way in this great career we have all chosen to pursue. Also, the bio was directed to cool-vkb not to you.

D

Dr_Feelgood

Look who has the burning hatred now...haha! I think it is you who needs to re-evaluate your life you jealous little twit! Get a partner already cuz somebody needs a release! Oh and by the way since I have been on this board, which was before you, have I ever gone around boasting who my father was until now. I did it to prove that I wasnt a troll as cool-vkb suggested. It always makes me laugh when people assume that just because someone has a relative involved in medicine they abuse the system to get ahead. Anytime you want to sit down and look at my grades from undergrad and my MCAT scores that got me into pod school it can be arranged. I had no help from any family members getting into any school. Your assertions alone about my family make you an embarrassment to this profession. I decided to go into this profession because guys like my dad really admire the work that podiatrists have been doing in the last 10-15 years. He has podiatric residents that rotate with vascular fellows and most if not all of the podiatric residents kick ass when it come to knowledge of the lower extremity...they even go beyond the vascular guys sometimes. Mind your manners when bashing people cuz you never know who could help you along the way in this great career we have all chosen to pursue. Also, the bio was directed to cool-vkb not to you.

I will tell you I'll never need your help, but thanks for you offer.

P.S. Yes you have bragged about your dad previously.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=3154583#post3154583

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
I did not think it would be considered bragging just to mention that ones father works in the field of vascular surgery...wow! I was just asking another poster if he knew my father since he was looking into a vascular surgery fellowship. Is that wrong to do? Should I just forget that my father is a well known surgeon because shallow people as yourself will attack me for mentioning his name. He is my father for whom I am very proud of and it really is none of your business anyway if I do bring him up every once in a while. My father only has positive things to say about podiatry and I guess I figured that some fellow SDNers would be interested in this man's opinion. Whatever, and btw that was no offer, you dolt!

D

Dr_Feelgood

I did not think it would be considered bragging just to mention that ones father works in the field of vascular surgery...wow! I was just asking another poster if he knew my father since he was looking into a vascular surgery fellowship. Is that wrong to do? Should I just forget that my father is a well known surgeon because shallow people as yourself will attack me for mentioning his name. He is my father for whom I am very proud of and it really is none of your business anyway if I do bring him up every once in a while. My father only has positive things to say about podiatry and I guess I figured that some fellow SDNers would be interested in this man's opinion. Whatever, and btw that was no offer, you dolt!

That is your problem; you cannot understand sarcasm. If you were not bragging why would you say "I guess he is pretty good." Its too mbad you were not smart enough to follow his footsteps.

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
You and me both pal. I would have to say that the majority of the people on SDN including both of us do not even equal a pimple on his @ss. Lets see if you can match his intelligence. He graduated from medical school at 23 and left two kids and a wife at 25 to voluntarily go to the vietnam war for a year. He is a retired full bird colonel and was a green beret(special forces) in the Army The man has over 450 publications to his credit. Can you match that? I sure as hell cant. His grants total over 30 million dollars from the NIH alone which I believe is the highest amount given to a doctor in the US. Yes, I agree that I am definitely not a 1/10 or even 1/100 of what that man is to the medical community and neither or you. I believe that would be called bragging you @sshole! And by stating that I am not as smart as my father you have just singlehandedly put our entire profession down so again I must refer to you as a DOLT! Oh and that whole line about my dad being good as what he does was sarcasm because I figured any resident interested in vascular surgery would know that UMDNJ has one of the best vascular surgery fellowships. It was merely a joke that did not seem to bother anyone at the time besides you. So it is you who doesnt understand sarcasm.

IlizaRob

IlizaRob-erator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah! And while we're at it I have something to say to JonWill...

My dad can beat up your dad any day of the week. Just tell me when and where and I will have it arranged right here on an SDN forum.

By the way, O'doyle rules!!! :laugh: :laugh:

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
odoyle...i have a feeling your family is going down.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
Should I just forget that my father is a well known surgeon because shallow people as yourself will attack me for mentioning his name. He is my father for whom I am very proud of and it really is none of your business anyway if I do bring him up every once in a while. My father only has positive things to say about podiatry and I guess I figured that some fellow SDNers would be interested in this man's opinion. Whatever, and btw that was no offer, you dolt!

As per SDN Rules, one is not supposed to do personal attacks on other members. moderators can we please have an INFARCTION on this Gentleman!:laugh:

mchobson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
Status (Visible)
Funny how people react when they have been put in their place. Im surprised at you cool_vkb because I actually provided info to show that I was not a troll and I got attacked for it. Funny how the OP never posted again because he knows he was just wasting everyones time. Maybe i have more intuition than you? Who knows? Who cares? CYA!

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.