What are my chances of getting into the MSW program at NYU Silver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyrichie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am a recent graduate from the class of 2020. I was a double major in psychology and child advocacy and policy. Through out my 4 years in college I volunteered at several places, did a private research with a professor, and two internships. After graduating I volunteer at a crisis text line for a couple of months until I was able to obtain a job as a case manager. 6 months in and I’m ready to continue my educational goals and pursue my masters of social work. My GPA in college was a 3.1, but I hope my field experience can reflect the amount of work I have put so far in the field at a young age. What are my possibilities of getting into the NYU silver school. It has been my number choice due to its clinical specialization.

Members don't see this ad.

$100,000 for the NYU MSW versus $30,000 at Hunter College whose website says you can choose between Clinical Practice with Individuals, Families and Groups, Community Organization, Planning and Development, and Organizational Management and Leadership tracks seems like a bad financial start to your career. Plus, every graduate who wants to become an LCSW will do a full year clinical internship which will teach you beyond what any program or coursework can provide.

I'm a psychologist and work with a number of SWers daily at my VA hospital. I don't know where any of them went to school nor do I care.

I attended a well-ranked liberal arts college for undergrad and while that was the right choice for me, I have zero regrets going doing my PhD at an anonymous state university.

Reactions: 2 users
Do NOT pay for the NYU program. I fell for the marketing of a "brand name" school thinking it would help me with my career, and it screwed me over. I would take @summerbabe's recommendation for Hunter if possible.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was in NY, there was a therapist who ran a therapy group full of NYU and Columbia SW grads who were there just to lament about their debt related stress.....Hunter is a top program. NYU may be a fantastic program, but you'll still be earning a social work salary when you are done. If you want more clinical training when you finish at CUNY, there are training institutes every other block in he city that you can always go to later on.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was in NY, there was a therapist who ran a therapy group full of NYU and Columbia SW grads who were there just to lament about their debt related stress.....Hunter is a top program. NYU may be a fantastic program, but you'll still be earning a social work salary when you are done. If you want more clinical training when you finish at CUNY, there are training institutes every other block in he city that you can always go to later on.

They did it wrong, the reason to go to those two programs is to marry someone that is getting an MBA/JD at NYU or Columbia. Debt problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
They did it wrong, the reason to go to those two programs is to marry someone that is getting an MBA/JD at NYU or Columbia. Debt problem solved.
Anyone who's doing JD/MBA is doing it wrong, the JD job industry is ~struggling~ nowadays!

Not corporate finance law in NYC. That market is fine.
Right on, you have a point.
Personally would still go for the MBA+consulting route. With COVID you don’t even have to travel that much nowadays!
Alternatively, find yourself a quant. My friend was making 500k two years out from undergrad :/ us doctors really be doing it wrong.