What are my chances? URM, 31 MCAT 3.73 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainbowsquid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just joined SDN hoping to get some feedback on my school list. I'm late for this cycle and I would like to find out what everyone thinks. I have a few schools already that I definitely want to apply to. If I could some help completing the list, that'd be great.

Stats:
MCAT: 31 -10PS, 10BS, 11VR
GPA: cGPA 3.73, BCPM 3.89; Freshman, 3.25, Sophomore, 3.51, Junior, 3.71, Senior 4.0, Spanish History Major, Chinese Minor, Pre-Medical
Post Bac, 4.0--I did most of my science courses in my Senior year and during my two years of Post-Bac Work
Master's GPA (Did Post-Bac during master's; still in progress): 3.54, in Spanish Culture w/ Interpretation Cert.

Taking a few extra science courses and finishing up my master's this year while working full time

Details:
Upward GPA Trend (Obviously), URM (Black, African-American), Took two years off after Freshman year to teach English and take care of orphans in South America, Georgia Resident

Extracurriculars:
2300+ hours of Direct Patient Contact--CNA work in a hospital environment over two years (Still working there)
101 hours of Bio-medical research at public university (no publications, no posters)
114 hours of hospital volunteer work over one year
133 hours of hospice volunteer work over one year
150 hours of volunteer work with local Latin American community over two years
4000+ hours of overseas volunteer work (teaching, orphanage, programs, workshops, etc) in Latin America over two years
2300+ hours of religious volunteering/activities over nine years

Clubs/Groups:
1 year private Pre-Medical Club (no offices)
3 years public university Pre-Medical Club (low-ranking officer)
2 years public university Foreign Film Club (no offices)
2 years public university Minorities in Medicine Club (no offices)
Tri-Beta Honor Society

University Gospel Choir Member 2 years
University Choir Member 2 years
Local Academy Assistant Choir Director 2 years

Shadowing/Training/Internships:
500+ hours Public Health Internship (Summer Program, Very Competitive)
20+ hours Shadowing at CDC (Atlanta area)
33 hours shadowing IM doctor
52 hours shadowing various specialities (Cardio, Neuro, Psych, FM, EM)
Worked throughout college in various capacities

Languages:
Spanish (Fluent)
French (Elementary)
Chinese (Proficient)
English (Native)

Other Activities:
Classically trained Singer/Director
Mandolin (Proficient), Guitar (Proficient)

LORS:
IM Physician--Good Friend
Spanish Professor--Great Letter
Committee Letter:
--Chemistry Professor
--Biology Professor (did research with him, great letter)
--Physics Professor

And finally.......the list :)

Reaches:
Columbia
Mayo
Warren Alpert
Michigan

Hopeful:
Emory (Dream School)
Tufts
Geisel
Rochester
Case Western

Safeties:
OHSU
Loma Linda
Hofstra
George Washington
Temple
Georgetown
Drexel
Albany
Medical College of Georgia
Mercer
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard

...any suggestions would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You really don't need any suggestions. Your application is outstanding, especially for a URM. Purchase the MSAR --> find schools that you would like to attend --> apply to those schools.

Also, there is a "what are my chances" forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops! Posted in the wrong place. Does anyone know if I can move the question, or do I just have to repost?

And I have the MSAR, but the list of schools I'm interested in is too long. I was hoping for some expert help on picking the right places and making my app as successful as possible.

Your chances are good. Though I think Emory Med school avg MCAT is a 34. I would add 4 or 5 more schools though to your list just to broaden your options.

Where did you go for undergrad?

Your chances are good. Though I think Emory Med school avg MCAT is a 34. I would add 4 or 5 more schools though to your list just to broaden your options.

Where did you go for undergrad?

I went to a public school in Georgia. I'm hoping to apply to about 15-20 schools with 5-7 reach schools. I consider Emory a reach school.

Oops! Posted in the wrong place. Does anyone know if I can move the question, or do I just have to repost?

And I have the MSAR, but the list of schools I'm interested in is too long. I was hoping for some expert help on picking the right places and making my app as successful as possible.

A mod will likely see it within the hour and move it.

Reactions: 1 user
Even with the 31, you have a decent shot at Emory. I spoke with one of the admission directors a few months ago. Your complete application will serve you well. Good luck!

I went to a public school in Georgia. I'm hoping to apply to about 15-20 schools with 5-7 reach schools. I consider Emory a reach school.

While Emory is not a safety for you by ANY means, I don't think it's quite as much of a reach as you seem to think it is. The median MCAT is 35, but you're a URM with a 31, plus you benefit from an in-state bias as well.

Also, check this out: http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/Black_Applicants.png

While Emory is not a safety for you by ANY means, I don't think it's quite as much of a reach as you seem to think it is. The median MCAT is 35, but you're a URM with a 31, plus you benefit from an in-state bias as well.

Also, check this out: http://edge.studentdoctor.net/wamc/Black_Applicants.png

Wow! Is this to individual schools on average, or to medical school in general? And does Emory have an in-state bias? I think they accept much more universally than the other GA schools.

Wow! Is this to individual schools on average, or to medical school in general? And does Emory have an in-state bias? I think they accept much more universally than the other GA schools.

It's to medical school in general, but it should serve as some pretty comforting statistics for you nonetheless.

And even private schools have in-state biases. Just doing some quick math from the MSAR, it looks like Emory accepts a significantly higher percentage of applicants from the state of Georgia than anywhere else. For example, if the process were random, a Georgia resident would have a ~ 7 % chance of admission while an out of state resident would have ~ 1 % chance.

It's to medical school in general, but it should serve as some pretty comforting statistics for you nonetheless.

And even private schools have in-state biases. Just doing some quick math from the MSAR, it looks like Emory accepts a significantly higher percentage of applicants from the state of Georgia than anywhere else. For example, if the process were random, a Georgia resident would have a ~ 7 % chance of admission while an out of state resident would have ~ 1 % chance.

True. Thanks for that.

@gyngyn wondering if you could look over my list. I've just posted it as is, hoping to narrow it down as much as possible.

@gyngyn wondering if you could look over my list. I've just posted it as is, hoping to narrow it down as much as possible.
You may cut as many of your "safety" schools as you like (keep your state schools though!). You are likely to get as many interviews as you can attend.

You may cut as many of your "safety" schools as you like (keep your state schools though!). You are likely to get as many interviews as you can attend.

Awesome! Thanks so much.

Your application is stellar. Don't sell yourself short: apply to every school that interests you--every school whose mission is congruent with your own. Don't wrap the cycle up wondering "What if?".

Reactions: 1 users