What are my chances? (suggestions please)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Led Zep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so this might sound complicated but here it goes. I transferred to my current university from community college (2 years) and I'm in my 4th year at my current university i'll graduate next year because i want to minor in biochemistry to look like a better applicant to med school.

I had a 3.8 gpa my first year one semester was a 4.0 then in the two years that followed my grades fell, it was a combination of taking 4 to 5 labs a semester and now having the proper time management skills. But I did an internship over the summer just before this semester and it really opened my eyes to why I'm doing this and I feel I've got my head on straight.

Currently i have a 3.07 overall gpa and a 3.0 science gpa, but i have this year and next to make it up with some of the most important courses ahead, I'm retaking 1 course every semester as well and doing undergrad research this spring and next spring on auto-immune diseases as well as 2 more internships. I can graduate with a 3.82 cGPA (including the course retakes) but i'm aiming for a 3.6 I have to take the MCAT this spring and i'm planning to take a little lighter load in the spring and study 4 months prior to get the best score possible. And i'm planning to take summer classes.

If I don't get into med school the first time I'm planning to do a biomed program to look like a better candidate, or possibly bioinformatics

So here's what i've got:

I'm the president of the pre-med club
i've got my internship (plus 2 more i'm planning)
undergrad research (i've heard this can be appealing)
tentative minor in biochemistry

I've played for the university rugby team as well if this helps

what is the best way to proceed through the next 2 years, I'm willing to do anything,

What is the best way to proceed through the next two years of undergrad?
What can I do should I not get accepted the first time I apply?
Am I making wise decisions here?
I'm open to anything... Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really freaking out about this...

Looks like you have a relatively solid plan. Just make sure with all the internships and such you're taking on that you don't sacrifice your grades. That should be your #1 concern right now.

As far as the 3.6-ish GPA you're hoping to obtain after retakes -- is that calculated with the old grades as well? because if you're applying to MD programs, your old grades will be averaged in with your retake grades. The new grades do NOT replace the old ones. I just want to make sure that you're aware of that.

Also your application looks a little light on volunteering and clinical activities. Besides research & the rugby playing, what else have you done? Have you worked in a hospital? Done any community volunteering? What are your internships in? I thought they were research related, but after re-reading your post, I'm not sure anymore. Clinical experience is a very important part of a successful application so make sure you have this base covered too. Find time to get some patient contact if you haven't already.

Your post seems kind of all over the place, so just to recap, you should focus on:

1. Your grades - get your GPA as high as you can get it (extremely important)
2. MCAT score - the higher the better
3. Clinical experience & community volunteering if you don't have any - keep in mind you need to show commitment over a length of time. I would say volunteer at a hospital for at least 6 months or longer if you can.
4. Research - not essential, but good to have especially if you're wanting to apply to schools that heavily focus on research. Most people come out with about a year's worth.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My principal advice:

Calm down and take a deep breath. You sound like you have a plan to succeed and you won't be doing yourself any favors by freaking out about med school acceptance (though I know it is very hard for premeds not to be neurotic at times. Me included! :)).

Now:

You will need to get your GPA up a lot. A ~3.0 is not going to cut it. However, it seems like you realize this and have a plan to repair it which you need to ensure you stick to. A 3.6 would be in the typical/slighly competative range for accepted students.

The best thing is to get as many EC's under your belt to make your application stand out. Continue with volunteering, clinical stuff, sports, etc. The more, the better.

For your biochem minor: If you really want it, go for it; but I don't think minors count much for anything to adcomms (from what I've seen on this forum).

That's my thoughts. Good luck with everything! :luck:

I'm in agreement with the above excellent advice. To add to Calimed's comments: Even though AMCAS includes all the grades of any classes you've attempted regardless of how your undergrad school handles it, the DO med school application service, AACOMAS, only includes the most recent grade provided the credit hours are the same. Your cGPA would be a lot higher for them.

Would Drexel be out of reach?

Nobody can tell you about your chances without knowing your final GPA & MCAT. As it stands now, your 3.0-ish GPA is below the 10th percentile of accepted students at Drexel. Also know that all schools, including Drexel, will expect you to have clinical/shadowing experiences. I would focus on fixing all the holes in your application before even thinking about which schools to apply to.