What are my chances? Recently decided on Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ms.mollymay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I will be applying this next cycle in 2016 and am pretty nervous as I only recently decided on dental (year and a half ago). Currently a super senior graduating in December. I have not taken the DAT so I cannot provide you with that stat (guessing I will do veryyyyy average or slightly below average) but here is what I do have... Additionally I do have two dental internships lined up to start in December and am currently shadowing a dentist weekly for 5 hours in order to increase my dental hours. I feel like I will have a strong interview. Also, I am planning on only applying to ONE dental school and if I do not get in I will reapply the next year...is this a dumb decision? Please be brutally honest. Thanks in advance!

Major: Dietetics

Minor: Spanish & Biochemistry

Current total GPA: 3.809 strong upward trend
Gen Chem 1 = A
Gen Chem 2 = A
Orgo 1 = B
Orgo 1 Lab = A
Orgo 2 = C
Orgo 2 Lab = B
Physics 1 =A
Physics 1 Lab = A
Physics 2 = A
Physics 2 Lab = A
Biochem 1 & 2 = A
Bio 1 = B
Bio 1 Lab = A
Ecology = A
Micro Bio = A
Calculus = C

Projects

- Health Fair (Fall 2012)
I organized a community health fair
- ‘Greeks for Cheeks’
I implemented an on campus program that provides education to Greeks regarding the bone marrow donation process. So far I have registered over 43 Greek community members.

Clinical Experience

- 200+ hours of shadowing doctors in various specialties
General pediatrics (71), neonatology (3), orthopedic surgery (12), trauma (34), pediatric hematology oncology (9), spinal orthopedics (4), obstetrics and gynecology (10), anesthesiology (6), pediatric dentistry (12), and general dentistry (35).

- Summer Medical and Dental Program at the University of Texas Medical Center Houston

- Global Medical and Dental Brigade to San Lorenzo, Honduras

- Research Assistant for the Brain Imaging, Behavior Lab

Volunteering

- 120+ hours of volunteering in the Pediatric Emergency department and Pediatric Hematology Oncology unit at a hospital

- 100+ hours of volunteering with kids and horse therapy

Leadership and Involvement

- Tri-Lateral Youth Ambassador Exchange Program
- Chi Omega Sorority (Fall 2011- Present)
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Health Honorary
- Resident Assistant
- General Chemistry 151 & 152 Preceptorship
- Pre M.D. Ambassador
- Preceptor Coordinator for General Chemistry 151 & 152
- Waitress, hostess, and expo for restauraunt
- Diet Technician at a hospital
- Preceptor for Medical Nutrition course

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We just need "GPA = 3.8"
Answer-Good chance.
Also how is your GPA 3.8 if orgo and calc you got c which is roughly 9 credits. Then you got a B in 2 labs which is roughly 2 credits each, and then bio resulting in 6 credits in B. So 9 credits C and 6 Credits B. You could only get that GPA if you got an A in every single class you took.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying GPA is more important than community & campus involvement/dental experience?
Yes is that not obvious? however I am not saying community is not important, but Yea GPA is WAY MORE IMPORTANT. Also I updated my previous post with the GPA calculation, respond to that please.
People get in with 3.6 GPA and like 50 hours volunteering all the time SDN.

Yes is that not obvious? however I am not saying community is not important, but Yea GPA is WAY MORE IMPORTANT. Also I updated my previous post with the GPA calculation, respond to that please.
People get in with 3.6 GPA and like 50 hours volunteering all the time SDN.

3.8 is my overall. And our labs are 1 unit. Attached is my total course history

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.37.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.37.50 PM.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.38.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.38.04 PM.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.38.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 5.38.37 PM.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 63
It looks like you have a lot of good experiences and a good GPA. However, I think you should consider taking the specifics of your activities off SDN because this is still the internet

Reactions: 1 user
it looks like the only thing you need is a DAT. You can apply this year if you hurry up with your DAT. Even though its late, you have great stats for acceptance. Of course, applying this late might not get you to go to a school or your choice though (in state school).

