What are my chances? School list help? I'm lost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bless_UP

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time post, new SDN

Some background details relevant to my question:

URM male, disadvantaged

2.98 cGPA, (double degree in philosophy and Biology/4.00 postbacc GPA-25credit), 3.66 sGPA and cGPA (graduate dual master program (MS/MBA) at a top 15 school), have completed the MS portion and just recently begun the MBA portion in the spring. None of the MBA GPA factors currently factors in to my grad GPA.

Took the MCAT on June 29, It goes without saying that given my poor undergrad performance, a low MCAT score would be damaging. Aimed for at least a 510. But with how difficult that June 29 test was especially, CARS/Psych which were among my strongest areas. Its possible that i end up with a low 500.

I have strong experiences in Research (2 in undergrad plus current paid employment in a lab >5,000 hours), Clinical (medical scribe, physician clinic and OR shadowing, victim advocate >1,000hrs), nonclinical volunteering (at least 3.5 years not sure the number of hours but it's in the hundredth), and leadership roles from college: SGA & university senate, university department ambassador, president of a community service club, university newspaper columnist/Staff writer with regional-national writing awards and recognition. I'd initially expected to have two publications as a middle author in the lab I currently work, but i'm not so sure of the timeline anymore.

The problem is i’m extremely worried about my uGPA, both the cumulative and science being below 3.00. In particular, I'm afraid I’ll get screened out in the application. I miscalculated how many credits I needed to achieve a 3.00 and fell short with a 2.98 instead. I had extenuating circumstances and challenges (health/family related) beyond my control during my undergrad years but even still, my gpa is still terribly low.

With that being said, for the real question, What schools should I consider applying given my stat? Any promising schools or safety? What are my chances at some middle tier/upper low tier schools (reach) schools?

I currently have my home school University of Maryland, and Howard University on my list.

Please provide any comments. I SINCERELY would appreciate it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Your postbacc GPA is a very good sign. Not much more advice can be given without an MCAT score, but what URM are you? If you're African-American, you'd be competitive for all of the HBCUs as well as a few other schools even with a ~504 score.

Members don't see this ad :)
First time post, new SDN

Some background details relevant to my question:

URM male, disadvantaged

2.98 cGPA, (double degree in philosophy and Biology/4.00 postbacc GPA-25credit), 3.66 sGPA and cGPA (graduate dual master program (MS/MBA) at a top 15 school), have completed the MS portion and just recently begun the MBA portion in the spring. None of the MBA GPA factors currently factors in to my grad GPA.

Took the MCAT on June 29, It goes without saying that given my poor undergrad performance, a low MCAT score would be damaging. Aimed for at least a 510. But with how difficult that June 29 test was especially, CARS/Psych which were among my strongest areas. Its possible that i end up with a low 500.

I have strong experiences in Research (2 in undergrad plus current paid employment in a lab >5,000 hours), Clinical (medical scribe, physician clinic and OR shadowing, victim advocate >1,000hrs), nonclinical volunteering (at least 3.5 years not sure the number of hours but it's in the hundredth), and leadership roles from college: SGA & university senate, university department ambassador, president of a community service club, university newspaper columnist/Staff writer with regional-national writing awards and recognition. I'd initially expected to have two publications as a middle author in the lab I currently work, but i'm not so sure of the timeline anymore.

The problem is i’m extremely worried about my uGPA, both the cumulative and science being below 3.00. In particular, I'm afraid I’ll get screened out in the application. I miscalculated how many credits I needed to achieve a 3.00 and fell short with a 2.98 instead. I had extenuating circumstances and challenges (health/family related) beyond my control during my undergrad years but even still, my gpa is still terribly low.

With that being said, for the real question, What schools should I consider applying given my stat? Any promising schools or safety? What are my chances at some middle tier/upper low tier schools (reach) schools?

I currently have my home school University of Maryland, and Howard University on my list.

Please provide any comments. I SINCERELY would appreciate it. Thank you.
What was the nature of the MS/MBA? The MBA part won't help. Adcoms need to know that you can handle med school
As URM doctors are needed, you'll not get auto-rejected for having a 2.98 cGPA.
But just in case, read this:

What was the nature of the MS/MBA? The MBA part won't help. Adcoms need to know that you can handle med school
As URM doctors are needed, you'll not get auto-rejected for having a 2.98 cGPA.
But just in case, read this:
The MS was in Biotechnology with a concentration in Molecular Targets & Drug Discovery; MBA concentrate is in Healthcare Management. What schools should I consider applying to?

Your postbacc GPA is a very good sign. Not much more advice can be given without an MCAT score, but what URM are you? If you're African-American, you'd be competitive for all of the HBCUs as well as a few other schools even with a ~504 score.
I’m an African American URM. Since I still have a few more days/ weeks before the score comes out, but need to apply and send primaries to some schools. What other schools would you suggest with a low 500 Mcat

The MS was in Biotechnology with a concentration in Molecular Targets & Drug Discovery; MBA concentrate is in Healthcare Management. What schools should I consider applying to?
ALL HBCs, including UCLA/Drew
U MD
Oakland U Beaumont
Gtown
EVMS
Rush
SLU (maybe)
MCW
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
MCW
Rosy Franklin
U Miami
Seton Hall
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
TCU/UNT
WVU
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and has a too small a rotations base, it seems.