MD What are my chances? URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAPK1NS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Just finished most of my primary application and I'm cutting down on the schools I should be applying to. I'd appreciate all the input I could receive.

1. cGPA: 3.55 and sGPA:3.51
  2. MCAT score(s): increased from a sorry 484 to a 502 (125/124/126/127) , 506
  3. State of residence: FL
  4. Ethnicity and/or race:puerto Rican
  5. Undergraduate institution: Large State School
  6. Clinical experience: Three month internship in Lima, Peru, Emergency Medical Responder for the past 2 years
  7. Research experience: not much
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Peru (undeserved communities)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 3 years (400+ hours) working with Alzheimer's patients as a caregiver,
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
A whole bunch of stuff. This is were the bulk of my stuff comes in. Lots of work with undeserved communities near my school. Lots of leadership roles. A few programs Ive implemented in nearby communities.

Schools applying to:
all FL schools
temple
loyola
drexel
Arizona
Colorado
george washington
georgetown
franklin
rush
indiana
kentucky
louisville
boston
tufts
missouri kansas city
saint louis
wake forest
creighton
cooper rowan

Mcat score just came in and increased to 506

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even as a URM, there are some schools on your list that are wayyyyy out of your league. WashuSt Louis pretty much wouldn't even look at your application…other schools such as Pritzker and Duke have much higher 10th percentile stats than you have. Take a look at MSAR and cut the list.

Your best chances would be at your Florida schools so apply to all 7 MD schools. For OOS consider schools such as :
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
GW
Georgetown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
If you are fluent in Spanish apply to all 4 school in Puerto Rico.
If your new MCAT is higher than 508 you will be in good shape. However, if it is less than 500 that could be a problem. You may want to apply to DO schools also depending on what your May MCAT score is. Post is here when available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even as a URM, there are some schools on your list that are wayyyyy out of your league. WashuSt Louis pretty much wouldn't even look at your application…other schools such as Pritzker and Duke have much higher 10th percentile stats than you have. Take a look at MSAR and cut the list.
Yeah I was banking that my mcat score (which I get in 2 weeks) would be much higher than 502. Thanks for the input

Yeah I was banking that my mcat score (which I get in 2 weeks) would be much higher than 502. Thanks for the input
Even if you got a 510, schools can still see your 484 and 502. The 484 in particular is going to be hard to stomach for many schools. Most schools average all the scores you've received.

Why not the schools in Puerto Rico? It's hard to advise you without your latest MCAT. Your 484~15 and the 502~26. If a school averaged them it would be around a 493~ 21. Those scores are really low for DO let alone MD even with the URM designation. Do you have any shadowing in the US? Your ECs seem good and your GPAs are okay too. It's that MCAT. I hope you really did well on it this time. Are you going to apply to any DO schools? Do you have the MSAR? If not get it and look at 10-90 percentile stats for GPAs and MCAT. Also check the information for OOS public schools. You have lots of OOS schools and you need to find out if the are OOS friendly. Some of your schools also have specific missions so check those out too. Good luck this cycle.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Why not the schools in Puerto Rico? It's hard to advise you without your latest MCAT. Your 484~15 and the 502~26. If a school averaged them it would be around a 493~ 21. Those scores are really low for DO let alone MD even with the URM designation. Do you have any shadowing in the US? Your ECs seem good and your GPAs are okay too. It's that MCAT. I hope you really did well on it this time. Are you going to apply to any DO schools? Do you have the MSAR? If not get it and look at 10-90 percentile stats for GPAs and MCAT. Also check the information for OOS public schools. You have lots of OOS schools and you need to find out if the are OOS friendly. Some of your schools also have specific missions so check those out too. Good luck this cycle.

Do schools actually average your mcat scores and the use that average? I have never heard of that. If that's the case, then I'm out of luck

I would recommend making a school list, reaching out the the schools. Some schools average them, but others will take your highest score.

Reactions: 1 user
I think one of the ADCOMS on here has said AMCAS encourages them to average but they don't all do it. But they can see all of your scores.

I think one of the ADCOMS on here has said AMCAS encourages them to average but they don't all do it. But they can see all of your scores.

Yeah adcoms on here say that AMCAS encourages it (which they do); however, I reached out to a lot of schools about their MCAT policy and was surprised that only about 3-4 of the 25 I contacted "average" the score. Most either take your a) most recent or b) highest. Then some straight up say holistically, which I feel most schools do anyway

So my mcat came back and I improved from my 502 to a 506! My cars score has always been my weak point and it's one of those things I've struggled with. Does the increase make me a better prospect? Any additional schools I should add? @Faha Would love some input from @Goro

Last edited:
@Faha do you think I have a chance at hofstra with my new mcat? (506)

502 ->506 is basically within the error bars of the test (esp on a 3rd retake w/ a 484*). I really dont see MD schools biting unless they go for the URM status.

Last edited:
502 ->506 is basically within the error bars of the test (esp on a 3rd retake w/ a 584). I really dont see MD schools biting unless they go for the URM status.
So you're suggesting there isn't a difference between the scores? Maybe not but hey I'm still gonna give it a shot.

Unlikely, they have a small size and a high MCAT median. Your best chances are at the Florida schools and the ones I listed.
Ok thanks for your help. You're really making my life so much easier

• Haha