What are my chances/School list help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amint32

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
This post is for a close friend of mine. Her stats are as follows cGPA 3.8 and sGPA 3.8 MCAT 498. One clinical research experience and over a year working as a medical assistant in an orthopedic group. Was highly involved during undergrad and was a student athlete at a division 1 school. She is concerned about her low MCAT score and was curious if she would be okay to apply to a few schools or if she should retake it. She also plans to apply to some DO schools in which I think she would be okay to do so? Thoughts and opinions please! Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Her state of residence: Pa
Graduated with a B.S. in Biology
250+ hrs of shadowing MD and DO

Agreed. Absolutely no chance at MD schools (especially as a PA resident) and maybe a 10-25% chance at DO schools. Tell her to retake the MCAT. Her GPA shows that if she applied herself to studying for it more, she is more than capable of scoring a 500+ (near minimum for most DO programs) to a 510+ (Decent for MD). Tell her not to retake until she is scoring a 508+ on her full-length exams (she will want 10+ point improvement on a retake, otherwise it can be seen as a red flag). Applying this cycle would likely be a waste of time and money. Tell her to spend her quarantine inside studying for an MCAT retake haha.

Reactions: 2 users