What are my chances? Took OAT today - am I in trouble?

kkait

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my OAT today and I was disappointed by my scores, but not completely surprised. What I scored was:
QR: 300 // RC: 310 // BIO: 310 // GC: 300 // ORGO: 280 // PHY: 280 // TS: 290 // AA: 300

I typically only view these sorts of things and rarely contribute to these forums, but what I'm hoping to get out of this is some feedback and just a little hope.

So some background: I am applying to 8 optometry schools (AZCOPT, PUCO, PCO, UAB, NSU/NOVA, ICO, SCO, and Indiana, I'm planning to apply to PUCO I have yet to be fully happy with the second essay question on OPTOMCAS but will chip away at it after I study for calculus and take the final at the end of this week) for Fall 2020. I submitted my application fairly late (mid Nov.) according to the masses. I got my BS this year (May 2019, GPA 3.65) and decided to take a gap year, I still needed to take calculus (I didn't take it during undergrad, it wasn't required, and I planned to take it Fall 2019), but also to travel and work more (applying for more school is very expensive).

Some other stats: I minored in Pre-Health for undergrad. I got a paper I helped contribute to published in The Physics Teacher Journal Jan 2019. I was a college athlete for 2 years on the rowing team and I am now a rowing coach for high schoolers. I was a commuter rep for student government worked at the library as a student worker. Secretary then president of the Pre-Health Society at my college. I was an artisan (sold paintings, wedding gifts, and origami creations) for a business that supported the movement to end human trafficking (5 years). I currently volunteer at a free eye clinic where I have helped out for over 4 years. I also work as an ophthalmic technician at a high patient volume ophthalmology optometry group practice and surgical center. I have over 500 hours of ophthalmic volunteer and work experience. I am a Sunday school teacher for ages 5-11 (about 6 years now). And in my free time I train for triathlons. I'm a busy gal. I know I did not spend enough time prepping for the OAT then I should have been and did not approach it as well as I should have. I was distracted by taking the calculus class I am taking now (and so close to finishing!) plus working those 3 part-time jobs and everything else.

Last week I received an interview invitation from Salus (without them knowing my OAT score as I had not taken it yet) I'm going to book a flight hopefully next week, but is this normal for schools to extend an invite without all your stats (the OAT score)? Should I follow up about my OAT scores with them before I do anything? CASPER is a thing for Salus so I am planning on shelling out for that after I take my calc final next week.

I also plan to reach out to each school I applied too next week and ask if I can send my unofficial score report to them because I know the official scores take a bit to get to them.

I would like to know if any schools have a cap or a cut off for the OAT scores if any of you know. For example, even with my stats will my OAT hold me back because I did not do so well to these schools that I am applying to?

Where do I have a chance here? I am open to retake it, but being this late in the game and work and having to shell out another half a grand on top of hopefully receiving interviews (not sure how optimistic I am being here) makes me cringe. Optometry is where I see myself and I am looking for some advice given my situation and for you to shine some light on the positives and negatives.

Thank you for any feedback you can offer and for reading this far. I tend to overshare when I am having a crisis.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be more than fine, dont worry about it
Thanks, you lifted a little bit of the weight off my shoulders. Could I potentially receive interviews from all the schools I applied to? Or are those two 280's holding me back from any schools? Do they have a cut on the minimum scoring for the sections? Or the TS score? I've been trying to sift though and find out if any of these schools deny you based off of too low OAT scores.

Thanks, you lifted a little bit of the weight off my shoulders. Could I potentially receive interviews from all the schools I applied to? Or are those two 280's holding me back from any schools? Do they have a cut on the minimum scoring for the sections? Or the TS score? I've been trying to sift though and find out if any of these schools deny you based off of too low OAT scores.
I'm not too sure about the cut off thing but if I remember correctly it's nothing below 280 or 270 so I think you're good. Plus you have a good gpa. I'd be willing to bet IU and ICO would send you an interview day. can's speak too much about the other schools but I honestly think you'll hear back from a good majority