What are my chances of matching into a categorical anesthesia position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odissidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation is pretty complicated. I had posted a couple months ago about this but now that I have investigated my possibilities here are the logistics. I am an AMG MD graduated 2014 with decent states: step 1 226, step 2 244, passed step 3. Was in a categorical surgery position but resigned due to having some difficulties, plus the PD said I probably would not have a contract renewal due to some of these issues. I had deficiencies during my pgy 1 year and received credit for 9 out of the 12 months in total. I have 2 good surgery attending letters from that residency and an IM letter from med school, and am now in the process of getting my anesthesia research approved at a good institution. Will be doing anesthesia research for the year. Problem is at this point my research is still in the process of getting approved and I don't know if I'll be able to get the anesthesia research LOR in time before Sept 15. I know this is a difficult situation and I posted earlier about fighting for PGY 1 credit. However, I decided it was not worth it. My PD told me he would write a decent LOR highlighting my strengths and the fact that I may fit better in anesthesia than surgery on a personality standpoint. I am trying to match into a categorical anesthesia position so that I can just repeat the intern year without creating issues. How hard will this be? How many programs should I apply to? Should I apply to IM as a back up? I'm trying to stay in the Midwest but I know there are limited programs with just applying to one geographical region. I know you may have a lot of questions regarding the details of my deficiencies: most of it had to do with me being very young for the program and having communication issues that I am trying to work on. Plus my personality just was not a good fit. The PD felt I needed to be older and show more growth and maturity. What are my chance for the categorical programs through eras this year? When I posted previously, some people said I should get a lawyer, but I've decided to just bite the bullet and repeat intern year so I can have at least some support from my old PD, plus I'm fairly young so I don't think it affects me that much and it'll be easier the second time around.

Members don't see this ad.

ALso please comment on the fact that there is a good chance I will not have an anesthesia LOR. I have also never done an anesthesia rotation in the past, so the possibility of going to an old anesthesiologist from med school is not there.

Interesting situation and Im sorry to hear of your struggles. Hang in there. Your scores are fine, but the issue is the not-finishing/not able to complete the PGY1 year.

To answer your question, I think your chances at a categorical anesthesia residency is less than 50%. Probably id say 10%, and thats if you apply to every program in the country. The issues you had with PGY1 are a huge red flag, and you are asking the program to commit to you for 4 years, after you had issues after just one year someplace else, few programs if any will take that chance, they want someone they know will finish. Heres what I would do:

First I would skip the anesthesia research year. It doesn't address the main issue of not completing PGY1.

I would just apply to PGY1 Medicine, Transitional year, and surgery programs. Not apply to anesthesia this year. Do well in the new PGY1 year. I would pick a well-known place with a potential anesthesia residency. Then during your year, take an anesthesia rotation (most programs have some elective time). Get a letter from the anesthesiologists during PGY1 year, and complete the year with flying colors and letters from your attendings when you were a stellar intern.

Then I would try to scramble that next year to get into an unfilled anesthesia spot, if you are lucky you will, and I think your chances of scrambling after a good PGY1 year are better than matching with your current situation.

If you do not successfully get in through scramble, I would then maybe think about that research year, and then apply at the usual time for the anesthesia match the next year.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I have this year off so I am doing the anesthesia research as a fellow at a pretty big institution and getting an MPH. I think it's too late to look for a PGY 1 position for 2015-2016 because the year has already started.

Please respond! I value your opinions and really need help. I am afraid to talk to actual anesthesiologists due to their close proximity to residency programs and would really be grateful for your opinions. I see lots of views but no responses....

Don't know how to address this---and I don't think an Anesthesia program director would take it the wrong way if you came in, sat down with them, and asked how you could best strengthen your application. Perhaps a good place to start would be with possibly the PD or someone involved in the residency program at your medical school

Please respond! I value your opinions and really need help. I am afraid to talk to actual anesthesiologists due to their close proximity to residency programs and would really be grateful for your opinions. I see lots of views but no responses....

I am an actual anesthesiologist. I wish you the best, your not in an easy spot.

I will reiterate that the fellowship is a waste of time, and you should understand that no one cares about an MPH.
I would get into a PGY1 program as soon as possible, off cycle if necessary, and complete it. That is the first step. The second step is anesthesia residency. Continuing to deny that fact will cause more wasted time, again good luck.

Agree with the above somewhat---while I wouldn't say that no one cares about an MPH or research output, in this scenario the most important question a residency is going to ask about you is "Is this person a good fit for our program?" and "Will they complete the training program?" The most important thing to do is make sure the answers to both of those questions is yes. Your scores and extracurriculars aren't holding you back

Do you think I would at least get interviews? I am planning on applying to 60 programs of all different tiers and will actually probably get the anesthesia letter from the big shot anesthesia attending at this big Midwestern program. He said he would support me. I will be able to explain all the issues I had and how I am improving on them. I was also going to apply to 15ish internal medicine spots in the Midwest as a backup.

A big question is would you really rather do Internal Medicine - if you match, you aren't stuck, but it sounds like that'd be choice #3. I'd stick with preliminary type spots so you can demonstrate that you're a solid candidate to complete an anesthesia residency.

Also, I'd be somewhat cautious posting so much fairly identifying info on here. If you're worried about asking current practicing anesthesiologists and them going back and telling residency programs something (I can't imagine that happening unless things really went south), I would bear in mind that I know it's not uncommon for program representatives to look through SDN every once in a while.