what are my chances . . . this time around??

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Zhopik, May 7, 2007.

1. Zhopik

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone! I've been seeing a lot of posts with questions about people's sats and chances, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I applied last cycle, and didn't even get invited to a single interview. That's probably because I submitted my app in late October, and my PAT was a 15 :scared:!!

This year:

1) submitting app May 15th - June 1st

2) Re-taking DAT July 24th

3) Getting a "new" committee letter (another $200!!!! those money hungry assholes!)

4) Starting a Post-Bacc at UC Berekeley in Sept (so no actual new grades until late Dec)

5) GPA: all undergrad done at UC Davis; double major (1. Neurobio, physio, behavior & 2. Russian)
    - cum: 3.36
    - sci: 2.9
    - post-bacc: will only know in december

6) Old DAT: (new one on 7/24, AHHHHH!!!)

AA:19
    PA: 15
    QR: 17
    RC: 21
    Bio: 20
    GChem: 19
    OChem: 17
    Tot Sci:19

7) Lots of past dental volunteer experience (last in 2004), and planning to start again in august; university level english tutor for 3 years; comm service, etc

PLEASE any feedback is welcome. If you have feedback on my chances for this upcoming cycle, GREAT! And feedback about what went wrong last cycle is very welcome too!!! Open to all suggestions! THANKS GUYS!!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KoiMan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Your stats aren't that bad but since you submitted your application late in the cycle it might have decreased your chances of getting interviews. With average stats, you should definitely apply early on in the cycle. My friend had a 18-19 DAT and applied to 6 schools, he got interview at all 6 schools since he turned everything in on May 16th....you get to be the first batch so dental schools aren't that picky! Nevertheless, you are on the right track by applying early and retaking your DAT-study hard and beast it!

4. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    A more refined vocabulary would not hurt.

5. Zhopik

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    After being an English/composition tutor at UC Davis for 3+ years, I think that my vocab and communication skills are just fine, but thanks for your concern.

I think that charging me another $200 to resend my LOR file is a rip off, and I am totally justified in saying what I did.

6. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    And they feel justified in charging $200.

7. yorkiepoo

yorkiepoo Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    it seems like you are on the right track by resuming volunteering, doing a post-bach, but I would consult a pre-med advisor, because you won't really have anything new to show dental schools until late July which will be your DAT. So unless you are sure you are going to get whopping scores, you might want to wait until you have some scores to show from your classes. Consult a professional premed advisor.

8. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Raise your DAT scores and you should be okay. Average scores with below average GPAs doesn't make for an easy pick out of the application lineup. Also consider what schools you are applying to. Make sure you're not one of the ones only gunning for the schools athat historically fill fast and take only great stat apps

9. Zhopik

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm applying to 10 schools, but as I understand it, they all fill fast, they're all really difficult to get into, and all want great stats . . .

Here's my list:
    UOP
    UCSF
    USC
    UCLA
    BU
    Tufts
    NYU
    Nova
    Temple
    UNLV

Are there any I should add??

THANKS!!!!:)

10. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hey! I am also from UC Davis, but majoring in Cell Bio!! You stats are very much like mine, but you got higher overall GPA. If you apply somewhere in June this year and do well on DAT, I think you'll stand a chance!

Anyways, Good luck!

11. Zhopik

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm getting to the point where I really need some. Your BCP is AWESOME! Good luck to you too :thumbup:

12. Flyguy

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys..similar question for me.....I have a 3.3 Cum and 3.2 Science GPA...
    DAT Scores:
    22AA/21TS/21PAT

I have volunteered at a hospital, a school's orthodontic clinic, and job shadowed a dentist. Also worked as lab tech for a little bit...

I applied pretty late last year (end of october), and unfortunately got only 1 waitlist...does anyone think I have a decent shot if I apply early this time?

13. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Guys. When everyone on the SDN forum says to apply EARLY we are not speaking out of our blow holes.

APPLY EARLY (ie MAY 16-30)

Guys. When everyone on the SDN forum says to apply EARLY we are not speaking out of our blow holes.