What are my chances: TEXAS RESIDENT, Biology, Senior, 3.9 Overall GPA, Scribe...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leira23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
So I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me some feedback on what my chances are for applying to med school this upcoming cycle, below are my current stats:

Major: Biology (Pre-Med)

Grade: Senior (graduating in 3 years instead of 4)

Undergraduate School: University of the Incarnate Word (private)

High School Rank: 43/774

SAT: 1730

MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, but I plan to take it in April after my Princeton Review MCAT prep class is completed. (I know this score will affect my chances greatly in either direction)

Overall GPA: 3.9 (still a year left though since I graduate in May so not set in stone)

Science GPA: Not sure, but I've only made 1 "B" so far in a science course, so whatever that equates to

Clinical volunteer: spent majority of last summer volunteering in various departments in the hospital and plan to do the same again this summer

Volunteer (non-clinical): Multiple one/two time experiences w/ Habitat for Humanity, Elf Louise (seasonal), Golden Harvest (seasonal), etc. etc. (other similar experiences), but I plan to choose one to continue w/ on a regular basis once I graduate this May and stay w/ during my entire "gap year/s"

Employment: Medical Scribe for ProScribe in stand-alone ER Hospitals since June 2013 and plan on staying employed as a Scribe for the next year or two at least (1-3 8 hr. shifts a week), also work at Gold's Gym for the past year (1-2 shifts a week) along with babysitting (few times a month) and a work-study job (8 hours a week) in the Sim lab at my universities' Nursing school (so I work 30 hours a week and take 17 hours of classes a semester)

Health Care Exposure: In addition to my Scribe job, both my parents are in the medical field (P.A. and Ultrasound Tech) so I've essentially grown up around medicine. I plan to start shadowing several doctors (ER, Rad, surgeon, etc) this winter break and hopefully continue to do that as well during my GAP year at least once a week (since it's hard to find time right now b/t the rigors of school and work) although scribing is the best form of shadowing in my opinion. I recently attended a "future doctors" work shop at the UTHSCSA presented by the NHMA where I learned how to suture wounds and met several med students and medical staff

Research: None

Leadership/E.C.: Current VP for my school's Health Professions Society and Secretary for my school's ALD Honor Society along with membership in my school's Alpha Chi Honor Society

Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List (all semesters), Excellence in Biology Award (2013) given to approx. 10 students out of all of those in my major (300/400ish)

Ethnicity/Race: Hispanic

Age: 21 (when applying and will be as well if accepted first time around)

Future Plans: to hopefully go on a medical or non-medical mission trip during my "GAP" year along w/ getting into a shadowing program or something along those lines

I am planning to apply to ALL Texas MD/DO programs and maybe a few out of state but I'd prefer to stay in-state due to the fact that I am a TX resident (born and raised) so it's much cheaper and easier that way.

Let me know what you think my chances are if any and what I should change/add/improve upon to better my chances before applying this year!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
So I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to give me some feedback on what my chances are for applying to med school this upcoming cycle, below are my current stats:

Major: Biology (Pre-Med)

Grade: Senior (graduating in 3 years instead of 4)

Undergraduate School: University of the Incarnate Word (private)

High School Rank: 43/774

SAT: 1730

MCAT: Haven't taken it yet, but I plan to take it in April after my Princeton Review MCAT prep class is completed. (I know this score will affect my chances greatly in either direction)

Overall GPA: 3.9 (still a year left though since I graduate in May so not set in stone)

Science GPA: Not sure, but I've only made 1 "B" so far in a science course, so whatever that equates to

Clinical volunteer: spent majority of last summer volunteering in various departments in the hospital and plan to do the same again this summer

Volunteer (non-clinical): Multiple one/two time experiences w/ Habitat for Humanity, Elf Louise (seasonal), Golden Harvest (seasonal), etc. etc. (other similar experiences), but I plan to choose one to continue w/ on a regular basis once I graduate this May and stay w/ during my entire "gap year/s"

Employment: Medical Scribe for ProScribe in stand-alone ER Hospitals since June 2013 and plan on staying employed as a Scribe for the next year or two at least (1-3 8 hr. shifts a week), also work at Gold's Gym for the past year (1-2 shifts a week) along with babysitting (few times a month) and a work-study job (8 hours a week) in the Sim lab at my universities' Nursing school (so I work 30 hours a week and take 17 hours of classes a semester)

Health Care Exposure: In addition to my Scribe job, both my parents are in the medical field (P.A. and Ultrasound Tech) so I've essentially grown up around medicine. I plan to start shadowing several doctors (ER, Rad, surgeon, etc) this winter break and hopefully continue to do that as well during my GAP year at least once a week (since it's hard to find time right now b/t the rigors of school and work) although scribing is the best form of shadowing in my opinion. I recently attended a "future doctors" work shop at the UTHSCSA presented by the NHMA where I learned how to suture wounds and met several med students and medical staff

Research: None

Leadership/E.C.: Current VP for my school's Health Professions Society and Secretary for my school's ALD Honor Society along with membership in my school's Alpha Chi Honor Society

Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List (all semesters), Excellence in Biology Award (2013) given to approx. 10 students out of all of those in my major (300/400ish)

Ethnicity/Race: Hispanic

Age: 21 (when applying and will be as well if accepted first time around)

Future Plans: to hopefully go on a medical or non-medical mission trip during my "GAP" year along w/ getting into a shadowing program or something along those lines

I am planning to apply to ALL Texas MD/DO programs and maybe a few out of state but I'd prefer to stay in-state due to the fact that I am a TX resident (born and raised) so it's much cheaper and easier that way.

Let me know what you think my chances are if any and what I should change/add/improve upon to better my chances before applying this year!

THANKS SO MUCH!

you should be fine for all the Texas schools as long as you have a decent MCAT score.

If you want to go to research oriented schools such as BCM/UTSW, you should participate in some form of research. According to the MSAR over 90% of accepted students have participated in some form of research.

Reactions: 1 user