What are my chances this cycle and what do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted970761

Hi guys,
I just took my DAT and am freaking out a bit and really need some help.I'm a 3rd year undergrad hoping to apply this cycle. I do hope to apply this cycle but aren't really sure of my chances or what to do now.
My stats are as follows
  • GPA: 3.3
  • SGPA: 3.1
  • I have pretty extensive volunteering and extracurricular experience
  • I have around 140+ hours shadowing 2 general dentists
  • DAT scores
    • PAT: 18
    • QR:16
    • RC:21
    • BIO: 20
    • GC: 19
    • OC:20
    • TS:20
    • AA: 19
I have my personal statement completed and my CV done as well. I'm not sure how LORs are going to work and I am not entirely sure what my next move should be at this point. Any help would guidance would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Low gpa + below average DAT = uphill battle. You might be able to get in somewhere but the odds are against you.

Reactions: 1 user
yep, schedule another DAT ASAP and study your butt off right up until the day you take it. I don't think your stats are low enough that you shouldn't apply, but as Third Molar said, it's an uphill battle. Submit your application in the very first week of June.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, schedule another DAT ASAP and study your butt off right up until the day you take it. I don't think your stats are low enough that you shouldn't apply, but as Third Molar said, it's an uphill battle. Submit your application in the very first week of June.

Would it be wise to submit my app with my current DAT score and the update it after taking my DAT again since I won’t be able to take it til June 23?

Would it be wise to submit my app with my current DAT score and the update it after taking my DAT again since I won’t be able to take it til June 23?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying to do. I see people on here say all the time not to worry too much about when you submit but the fact is that the sooner you do so, the less interview slots will already be taken when your application is reviewed. If schools like your PS, EC's, etc. enough, but are hesitant about low stats, they may keep you in the "maybe" pile until they get your new score.

I wouldnt say that you have no chance this cycle, but you do not have great chances. I would agree with the above post that a DAT retake is probably necessary. Finish out these last remaining semesters as strong as possible as well.

Like others said, it’ll be an uphill battle. But still doable. The DAT is exhausting, so if you’re not in the mindset to retake it right away, you can easily set up your application and secondaries to highlight your 20 TS to offset the 3.1 sGPA which I think could for the right schools. If you apply to the right schools, and broadly, you could submit right away and wait until late August/September to see if you’ve gotten interviews by then. If you don’t, you’ll still have time to retake the dat before the deadline of a lot of schools, and then you’ll have a great shot at post-December interviews/acceptance. Either way I think will work, I don’t think you are out of luck. People have gotten in with even lower stats than those. I submitted early with a 19AA/19TS and 3.3 sGPA and waited to see if I’d get interviews before I decided to retake, ended up with a lot of interviews so never retook it and got accepted.

Here’s my experience this past year: I applied with 3.5ish GPA, 22 AA, 24 TS, 16 PAT (red flag) in mid-August and only received four interviews out of 15 I applied to (two where I basically had to REQUEST via LOI). I had “decent” ECs as well. Who knows, maybe if I submitted my application earlier I would’ve received more invites. :(

Do a master's or retake your DAT. I personally called up adcoms and asked for solid advice on my personal app and I was in your position, almost identical stats. They recommended a master's, I'm finishing that up right now and I have 2 DS acceptances for this fall.

Hey! we have almost the same stats but I'm applying next cycle. how'd you do if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SDN mobile