What are my chances? Speech pathology to DO.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoxCat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening, all! I am a currently practicing speech pathologist; I have been in the field for 9 years in medical settings working closely with nurses, PA, and doctors in subacute rehab settings. I decided that I want to do more for my patients, so I have decided to move up in the medical world.

I took a year off work in 2016-2017 to care for my sick wife and children and take pre-requisites for PA school. When I started looking at the required courses for DO/MD programs I realized that I could take a few more courses and apply to medical programs, and I wasn't sure if I would be satisfied as a PA.

My undergrad GPA was terrible; I graduated with a 2.89. I had a sharp upward curve; my GPA after sophomore year was a 2.44. During my year off I took 40 credits of introductory and upper level sciences at a community college and a local 4-year uni. My GPA in that 40 credits was 3.95 and my last 60 credits is 3.85, almost all science credits. My current total undergrad/post-bacc GPA is a 3.1; my GPA in grad school was a 3.65.

With all that considered, would I have an honest shot at a DO/MD program? I am currently taking my last class (biochem) and prepping for the MCAT. Based on past performance on standardized tests I am hoping I can get at least a 510. I thank you for any advice you can offer.

Courses I have taken in the last year: Intro to General Chem w/lab, Intro to Organic and Biochem w/ lab, Pathogenic Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology w/lab, senior-level Pathology, junior-level Physiology, Statistics I, Lifespan Psychology, Medical Biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your MCAT is at least 500 you should be able to receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools. A 510 would be competitive for most DO schools and possibly some MD schools depending on your state of residence.

If your MCAT is at least 500 you should be able to receive interviews at some of the newer DO schools. A 510 would be competitive for most DO schools and possibly some MD schools depending on your state of residence.

I am looking primarily at DO. To be honest, the Macomb campus of the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine is a 5 minute walk from my house. I am worried about the fact that my two most recent chemistry courses are Intro courses...I took General Chemistry (C-), General Chemistry II w/lab (B-) and Organic Chemistry I (C-) during my disastrous first two years of undergrad. I got 4.0 in the two Intro courses and should be able to get at least a B+ in the Biochem course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking primarily at DO. To be honest, the Macomb campus of the MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine is a 5 minute walk from my house. I am worried about the fact that my two most recent chemistry courses are Intro courses...I took General Chemistry (C-), General Chemistry II w/lab (B-) and Organic Chemistry I (C-) during my disastrous first two years of undergrad. I got 4.0 in the two Intro courses and should be able to get at least a B+ in the Biochem course.
ha i went there. word of advise. Com is getting much more competitive over the past few years but applying early, and an average mcat will get you an interview. State bias and scheduling tours at 2 sites will get admins on your side.

take genetics if you can too. Id recommend community service, com loves that . Def focus on bumping that up though, same with mcat

take genetics if you can too. Id recommend community service, com loves that . Def focus on bumping that up though, same with mcat

Community service is a sticking point...I work full time and have kids. I saw on their website that they highly rate it, but I'm worried it will look fake if I get a bunch right before I apply. :(

DO schools should definitely be in your radar. I feel that DO schools are willing to look at non-traditional students in a different perspective. The sharp upward curve is a clear indicator that not only are you capable, but you can work hard to get to a goal. Grades are important, but they shouldn't be a reason to be discouraged from applying - I got two C's during my undergraduate career but I still got into medical school. Your MCAT is the single most important factor however, and I'd make sure to put some serious time preparing for it.

DO schools should definitely be in your radar. I feel that DO schools are willing to look at non-traditional students in a different perspective. The sharp upward curve is a clear indicator that not only are you capable, but you can work hard to get to a goal. Grades are important, but they shouldn't be a reason to be discouraged from applying - I got two C's during my undergraduate career but I still got into medical school. Your MCAT is the single most important factor however, and I'd make sure to put some serious time preparing for it.

I just ordered the seven book Kaplan kit and a physics textbook so I can prep.

Roughly 3.15 or so, maybe 3.2 after my Biochem is finished. Last 50 science credits is a 3.50.
You are competitive for at least 12 DO schools with a MCAT of 500. If you score 510 or higher you could try some of your instate MD schools such as Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Michigan State and Wayne State.