what are my chances? Post-bac with MBA...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMAN2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I need some advice. I have quite a few questions posted but feel free to answer whatever you want:

Background:

BCMP GPA: 3.78
Total GPA: 3.84
Graduate GPA: 3.50

I am a white male. I have good ECs but nothing too amazing.

I got my bachelor's in econ and stat from UC Berkeley and was one class shy of getting an applied math major on top of my double major. Because I took a lot of upper division & graduate level math and stat classes, my BCMP suffered a bit. In most of my classes I got an A. In one class, abstract algebra, I got a C. I admit it was hard and I did not understand much (although I would love another crack at it).

Then I went on to a PhD program in Business Finance in a top 10 university. The program was tough (I was not oriented so much towards their sort of research) and I decided I had enough of school for now, so I got an MBA instead and worked for about 14 months.

When I was working I took gen chem at a local university and did well. I quit work and decided to go back to school full time. Right now I have a 4.0 in my post-bacc courses and I expect to keep it that way through my last quarter this spring.

I will be applying this cycle for fall of 2010.
I have not yet taken the MCAT.

My questions:

1) Because I will only finish my pre-reqs this June, I am planning to take the MCAT in the summer. At first I wanted to take it in August. But everybody told me to apply as soon as possible. Therefore I came up with this plan:

I will take it on June 18th. I will keep on studying until I get my scores back within 30 days. If I am not satisfied, and because I have continued to study, I will take it again either in late July or mid August.

Is this reasonable? Or should I wait until I am ready and then take it only once?

In the first couple practice tests I have taken I got an MCAT score of 30.

I think by the time of the exam it is reasonable for me to score 33 or 34 but maybe as low as 30.

I would like to get a high enough score to be competitive at the "top tier schools" but I think I would probably need a 35 or higher. I was thinking that if I get a 33, for example, many of my "within reach schools" could be interested. Maybe I will even get really lucky and lock down a school. Then I can take it again and try to get a higher score for the dream schools.

Do schools take another look at you if you score higher the second time? If school X passes on me because I do not meet the cutoffs the first time, will they come back to me a second time if I do meet those cutoffs at a later date?

I know, I am speculating a lot here, bear with me.

2) Also, I am planning to be out of the country after I take the MCAT and complete my application. Is that a major problem for filling out secondaries?

I do not mind flying back and forth if I get interviews. I just don't want to compromise sending my secondaries back in way later. Most can be done online right?

3) How helpful is it to have an MBA? Should I focus a lot on it during my application process?

Am I right to feel that some schools would value it a lot more than others?

4) The PhD program I was in was very tough. I did mostly well. But I did get a D and a C in two different PhD econ courses in two different quarters (part of the reason the PhD did not pan out for me and I opted for the MBA). How negative an impact does that have?

My reasoning is that I really tried to push myself beyond my limits and sometimes it backfired. I am ok with it and I did learn a lot from these experiences on both a personal and academic level. I just hope the admission committees take course work difficulty into account.

5) I was a third author on a paper back in my undergrad that was about statistics. Will this be useful for me during the application process? Can I claim I have been published? It was a while ago and I have since moved away from that kind of research but it was valuable nonetheless.

6) Finally, which schools do you think I have a shot at? I would love to go to UCLA (or any other California school -- I am a resident) partly because I grew up there but I know it is very very competitive.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot is going to depend on your MCAT. If you pull out a 30+ I think you'll definitely get in somewhere.

I have good ECs but nothing too amazing.
This is also pretty important. Have you had some clinical experiences?

1) Because I will only finish my pre-reqs this June, I am planning to take the MCAT in the summer. At first I wanted to take it in August. But everybody told me to apply as soon as possible. Therefore I came up with this plan:

I will take it on June 18th. I will keep on studying until I get my scores back within 30 days. If I am not satisfied, and because I have continued to study, I will take it again either in late July or mid August.

Is this reasonable? Or should I wait until I am ready and then take it only once?

In the first couple practice tests I have taken I got an MCAT score of 30.

I think by the time of the exam it is reasonable for me to score 33 or 34 but maybe as low as 30.

I would like to get a high enough score to be competitive at the "top tier schools" but I think I would probably need a 35 or higher. I was thinking that if I get a 33, for example, many of my "within reach schools" could be interested. Maybe I will even get really lucky and lock down a school. Then I can take it again and try to get a higher score for the dream schools.

Do schools take another look at you if you score higher the second time? If school X passes on me because I do not meet the cutoffs the first time, will they come back to me a second time if I do meet those cutoffs at a later date?

I know, I am speculating a lot here, bear with me.

Wait until you are ready and take it once. A 30 will do. You want to submit before August.

2) Also, I am planning to be out of the country after I take the MCAT and complete my application. Is that a major problem for filling out secondaries?

I do not mind flying back and forth if I get interviews. I just don't want to compromise sending my secondaries back in way later. Most can be done online right?

I believe that a few are sent via snail mail. Maybe you could have a neighbor check your mail once a week?

3) How helpful is it to have an MBA? Should I focus a lot on it during my application process?

I don't know. Your graduate GPA is a bit low, that may hurt you.

Am I right to feel that some schools would value it a lot more than others?

Probably. If you can find out which ones, I think you can increase your chances of acceptance.

4) The PhD program I was in was very tough. I did mostly well. But I did get a D and a C in two different PhD econ courses in two different quarters (part of the reason the PhD did not pan out for me and I opted for the MBA). How negative an impact does that have?

Doesn't look great, IMO. Your undergrad GPA is pretty good though.

My reasoning is that I really tried to push myself beyond my limits and sometimes it backfired. I am ok with it and I did learn a lot from these experiences on both a personal and academic level. I just hope the admission committees take course work difficulty into account.

5) I was a third author on a paper back in my undergrad that was about statistics. Will this be useful for me during the application process? Can I claim I have been published? It was a while ago and I have since moved away from that kind of research but it was valuable nonetheless.

Yes this will help you, and yes it means you have been published.

6) Finally, which schools do you think I have a shot at? I would love to go to UCLA (or any other California school -- I am a resident) partly because I grew up there but I know it is very very competitive.

What is your state of residency? If it is CA, and you kill the MCAT, I think you have a shot at UCLA. You'll also have a shot at some other CA schools.

If your state of residence is not CA, you may have a shot at UCLA if you kill the MCAT, but you won't have much of a chance at other CA schools.

Does it matter if you did post-bac in MBA vs something like biology????