jk1985

Jun 6, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the SDN network and all the information I've read so far seems to be really helpful. I'm applying this cycle and was wondering what how good my chances were going to be this round.
My bcpm: 3.7 and overall gpa: 3.8 from UC Berkeley.
MCAT: 34S

A brief overview of my ECs, 1 year of basic science research, and 1 year of clinical research, possible publication on the way. I've been a health educator, done some medically related work abroad (I'm really interested in practicing medicine on the international setting later). I also have been shadowing a neurosurgery team for the last few months, and have been volunteering in an Emergency Department. I also volunteered as a teacher for the last 3 years for an organization, helped found a student organization at my university as well.

My question is, during my coursework I received a C in O Chem I but managed to pull an A the second half of O Chem. Also, during my undergrad years, I took about 21 units of classes pass fail. I've heard that taking many classes pass fail are not well-regarded. None of these were the required pre-med courses. They were mostly units I received from being a Bio TA or directed group study courses that were worth 1-2 units. Given my grade in ochem and these classes, would this hurt my chances?

Thank you for your help.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Assuming your acquisition of clinical experience didn't begin the the last six months, I'd say that your chances of an acceptance in this cycle looks very good.

A C in OChem I is redeemed by the A in OChem II and your MCAT score, so don't worry about it.

I've never seen so many P/F classes done by one person, so I don't know how they'll effect you, but I'd guess that since they weren't classes required for college graduation, or med school prerequisites that you'll be fine (which doesn't help you much; sorry).

fatty19

10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Your Ochem grade won't help you but it won't hurt you either. I don't think your P/F credits will really have any effect on your application since they weren't pre-req's or substantial courses. But everything else looks good and I'd be very surprised if you didn't get into a decent school, good luck.

About the Ads

LoveWalk

Thug Lyfe
May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Assuming your acquisition of clinical experience didn't begin the the last six months, I'd say that your chances of an acceptance in this cycle looks very good.

A C in OChem I is redeemed by the A in OChem II and your MCAT score, so don't worry about it.

I've never seen so many P/F classes done by one person, so I don't know how they'll effect you, but I'd guess that since they weren't classes required for college graduation, or med school prerequisites that you'll be fine (which doesn't help you much; sorry).

Where do you get your information Stratego? Are you even in med school?

Stratego

10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Where do you get your information Stratego? Are you even in med school?
My information comes from the experience of a friend with similiar stats to the OP who applied widely after a few months of clinical experience and was rejected everywhere. The feedback he received from those schools was that he didn't have enough clinical experience. He applied again last cycle with 15 months of clinical experience on his application and was accepted at many schools. What I've read here on SDN WAMC also supports the notion that last minute clinical experience isn't viewed favorably by adcomms, with rare exceptions.

Last edited:

LoveWalk

Thug Lyfe
May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I start med school in August. My information comes from the experience of a friend with similiar stats to the OP who applied widely after a few months of clinical experience and was rejected everywhere. The feedback he received from those schools was that he didn't have enough clinical experience. He applied again last cycle with 15 months of clinical experience on his application and was accepted at many schools. What I've read here on SDN WAMC also supports the notion that last minute clinical experience isn't viewed favorably by adcomms, with rare exceptions.

cool, just wanted to make sure you were legitimate

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.