What are my chances? School list suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncstate23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently a Junior studying genetics with a minor in German, first time applicant, NC State Resident
Female, Indian (Asian)
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.82
Taking MCAT in May 2017, but my last Next Step practice test was a 507

ECs
Academic/campus type things:

-Comparative Medicine Research Intern, Summer 2016: yielded first author publication, submitted -April 2017, ISME-Journal
-Undergraduate Research assistant: Spring 2016-Current
-Genetics TA: Fall2016-Current (2 semesters so far)
-Organic Chemistry TA: Fall 2016-current (2 semesters so far)
-Study Abroad: Summer chemistry program/Research at Zhejiang University: Hangzhou, China (Summer 2015)
-Student Government: Judicial Board and Student Conduct Board (September 2014-Current)
-Phi Beta Kappa Member
-Phi Kappa Phi Member

***In High School: Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Scholarship Recipient: Worked with US Congress, German Bundestag and US Department of State as an intern in Germany for 11 months during high school. Still heavily involved in the program- help with interviewing new applicants, help with integration programs in Washington, etc.

Shadowing
Gynecologist/Obstetrician: 70 Hours
Pediatrician: 25 Hours
Neurologist: 50 Hours
(Germany): General Practitioner: 75 hours

Volunteering
CLINICAL
Public Health Center in NC- August 2015- Present: Approx 300 hrs.
-Worked in the WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) program: guided patients through nutritional programs for pregnant women and mothers of children 0-6 years old
-Assisted doctors in breastfeeding help and education
-Worked in Sexually transmitted diseases & HIV clinic
-Assisted with HIV testing and counseling as well as treatment of other sexually transmitted diseases

NON-CLINICAL
Boys and Girls Club: August 2014-Present Approx 300 hrs.
Originally started off as a normal volunteer and after-school tutor, but had the idea of throwing monthly birthday parties for the kids, so started off my getting a group of friends/people in my dorm to go, but soon became an actual monthly event and got a larger more diverse group from campus to go

University Activities Board (on-campus):
Part of the Homecoming and Concert planning committee here on campus, help plan out concerts, different events on campus. Was more specifically the financial advisor of the group (wrote out budget, etc)

As far as my school list goes- I was really really really hoping to stay in-state: Brody @ ECU, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest for MD, Campbell for DO. Other than that- I don't really know what other schools were good options. If not in NC, would like to stay on the East Coast. Also- thinking if going into primary care/Gynecology and Obstetrics, so schools that specialize in this would be great.

Thanks!!!!!!! Honest opinions please!

Members don't see this ad.