What are my chances (perfect GPA, average MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What would you recommend I do? I feel that my MCAT score is a little bit "low" and I am debating to take the new one to try and raise my score above the "average" that AAMC has made up
Your MCAT is fine. Your validated understanding of medicine and evidence of altruism is modest.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @gyngyn. Would anyone else care to chime in? I would really like some more feedback please!!

Hey all, first time poster, wanted to get some feedback and see if I am competitive enough for an MD program.

STATS:
cGPA: 4.0 (out of 4.0)
sGPA: 4.0 (out of 4.0)
MCAT: 30 (10 in each section)
Clinical volunteer: around 275 hours volunteering in the emergency department and pediatrics department where I experienced a lot of patient contact.
Physician Shadowing: 0 hours :( I am starting shadowing this semester
Research: I have written 3 research papers, one of them was accepted to a "National Conference of Undergraduate Research." Currently working on a project with my PI, will be writing a paper but I am not sure if I will be published or co-authored. Currently do not have any publications.
Nonclinical Volunteer: around 50/60 hours
Employment: Worked as a children's camp leader for 2 summers.
Additional Info: I am currently a junior looking to apply this cycle. I was a teaching assistant (TA) for microbiology at my university for one semester.
I agree that your MCAT, which is nicely balanced, is fine. With the addition of physician shadowing (I suggest about 50+ hours, including a primary care, office-based doc) and some added hours of in-progress ECs ( I'd hope there are some), I think you're a viable candidate for the coming cycle. Some peer leadership would be nice to see, too. Maybe you have some sports, hobbies, or artistic endeavors to list on the application that will make it less vanilla-flavored?

Were the three "research papers" based on original, hypothesis-based research in which you were personally involved in some way? Or were they based on the work of others, like a term paper, or some such?

I agree that your MCAT, which is nicely balanced, is fine. With the addition of physician shadowing (I suggest about 50+ hours, including a primary care, office-based doc) and some added hours of in-progress ECs ( I'd hope there are some), I think you're a viable candidate for the coming cycle. Some peer leadership would be nice to see, too. Maybe you have some sports, hobbies, or artistic endeavors to list on the application that will make it less vanilla-flavored?

Were the three "research papers" based on original, hypothesis-based research in which you were personally involved in some way? Or were they based on the work of others, like a term paper, or some such?
deleted

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! 2 of the research papers were done in a lab in collaboration with a professor and 2 other students. I was directly involved in carrying out experiments, and they both had distinct hypothesis. The third research paper (the one accepted to the Conference) was more of a term paper where I had to pick a topic and conduct literary reviews to come up with a valid conclusion and support it with evidence that others came up with. This third paper was done by myself with the aid of a research mentor who guided me in writing the paper. When you say "added hours of in-progress ECs," do you mean my nonclinical volunteer hours?
Yes, and perhaps also time in the research lab, more teaching or tutoring, clinically-related experience, resuming the children's camp (if it has started up again), etc.