What are my chances(So far)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anyusernamenottaken

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering about where I stand with my chances for getting into medical school (dont really have a preference btwn MD/DO)
Undergrad= BA in Business Administration
cGPA= 3.72
sGPA= 3.82
MCAT= Not yet taken

Worked full time throughout college(worked my way up through the ranks into a management position if that matters any) (up until a year ago or so)

Have the LoR's needed.
Shadowing: approx 25-30 hrs of physician shadowing and about another 20 of shadowing a CRNA
Volunteer: aprox 200 hrs (2 seasons) of a freshman football coach at the high school I graduated from.
All i have left is the MCAT and to take physics2 /orgo 2 labs (already taken the lecture)

I know the MCAT is a major factor so a lot hinges on that, but I just wanted to get a sense of where I stand/what im weak/strong on

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You need 100+ hours of clinical volunteering. If you score at least 500 on the MCAT you would be competitive for some DO schools. With a 508 MCAT you would be competitive for some MD schools.

GPA is great, only thing you need is to take your prereqs, take the MCAT, and add some clinical experience. Your app right now is pretty much dead without that clinical experience. I got 200 hours in a year by volunteering at my local ER for 4 hours a week so you should have enough time between now and the next cycle to rack up 100+ hours. A 500+ would leave you pretty solid for DO and a 507+ would leave you solid for MD.

-Take MCAT
-Get at least 100 hours of clinical volunteering
-Finish prereqs (not a big deal if you don't have them done by the time you apply)
-Maybe add a few more shadowing hours (50 hours is ideal).

Edit: I posted this right as Faha posted his/her comment. I swear we didn't cheat off each others comment.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is great, only thing you need is to take your prereqs, take the MCAT, and add some clinical experience. Your app right now is pretty much dead without that clinical experience. I got 200 hours in a year by volunteering at my local ER for 4 hours a week so you should have enough time between now and the next cycle to rack up 100+ hours. A 500+ would leave you pretty solid for DO and a 507+ would leave you solid for MD.

-Take MCAT
-Get at least 100 hours of clinical volunteering
-Finish prereqs (not a big deal if you don't have them done by the time you apply)
-Maybe add a few more shadowing hours (50 hours is ideal).

Edit: I posted this right as Faha posted his/her comment. I swear we didn't cheat off each others comment.
Would working as an EMT count as clinical? or does it have to be volunteer?