What are my Chances/Retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chase K 13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres a brief synopsis of my application:

Just graduated Western Kentucky University B.S. Chemistry minor Biophysics. I am applying this cycle and taking an elective gap year.

sGPA: 3.48
cumGPA: 3.67
Current MCAT: 504 (February 3rd 2016, 67th percentile) (plan to retake June 2nd with target of 510+)
EC's (just listed, no order of significance):
-Biotechnology Certification
-Emergency Medical Technician state and national certification (Job lined up beginning in August)
-Restaurant host/waiter/manager on winter and summer breaks my starting junior year of high school to sophomore year of college. (40-50 hours a week during college breaks.)
- Biophysics 1&2 Lab Teachers Assistant (~4-6 hours per week) for three semesters
- Chemistry 1 Lab Teachers Assistant. (3 hours per week). One semester (my last semester of senior year)
-Physicians office assistant at OMFSA (fathers practice) (Summer 2014)
-Shadowing = ~100 hours (Cardiologist, Pediatrician, General Surgeon, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, OBGYN, Emergency Medicine)
-Fraternity member, pledge class treasurer, scholarship chair, Rho Alpha (leading/organizing potential new members through the rush process) one semester in each role (four semesters total membership in fraternity)
- Founding member and Treasurer of the WKU AHEC Student Rural Health Association Chapter (January 2015 – May 2016) (focus on community outreach and addressing rural health issues in KY)
- Creating the position of Physics/Astronomy Ambassador and then filling the roll (All other science departments had a similar position and the Physics&Astronomy did not. Entailed: representing the department at WKU sponsored recruitment events, participating in department sponsored events, and forming a template presentation and giving said presentation to high school classes, and sustaining the position by helping in the selection of a new ambassador.) October 2014 – May 2016
- Completed research project with assistance of PhD. Studied the neurobiology of the inflammatory response in mice due to sleep and obtained viable results (poster created depicting research project, but no publication). August 2014 – May 2016
-University of Kentucky Medical School Admissions Boot Camp summer program (May 2014)
- Rural Health Scholars AHEC WKU summer program (June 2014)
- University of Kentucky PEPP II pre-medical summer program (June 2015)

Future EC's to be included on secondaries (or personal statement):
-Research trip to Barrow, AK funded by an NSF grant obtained by said PhD to study migratory bird patterns and their related sleep patterns. June 3rd-June 16th
-Global Brigades humanitarian trip to Nicaragua aiding in construction of infrastructure and direct patient treatment. Aug 1st - Aug 8th

My question is should I go through with the retake of the MCAT given my low science GPA and low first score? I'm confident I can improve my MCAT score, but being its a second attempt and theres also a possibility of it decreasing if I have a horrible test day for some reason or another, is it worth it? I also have the application essentially filled out and plan to submit June 3rd the first minute it opens up. I know these scores probably wouldn't screen me out immediately, but they won't be that shining star either.

I also show a positive trend in GPA until my senior year where I earned a 3.1 and 3.06. The last semester was due to overloading myself, development of a medical issue (now fixed), girl friend breakup with whom I thought I was to marry, etc.

I plan on applying to (not solidified but these are for sure):
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Cincinnati
University of Tennessee
Creighton University

Any input or advice would be great thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can delete Tennessee since you are not a resident of that state. Other schools you can add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Roseman (new school for 2017)
Albany
New York Medical College
Realistically you should be applying to at least 10 DO schools also. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you only have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats, unless you are URM.

You can delete Tennessee since you are not a resident of that state. Other schools you can add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Roseman (new school for 2017)
Albany
New York Medical College
Realistically you should be applying to at least 10 DO schools also. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you only have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats, unless you are URM.

I read on Tennessee's website that they view applicants from Kentucky. I am assuming that you are recommending I should remove UT because they only accept ~ 15 students out of state and my current stats aren't up to par for consideration for one those 15 spots? Would you still hold the same general opinion if I retook the MCAT and scored a 510+, which I know is feasible with the review I've had this semester through coursework, TAing, and already having taken an MCAT in standardized conditions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read on Tennessee's website that they view applicants from Kentucky. I am assuming that you are recommending I should remove UT because they only accept ~ 15 students out of state and my current stats aren't up to par for consideration for one those 15 spots? Would you still hold the same general opinion if I retook the MCAT and scored a 510+, which I know is feasible with the review I've had this semester through coursework, TAing, and already having taken an MCAT in standardized conditions?
Some of those 15 students have connections to Tennessee such as: They are attending the University of Tennessee and every school gives preference to their own undergraduates, One or both parents is an alumnus, a spouse is from the state, etc. . If you receive a higher MCAT score post it here and I can fine tune my advice though I can say that your best chances for a MD acceptance are your own state schools.

Apply to 10 DO schools in addition to the schools listed above by Faha. Unfortunately for MD you have a below average MCAT score and sGPA which isn't a great combination for an MD acceptance, it happens but chances aren't great. So a MCAT retake would possibly help but you would also need to help boost your sGPA, and all this is added on to the fact your trend drops down your last year. For DO you are solid outside of the ones that love MCAT scores.

Apply to 10 DO schools in addition to the schools listed above by Faha. Unfortunately for MD you have a below average MCAT score and sGPA which isn't a great combination for an MD acceptance, it happens but chances aren't great. So a MCAT retake would possibly help but you would also need to help boost your sGPA, and all this is added on to the fact your trend drops down your last year. For DO you are solid outside of the ones that love MCAT scores.

So the general consensus seems to be an improved MCAT score might be the deciding factor, correct?

So the general consensus seems to be an improved MCAT score might be the deciding factor, correct?

I think your sGPA could also be a factor but yes, improving your MCAT will improve your MD chances. But you need to significantly improve. I would aim for 512+

For the sake of argument, lets assume I scored a 512-514 on my upcoming MCAT retake. My chances would probably drastically improve and the low sGPA and trend would become less significant. I'd also likely get into one if not both of my instate MD schools since I have close ties with both from ECs and personal connections. Or do you think the improved MCAT wouldn't be as impactful as I'm thinking/hoping?