What are my chances this late in the season?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextertrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an AZ resident. I got my score back on Aug 12th so I wasn't planning on applying but my PI convinced me to, if anything just for the experience and feedback. Here are my stats, and the places I'm planning to apply:

GPA: 3.86 Cum 3.87 Sci
MCAT: 34 (13,10,11)
600 hours as a Personal Care Provider
700 hours patient intake and psych testing at a NeuroPsych office.
2 year service mission in Iowa for church
~300 hours of research in diabetes lab with thesis in process
eagle scout
Applied Math &BCH major & Business minor

Schools:
Baylor
Geisel
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Wakeforest

Should I add any to the list? Are there any schools that generally accept more students late in the season than other schools? Because I wasn't planning on applying this year, I am planning on applying to Arizona next year if I don't get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't apply just for the experience. If you have to reapply, schools will know that you had to reapply. I think the processing time is 2.5 weeks now for the AAMC. With your grades and MCAT, you can probably get in somewhere if you pre-write secondaries. Also, Baylor and other public state schools limit the number of out of state applicants that they take.

I am an AZ resident. I got my score back on Aug 12th so I wasn't planning on applying but my PI convinced me to, if anything just for the experience and feedback. Here are my stats, and the places I'm planning to apply:

GPA: 3.87
eagle scout

Schools:
Baylor
Geisel
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Wakeforest

Should I add any to the list? Are there any schools that generally accept more students late in the season than other schools? Because we weren't planning on applying this year, we are planning on applying to Arizona next year we we don't get in.

smart idea to not apply to AZ this year and keep that for next year. Both AZ schools have already given out interviews for the next several months so you're really behind in this cycle for your state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
smart idea to not apply to AZ this year and keep that for next year. Both AZ schools have already given out interviews for the next several months so you're really behind in this cycle for your state schools.

Are you aware of any schools that are a little bit slower in the application process?

Are you aware of any schools that are a little bit slower in the application process?

let's see, drexel, harvard, yale, and some other ivy leagues (check out their websites). You do have a chance with the ivys.

I wouldn't apply just for the experience. If you have to reapply, schools will know that you had to reapply. I think the processing time is 2.5 weeks now for the AAMC. With your grades and MCAT, you can probably get in somewhere if you pre-write secondaries. Also, Baylor and other public state schools limit the number of out of state applicants that they take.

let's see, drexel, harvard, yale, and some other ivy leagues (check out their websites). You do have a chance with the ivys.

Thank you, that is very helpful information.

With those stats this late in the season? Negligible chance.

To the OP: If you are 100% committed to applying this season, you need to add a lot of mid and low-tier schools to your list. Not sure which to add, I didn't have any non-top tiers on my list outside of the Texas schools.

For you to have the best chance of getting in at all, and particularly into places where you may actually want to go, I'd highly recommend waiting until next season. Apply at the beginning of the season and you have a decent chance with a lot of schools with your stats, assuming your PS/letters/interview skills are up to par.

With those stats this late in the season? Negligible chance.

To the OP: If you are 100% committed to applying this season, you need to add a lot of mid and low-tier schools to your list. Not sure which to add, I didn't have any non-top tiers on my list outside of the Texas schools.

For you to have the best chance of getting in at all, and particularly into places where you may actually want to go, I'd highly recommend waiting until next season. Apply at the beginning of the season and you have a decent chance with a lot of schools with your stats, assuming your PS/letters/interview skills are up to par.

Well Harvard, Yale, and other ivy leagues do not have rolling admissions so the OP won't face a penalty for submitting late. Also, I never said he has a good chance with the Ivys. His stats give him 20-30% chance of an interview invite from an Ivy which is still higher than what a lot of applicants have.

Other than that, agree with everything else in your message.

Reactions: 1 user
Well Harvard, Yale, and other ivy leagues do not have rolling admissions so the OP won't face a penalty for submitting late. Also, I never said he has a good chance with the Ivys. His stats give him 20-30% chance of an interview invite from an Ivy which is still higher than what a lot of applicants have.

Other than that, agree with everything else in your message.

They don't have rolling admissions, which works out well for him. The problem with late applications is that it will take a while to process through AMCAS, and then additional time before the admission committee's would review it. It could easily be October-November before his application is fully reviewed, meaning there are fewer interview days left in the season that OP could be offered. The fewer interview spots combined with the greater number of completed applications at this point makes the likelihood of landing an interview (and an acceptance after said interview) much lower than it would be at the beginning of the season.

You are right in that the OP has good stats, but IMO the risk of being labeled as a re-applicant at this stage is not worth the small chance of actually getting in somewhere decent.

To the OP: Good luck with whatever you decide, just make sure to weigh all the pro's and con's and make the decision that's best for you. :)

GPA: 3.86 Cum 3.87 Sci
eagle scout

Schools:
Baylor
Geisel
Iowa
Colorado
Utah
Wakeforest

Should I add any to the list? Are there any schools that generally accept more students late in the season than other schools? Because I wasn't planning on applying this year, I am planning on applying to Arizona next year if I don't get in.