Oh and why do you say you think you'll do "average" on the DAT. Aim for 20+. It wont be that hard for you.

It looks like you have a lot of good experiences and a good GPA. However, I think you should consider taking the specifics of your activities off SDN because this is still the internet
Thank you! taken care of and updated:)

it looks like the only thing you need is a DAT. You can apply this year if you hurry up with your DAT. Even though its late, you have great stats for acceptance. Of course, applying this late might not get you to go to a school or your choice though (in state school).

Oh and why do you say you think you'll do "average" on the DAT. Aim for 20+. It wont be that hard for you.

I plan on aiming for the twenties... but honestly I am just a hard worker and not that great at exam taking... I did very average on the SAT.

I plan on aiming for the twenties... but honestly I am just a hard worker and not that great at exam taking... I did very average on the SAT.

You'll do great. Dont worry too much about it and be confident. I believe just being confident about the exam will raise your DAT 1-2 points.

Why ONE dental school?
Moving to a new state this December with my boyfriend. We want to try to stay in that state. We don't wanna do long distance. If I got into a school far away then idk if he would follow me either

Moving to a new state this December with my boyfriend. We want to try to stay in that state. We don't wanna do long distance. If I got into a school far away then idk if he would follow me either
If you dont get in your dont get in, but if you apply to more schools you have chances at other schools. Your only logical option is then to keep applying every year to the same state if you do not get. Seems pretty weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 is my overall. And our labs are 1 unit. Attached is my total course history
Not necessary, could have just said only labs are 1 unit, A for effort.

Not necessary, could have just said only labs are 1 unit, A for effort.
Did not really understand your question, or why you were doubting what I said, so I just tried to give you all the information possible.

Love has no limits!

Reactions: 1 users
Aww you guysss are sooo cute...

You will have a greater chance getting into dental school if you apply broadly. That is just a statistical fact. However, since you really want to go to this one school I think that the admission people will take that into account knowing that if you are accepted you will attend. Idk though, I'm just speculating. Regardless, focus on the DAT for now

.....Mr. Tough Guy on forums over there
Don't pay attention to people like that. Seems like a troll that feeds on putting others down. @OSUkid You might be able to hide this immature attitude from the SDN moderators, but trust me you won't be able to hide your attitude from ADCOMS. They'll pick it up during your interviews (if you get one) and send you packing.

Also, I am planning on only applying to ONE dental school and if I do not get in I will reapply the next year

I think you have the only legitimate reason to apply to just a single school. However, I know I'm just a stranger to you, but I really do hope you are expecting to marry or spend the rest of your life with your boyfriend. If you have ANY doubt, apply to a few schools. I would only consider applying to a single school once I had a solid engagement to marry if I were in your position. This is a huge gamble regardless of your stats. Good luck with everything! :)

Make sure you check the stats of this one school and see what kind of DAT score they look for. And make sure it's not Loma Linda, meharry or Howard. Because they look for certain types of applicants...

Definitely apply to several schools. You want to increase your chances of getting in.

Other than that, I am a Chi Omega alum!!!!

LICO, MCMO :owle::love::love::love:

.....Mr. Tough Guy on forums over there
Don't pay attention to people like that. Seems like a troll that feeds on putting others down. @OSUkid You might be able to hide this immature attitude from the SDN moderators, but trust me you won't be able to hide your attitude from ADCOMS. They'll pick it up during your interviews (if you get one) and send you packing.
You must have some sort of social anxiety if you think I meant that. It was a joke if you saw his thread on leaving SDN you would understand. Also Im not as simple as you, I am multi dimensional, in interviews I put a smile on my face like Bruce Wayne, but I AM BATMAN!....loser hahaha

What's the state you are trying to move to? If you aren't an instate applicant for an oos school, then your chances are low. If being with your BF is a priority to you more so than dental school, I would apply to other professional schools (PA, etc.) in the area.

