What are my chances? Should I increase my school list? (MD+DO) (3.3cGPA/503/CA/URM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nn0401

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Thanks for clicking. I feel like a hail mary applicant with my stats.. What are my chances? Should I increase the number of schools I've applied to (both MD and DO) just to increase my probability of an acceptance?

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.1
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
March 2021: 503 (125/125/127/126)
September 2020: 499 (124/124/124/127)
3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
California resident, ties to Ohio (resident and family studying at university in Ohio)
4. Ethnicity and/or race
URM - Armenian
5. Undergraduate institution or category
B.S. in Biology, graduated 2020 from T40 university (according to US News ranking)
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
- Volunteering - Hospital, 100hrs, Orthopedic Recovery and Labor & Delivery
- Chiropractic assistant - Clinic in low income neighborhood - 630hrs
- Medical assistant - Dermatology clinic - 4000hrs
7. Research experience and productivity
- Neurology research - 1400hrs - assisted in Alzheimer’s and migraine research
- Neurology research (second lab) - 1100hrs - assisted in Alzheimer’s and opioid addiction research
- Published my own research paper (aka sole author) in an undergraduate journal for biological sciences (with second research lab) - 240hrs
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
Dermatology, Neurology, Orthopedics, OB/GYN (See clinical info above)
9. Non-clinical volunteering
(Random volunteering/philanthropic work within my sorority)
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
- Vice President and Senate board member of my sorority (culturally associated) - 400hrs
- Board member (social media director) of medical Armenian club - 170hrs
- Board member (social media director) of poker club - 90hrs
- Studying Abroad (Italy) - 110hrs (counted hours I spent in the classroom)
- Barista (Starbucks) - 1800hrs
11.Relevant honors or awards
Personal publication (See research experience above)
12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Almost all of these extracurriculars listed were part-time during the school year, then during summers I would usually transition to full-time.

MD (Total: 40)
(Note: I obviously applied to all my in-state schools, and did my best with the use of MSAR to find OOS schools that were on the lower end of stat acceptances and were OOS applicant friendly.)
(IS): UCI, UCLA, UCD, UCSD, UCR, UCSD, California University of Sciences and Medicine, California Northstate, Kaiser (Tyson), USC (Keck), Stanford
(OOS): Albany, Case Western, Central Michigan Uni, Drexel, East Tennessee State (Quillen), Quinnipiac (Frank H Netter), Geisinger, George Washington, Georgetown, Hackensack, Howard, LSU Shreveport, Loyola Stritch, Marshall (Joan C Edwards), Medical College of Wisconsin, Meharry, Michigan State University, Morehouse, Rush, TCU, Tulane, University of Arizona, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Texas Rio Grande, University of Toledo, Virginia Tech Carilion, Washington State University (Elson S Floyd), Wright State (Boonshoft)
DO (Total: 17)
(IS): California Health Sciences, Tuoro (CA), Western (Pacific, CA)
(OOS): A.T. Still, Burrell, Des Moines, Michigan State, Midwestern, New York Institute of Technology, Noorda, Nova (Kiran C Patel), Ohio Heritage, Pacific Northwest, Rocky Vista, Touro (NY+NV), University of Incarnate Word, Western (OR)

Any and all advice is appreciated! I feel really solid about my primary and secondary essays : ). My biggest concern is my stats obviously (and I'm not too keen on the idea of postponing med school for a SMP or post-bacc).. I feel like a somewhat well-rounded applicant (unless some of you think otherwise haha). Thanks for making it this far!

Members don't see this ad.

You can drop quite a few of the MD schools on your list, either because your stats are too low for them, or they accept very few OOS applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Remove all the public schools where you are out of state. They almost don’t even look at their OOS applicants, and if they do, their applicants are regional (eg Toledo looks at Michigan and IN applicants).
This includes: CMU, ETSU, Marshall, LSU, MSU, Wash St, Kentucky, Louisville, UTRGV, Wright St, U of AZ, Toledo.
UCR has regional bias to the “Inland Empire” applicants
Remove the historically black colleges: Meharry, Morehouse, Howard
Your stats make you not competitive at: Case Western, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, Stanford, UCI, USC. Honestly your stats are far below Western’s and Midwestern’s medians too.

I cannot recommend the following DO schools: Noorda, NOVA, MSU, UIW, Burrell. CHSU is too new, but you also need some new schools on your list with your stats. Midwestern is way too expensive.

I would focus your application on more DO programs. PCOM and KCU and their regional campuses are solid. LECOM (and regional campuses) is so cheap that you should probably put them on the list too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not competitive for MD schools with your stats. Concentrate on your DO application and I suggest all these:
CHSU-COM
TUCOM-CA
WESTERN
TUNCOM
ATSU (both schools)
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LECOM (all schools)
NYIT (both schools)

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t apply to MD schools. You aren’t competive for MD schools so save the money. Unfortunately you come from a very tough state. What exactly is your nonclinical volunteering? I don’t think Armenian is URM? You have several schools on your list that focus on AA applicants. Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? Your MD list isn’t realistic at all - your GPAS and 2x MCAT makes me think you don’t understand the process or expectations.
If you have already submitted your primary, think seriously about skipping MD secondaries and focus on doing an exceptional job with the DO secondaries.
And many schools average multiple MCATS so yours is more like 501.

Reactions: 4 users