Jan 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi everyone!

I need help in figuring out my chances of getting into medical school.

See… I did extremely well in high school in a foreign country. I was among the top students. However, I didn’t do well on my SATs because of my reading problem (caused by depression and anxiety).

Anyway, I did get into a foreign university as a pre-med biology major. But my depression got the best of me and I couldn’t do well in college. So I decided to transfer to another foreign university, thinking I would do better. However, my depression hindered me from doing well in this one too.

Now, I got my depression and anxiety under control thanks to a therapeutic program and meds.

The thing is… now I am a U.S. green card holder and I will attend community college in the U.S. to attempt to transfer to a 4-year university and then medical school (in the U.S.)

I will become an American citizen in 5 years. So, assuming I do my undergraduate studies in 5 years and take the MCAT test, I will be an U.S. citizen applying to U.S. medical schools.

So, my question is: assuming I do extremely well in my undergrad studies in the U.S, what are my chances of getting into any med school? Will they overlook my foreign transcripts?

P.S: The foreign universities I attended are both American ones, meaning they have offices in New York (if that changes anything.)

Thanks for your help!

(they could be any med school in the world, such as the Caribbean)

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Can't do anything with out knowing your cGPA, your sGPA and MCAT score.

I need help in figuring out my chances of getting into medical school.

No one cares about your SAT score.

See… I did extremely well in high school in a foreign country. I was among the top students. However, I didn’t do well on my SATs because of my reading problem (caused by depression and anxiety).

Sounds like a plan. Suggest contacting the pre-professional office at your school. Research into AACOMAS' grade replacement policy; this might be your only venue if the foreign schools count against your GPA. Also, get some books on getting into a medical career.

The thing is… now I am a U.S. green card holder and I will attend community college in the U.S. to attempt to transfer to a 4-year university and then medical school (in the U.S.)

I will become an American citizen in 5 years. So, assuming I do my undergraduate studies in 5 years and take the MCAT test, I will be an U.S. citizen applying to U.S. medical schools.

So, my question is: assuming I do extremely well in my undergrad studies in the U.S, what are my chances of getting into any med school? Will they overlook my foreign transcripts?

P.S: The foreign universities I attended are both American ones, meaning they have offices in New York (if that changes anything.)

Thanks for your help!

(they could be any med school in the world, such as the Caribbean)[/quote]

Reactions: Fedxup