Aug 1, 2018
Hey all, I really would like some type of advice on my chances or ideas on what you believe is the best thing for me to do for applying to medical school.

College- UConn (NY resident)
URM (African American male)
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB)
MCAT- 515
cGPA- 3.599
sGPA- 3.265 (rough start but 4.0 junior year with cell bio, microbio, org2+lab, physics2, biochem)
Volunteering- 200 hours (volunteered for my high school track & field team, grew up in a very undeserved area)
--also 40 hours volunteering twice at a year-long, philanthropic event to raise funds & awareness for Connecticut Children’s Medical Center, a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital.
Clinical Volunteering- 100 hours (at local hospital, volunteered during school breaks)
Shadowing- 40 hours (endocrinologist, orthopedics)
Research- 400 hours (done with a PI, presenting a poster, and will be publicated)
--I also individually received funding award for my research
Other- went to Nigeria with father for a month (helped make change and reform in his community)
Leadership- walked on D1 track team, upcoming Captain. In a fraternity...held Risk Management position
Jobs-had 2 (fast food/retail) over summers
Letters of Rec- MD family friend, premed adviser, MCB adviser, endocrinologist I shadowed, Research PI, Econ professor (was Econ/premed before MCB/premed)

I planned to apply after my junior year of college to avoid a gap year, and all the information here is from then. After my senior year I am predicting a 3.702 regular and 3.432 science gpa and more shadowing, research, and clinical hours. Can anyone give me an idea of what medical schools I realistically have a chance at for applying my Junior (and/or Senior) Year?

Sep 15, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
All 4 SUNY
Hofstra
Einstein
New York University
Boston University
Tufts
Jefferson
Duke
Tulane
St. Louis

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 1, 2018
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UConn
All 4 SUNY
Hofstra
Einstein
New York University
Boston University
Tufts
Jefferson
Duke
Tulane
St. Louis
Thanks Faha, would you think this is a good list for after my junior year or my senior year?

About the Ads

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Medical Student
Lmaooo, you’re fine. Apply to all NY schools (minus Cornell and Albert Einstein) and you should recieve plenty of interviews. SUNY schools in particular, find you especially attractive with that MCAT score

Aug 1, 2018
I appreciate you guys giving me a sense of direction (and hope haha) to look into for medical schools! Am I competitive anywhere south or west as well?

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Medical Student
I appreciate you guys giving me a sense of direction (and hope haha) to look into for medical schools! Am I competitive anywhere south or west as well?
100%. But why would you want to travel? Some schools that’d probably interview you: Indiana State, Ohio State, Toledo, UMissouri-Columbia, Tulane, UMiami, UCLA, MCW, Wayne, Central Michigan, CNU (although I wouldn’t bother given the financial screw over), Seton Hall, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan Stryker, Rochester, and UNC.

Aug 1, 2018
100%. But why would you want to travel? Some schools that’d probably interview you: Indiana State, Ohio State, Toledo, UMissouri-Columbia, Tulane, UMiami, UCLA, MCW, Wayne, Central Michigan, CNU (although I wouldn’t bother given the financial screw over), Seton Hall, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan Stryker, Rochester, and UNC.
Growing up in the northeast in great. But, I would be excited to embark on an adventure for new experiences in ways of life in the other parts of the U.S. if granted the chance, and travelling/attending a school south/west would give me that opportunity. The warmer weather is always a plus too!

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Medical Student
Growing up in the northeast in great. But, I would be excited to embark on an adventure for new experiences in ways of life in the other parts of the U.S. if granted the chance, and travelling/attending a school south/west would give me that opportunity. The warmer weather is always a plus too!
Ah, so you’re like me. I grew up in NYC as well, and was so sick of it I applied to 0 NY schools. In my experience, the Midwest shows us more love than the south though. So if you’re set on the warm weather, start applying to schools from now (minus Tulane since it’s technically too late).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.