I've decided that I am going to wait until next year to apply. Your comments were very helpful, thank you! With the new plan of applying application cycle the changes in my stats will be about 350 more clinical hours and 300 more research hours(hopefully with a publication), a new job as a scribe and I plan to apply to the following schools:

Stanford
Duke
Baylor
UTHESCA, as well as all Texas schools, this one is just my preference
University of Iowa
University of Colorado
Wake Forest
University of Arizona-Tucson
University of Virginia
Tufts
Geisel
University of Utah
University of Arizona Phoenix
Mayo Clinic
Brown
Drexel
Harvard

I know its far in advance to be asking for this advice but I want to start writing a secondary application each week until I'm done so I'll have plenty of time to edit them. What tweaks to this list do you guys suggest?

I would look again at the out-of-state public schools that you're applying to and put more private schools. I know Texas public schools only accept 10% out of state, so you do have a chance, but it is much less than a private school with similar GPA/MCAT medians.

Your list is definitely top heavy. Add some more low/mid tiers.

I've decided that I am going to wait until next year to apply. Your comments were very helpful, thank you! With the new plan of applying application cycle the changes in my stats will be about 350 more clinical hours and 300 more research hours(hopefully with a publication), a new job as a scribe and I plan to apply to the following schools:

Stanford
Duke
Baylor
UTHESCA, as well as all Texas schools, this one is just my preference
University of Iowa
University of Colorado
Wake Forest
University of Arizona-Tucson
University of Virginia
Tufts
Geisel
University of Utah
University of Arizona Phoenix
Mayo Clinic
Brown
Drexel
Harvard

I know its far in advance to be asking for this advice but I want to start writing a secondary application each week until I'm done so I'll have plenty of time to edit them. What tweaks to this list do you guys suggest?
I count 6 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. As you go through the MSAR look for schools where your stats are at or above the median in order to maximize the efficacy of your application. This is especially true for public schools, and even more true for TX schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I count 6 schools where you have a fair to good chance at an interview. As you go through the MSAR look for schools where your stats are at or above the median in order to maximize the efficacy of your application. This is especially true for public schools, and even more true for TX schools.
I see UTHESCA, Iowa, Colorado, Utah, Wakeforest, both UofA's, Tufts, Geisel, Mayo, Brown and Drexel where I am at or above their median? Am I mistaken? I used MCAT and GPA, is there another indicator that I didn't notice?

Your list is definitely top heavy. Add some more low/mid tiers.

So I am at or above the median MCAT for all but 5. And I am well above 3 of them. Are you suggesting that I should consider median tiered schools as one's with a median below my MCAT score? Also my gpa is at or above all except Harvard. Would you consider low tier below 30 median? and mid tier 32? Or are your tier's based on national rankings? Can you clarify a little bit. Thanks

I see UTHESCA, Iowa, Colorado, Utah, Wakeforest, both UofA's, Tufts, Geisel, Mayo, Brown and Drexel where I am at or above their median? Am I mistaken? I used MCAT and GPA, is there another indicator that I didn't notice?

So I am at or above the median MCAT for all but 4. And I am well above 3 of them. Are you suggesting that I should consider median tiered schools as one's with a median below my MCAT score? Also my gpa is at or above all except Harvard. Would you consider low tier below 30 median? and mid tier 32? Or are your tier's based on national rankings? Can you clarify a little bit. Thanks
You also have to consider your comparator group. In other words, how do you stack up against applicants with similar stats and the school's predilection for certain types of applicants. The last important factor is the number of applicants to the school with similar stats, experience and personal qualities. You are an undeniably good candidate for your state schools, though. This fact actually reduces your chances at some OOS schools who will expect you to matriculate in AZ.

Many public schools are not friendly to OOS applicants. For instance, most spots at Colorado are reserved for Colorado residents in addition to residents of neighboring states that don't have medical schools. So look to add private schools like Tulane, Miami, Jefferson, etc. I have very similar stats to you. You can look at my MDApps to get an idea of schools that I am talking about.

That makes sense. So, if I understand correctly you're basically saying, for instance, with regards to Iowa I may have median stats, but I am out of state and therefore have to be better than median to consider it an application on a level playing field. Am I correct?

Yes. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply. I applied to Iowa. What I'm saying is you should include a fair share of mid tiers like the ones I listed.

Also bear in mind that Brown takes a very high percentage of Brown undergrads through their combined degree program. Therefore to get in as a non-Brown undergrad you have to have #'s considerably higher than their medians. Not saying getting in there would be impossible. Just way harder than it appears.

Many public schools are not friendly to OOS applicants. For instance, most spots at Colorado are reserved for Colorado residents in addition to residents of neighboring states that don't have medical schools. So look to add private schools like Tulane, Miami, Jefferson, etc. I have very similar stats to you. You can look at my MDApps to get an idea of schools that I am talking about.

You mentioned I could look at your MDApps to get an idea of schools that you are talking about. How do I do that? I tried viewing your profile but there was a restriction. Is there a different route to seeing this?

I'd look into adding URochester and Albert Einstein as well. Your stats are strong for those programs and they are highly regarded private schools.