MD What are My Chances?; Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LazyPanda121

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Just a brief info about myself (not applying to DO this cycle)

Long story short: 2 Years in Operating Room Volunteer/shadowing, 3 Years homeless volunteering, 2 Years of research lab experience, Leadership position in Club, Intern for free clinic

LOR: Moderate High to Strong
GPA: 3.63, MCAT: 506 (126/129/126/125 yep...here is my problem.)
Personal Statement: Moderate to Strong
California, Asian Male

School List:
UC Davis
UC Riverside
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola University
Rush Medical College
Creighton
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson U.
Penn State University
Commonwealth Med.
George washington University
Georgetown University
Tulane
Medical College of Wisconsin
Oakland University William B
Saint Louis University
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac University
Vermont College of Medicine
Eastern Virginia University
Albany Medical College
New York Medical College

Thank you for reading and my question is: is it possible for me to receive maybe 2 interviews this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also I am adding Tufts (definitely my dream) to the list

(been researching a lot about the school feel like it would be a shame if I don't)

Wow, its tough being a california resident, let alone an asian one. Your chances at MD school are tough given lower mcat scores than all the med schools medians you mentioned. And your GPA doesn't make up for it. I would highly rec that you decide to put the ego aside and apply to DO schools. you may be left empty handed at the end of this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add Temple and Western Michigan. Your chances for a MD acceptance are only 50% with your stats so I suggest applying to at least 8 DO schools.

Wow, its tough being a california resident, let alone an asian one. Your chances at MD school are tough given lower mcat scores than all the med schools medians you mentioned. And your GPA doesn't make up for it. I would highly rec that you decide to put the ego aside and apply to DO schools. you may be left empty handed at the end of this cycle.
hmm for me it is less about the ego..Someone told me that in order to apply to DO I need a LOR from a DO which I don't have....

hmm for me it is less about the ego..Someone told me that in order to apply to DO I need a LOR from a DO which I don't have....

There are plenty of DO schools that don't require the DO letter, and some where an MD letter suffices. I suggest the following DO Schools:

PCOM (no do letter needed)
Pcom-ga
CCOM (MD letter can replace)
AZCOM (MD letter can replace)
Lecom (DO letter no longer needed)
Nova (MD letter can replace)
Any other DO school that doesn't require a DO letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you @gyngyn @bengirlxD ...I will definitely look into it...I am actually doing a full time summer program at the moment (going to present at a conference at the end of it)...I ll try to acquire or at least start shadowing a D.O towards the end of this summer....My plan is also to potentially retake the MCAT next year if I don't get in this cycle.

if you don't mind me asking @gyngyn would you please share the 5 schools on my list you feel like I have a fair chance at an interview? and is there any school that you feel like I have absolutely no chance if I apply?

I appreciate all of the help in midst of this dark dark application time :)

If you used the MSAR, I'll bet you can guess!
hahaha..yeah MSAR was def. the best tool to come up with school list..that being said I will be ecstatic with even 2 interviews this cycle..we shall see maybe something magical will happen!

Thank you again for the help~ have a great day!

Reactions: 1 user