What Are My Chances? (Statistics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athena09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no use for these documents anymore...so hopefully you guys will find it helpful during your application cycle =)

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Offers0506.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 478
  • Applicants Pharmacy School.pdf
    52.2 KB · Views: 486
where did you get these statistics from? I was wondering when the 2008-2009 ones will be posted. Im guessing after summer

I found one of them on the ASHP website and the other one was found from this forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
It said that Oklahoma only had 295 total applications to their program for 07-08. How come that number is so low? Does no one apply to Oklahoma?

Last edited:
LOL at the person that submitted 45 applications.

I was surprised that the largest group only applied to one school. I wonder how many of those people applied to nonPharmcas schools as well.

So I did some math and if you use Pharmcas, your chance of getting into a Pharmcas school is about one in three. Those aren't great odds. Does anybody know how that compares to med, dental or vet school?

LOL at the person that submitted 45 applications.

I saw that too... :eek: would that not be the most depressing thing in the world?

45 rejects.. ouch.

at least you know at that point that maybe pharmacy isn't for you. :idea:

I saw that too... :eek: would that not be the most depressing thing in the world?

45 rejects.. ouch.

at least you know at that point that maybe pharmacy isn't for you. :idea:

They probably read the admissions requirements after they applied lol... thats like over 4K just to find out you wasted a ****load of time

The Female to Male ratio is interesting. Is pharmacy a female majority field?

The students tend to be majority female, it's a more recent development so the practitioner ratio isn't as skewed yet, but will be within a few years. (based on what I've read)

I was surprised that the largest group only applied to one school. I wonder how many of those people applied to nonPharmcas schools as well.

So I did some math and if you use Pharmcas, your chance of getting into a Pharmcas school is about one in three. Those aren't great odds. Does anybody know how that compares to med, dental or vet school?
Although I didin't pull up the statistics, I think about 45% of those who apply to medical school get accepted.

But these are overall statistics. The actual odds will vary by school. For example, when I applied to Creighton last year, we were told that the school receives 10 applications per seat, and interviews 2 applicants for each seat. I thought those were good odds, seeing as at some medical schools, there are over 100 applications for every seat.

Why are there so many more females than males in pharmacy? Is pharmacy a traditionally female occupation like nursing?

Why are there so many more females than males in pharmacy? Is pharmacy a traditionally female occupation like nursing?

Traditionally - Pharmacy was a male dominated profession. Recently however, family dynamics have changed (the female half has a great career as well) - and pharmacy is very accommodating to having a family. Hence we get an increased amount of women in the field.

Traditionally - Pharmacy was a male dominated profession. Recently however, family dynamics have changed (the female half has a great career as well) - and pharmacy is very accommodating to having a family. Hence we get an increased amount of women in the field.

Cool, will this happen in dentistry and opt as well?

Eventually every profession will be dominated by women, and the men will stay home watching football on their couches.

Cool, will this happen in dentistry and opt as well?

Probably, but not as much as pharmacy IMHO. All fields, and not just medical, are experiencing rising trends of female professionals since the male-dominated biases of the past are on the way out. But pharmacy is most appealing since you can potentially graduate earlier, not have to do a residency, and work your 40 hours and get 100K+. I remember a post a while ago that said that many women pharmacists planned to work part time so they could spend more time with family. Not sure if you can have as much freedom with dentistry and optometry.

It said that Oklahoma only had 295 total applications to their program for 07-08. How come that number is so low? Does no one apply to Oklahoma?

My guess is the schools with low application #'s probably have a whole bunch of random pre-reqs or a low OOS acceptance #.

My guess is the schools with low application #'s probably have a whole bunch of random pre-reqs or a low OOS acceptance #.

I wondered that too and checked for Oklahoma's pre-reqs and they're not out of the ordinary. The require 1 semester of calculus and physics and two For non-math/science they require 6 credits of english and 24 elective credits. Overall require 64 credits. That's relatively low maintenance as far as pre-reqs go.
They say that taking more than just the pre-reqs (like biochemistry, other upper level courses and a degree) is preferable but normally I wouldn't think that would discourage people.
As far as out of staters go, 50 out of 125 can be out of state according to PharmCAS. 40% out of staters is not that bad.
Oklahoma is not some new private school that no one has heard of. And I haven't heard about them having a bad reputation or anything so that low of applicants confuses me. I actually checked their website for the numbers. They said for fall 2008, they received 305 applicants and invited 196 to interview. (166 actually interviewed so I guess those people must have declined) I mean, 65% of those who applied got interviews. I don't know why a state school would have that low number of applicants and such a high stat like that.
Maybe people do not want to live in Oklahoma with the tornadoes or something. but that absolutely baffles me.

Last edited:

Last edited:
All I can say is that I would hate to be that guy/girl that I applied to those 45 schools. I wonder what he or she is doing now? Hmmm......