If being with your BF is a priority to you more so than dental school, I would apply to other professions in the area.
The correct phrase would be, "you should apply" she does not care what you're going to do.

What's the state you are trying to move to? If you aren't an instate applicant for an oos school, then your chances are low. If being with your BF is a priority to you more so than dental school, I would apply to other professional schools (PA, etc.) in the area.
I will be moving to Colorado this December from another WICHE state. I appreciate your input:) From my understanding Colorado is an EXTREMELY competitive school. In my state we don't have any public dental schools only private (super pricy)... I would not mind waiting a year for in state residency to be honest

Definitely apply to several schools. You want to increase your chances of getting in.

Other than that, I am a Chi Omega alum!!!!

LICO, MCMO :owle::love::love::love:
Thanks for the love!! We say LIXO :) lol thanks for your input

I will be moving to Colorado this December from another WICHE state. I appreciate your input:) From my understanding Colorado is an EXTREMELY competitive school. In my state we don't have any public dental schools only private (super pricy)... I would not mind waiting a year for in state residency to be honest
Yeah, colorado is pretty tough for OOS. But I think it's relatively easy to get residency there

Thanks for the love!! We say LIXO :) lol thanks for your input
I know you mentioned above that it is because of your boyfriend that you are applying to only one school, but from one sister to another, I would definitely have a talk with him about applying to several schools, especially if dentistry is something that you want to do. My reason for saying this is because I did something similar. I was living with my (then) boyfriend of several years, engaged to be engaged type of thing, and decided not to apply to dental school because he would not be able to follow me. We actually ended up breaking up a year later, something nobody would have thought. Long story short, I took some time for myself, got a Master's degree, and am obviously applying this cycle. However, had I done what was best for me, I would probably already be a D2.

Spend the next year or so thinking about what is best for you. Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
You'll be spending more time in your career than you will be with your SO. You should be putting your future first and not tying yourself down for someone else

Tell your partner that 2,000 applicants isnt uncommon for 70-100 seats. The numbers should be your guide in making a good decision and should help to make him understand.

Users are reminded to engage in civil conversation without insulting each other or name calling.
@Winged Scapula

You must have some sort of social anxiety if you think I meant that. It was a joke if you saw his thread on leaving SDN you would understand. Also Im not as simple as you, I am multi dimensional, in interviews I put a smile on my face like Bruce Wayne, but I AM BATMAN!....loser hahaha

The admin can sense sarcasm, you seem upset, do not take it out on me guy, you were probably one of those exceptions who made into dental school because your IQ is akin to that of a :beaver:.hahaha

The admin can sense sarcasm, you seem upset, do not take it out on me guy, you were probably one of those exceptions who made into dental school because your IQ is akin to that of a :beaver:.hahaha
Humor is not your strong suit.

Obviously not, that would make for not so formidable suit, which is why I said I am batman. Batman has a strong suit.
Hey, your hurt a few of my feelings, thus I am gonna listen to my friend @dyesht, since your bringing me down.
Don't pay attention to people like that. Seems like a troll that feeds on putting others down. @OSUkid

Having a life is not your strong suit, because I just edited the typo within 5 seconds. Must be waiting for alerts?
Its a big red notification at the top, kind of hard to miss.

Grammar is not you're strong suit. :welcome:
I know its not.

Pot... let me introduce you to kettle

Hey, your hurt a few of my feelings, thus I am gonna listen to my friend @dyesht, since your bringing me down.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Pot... let me introduce you to kettle

:thumbup:
LMFAOOOOO you really fell into the trap. You know you were right the first time it is "your", you do realize "you're" means you are, so in other words you said"Grammar is not you are strong suit", when it supposed to be your. Allow me to reintroduce my previous joke "your IQ is akin to that of a :beaver:" LOOOOOL too funny man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.