What are my chances? Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emmit

Emmit the LEGGOO
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first time on SDN, I'm not entirely sure how this works but here it goes:

I am a New York native.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 31
BS in Biochemistry

Non-Trad Student:
- 2 Years out of college:
Last Year: worked as EMS and volunteered for a nutritionist.
This year: I will be attending grad school ot Columbia University, where I will be writing a thesis (1 publication required for graduation.)

EC:
- Throughout middle & high school, bass guitarist of a charity band. Raised $50,000 to build an elementary school in Africa. Played at Carnegie Hall, The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Massey Center for Pediatric Cancer, and others.
- 100 Shadow hrs of Cardiothoracic Surgeon (MD) ( I want to pursue surgery)
- 200 Shadow hrs of Pulmonologist (DO)
- 200 Shadow hrs of a nutritionist
- 1,000 hrs research experience (0 publications) in an organic wet-synthesis laboratory at undergrad University
- Organic Chemistry I & II T.A.
- 2 years experience working (both in college and after I graduated) as an EMT in New York City (most of my ps was about this)
- I have also had family related events that inspired me to pursue medicine, and effected my GPA for one semester of college (also explained in ps)
- President of my fraternity
- Won two certificate of recognition awards for Leadership and Philanthropic Excellence (fraternity)
- Vice President of Communications of my fraternity
- I am training for a marathon. I have ran multiple half-marathons and 10K's.

I am nervous that my GPA/MCAT are weak for MD in general, and I was curious if anyone knew if any schools in particular liked EMS experience. I have a lot of real experience working in NYC emergencies, and my ps is largely about how the relationships I have formed w/ my patients have prepared me for medical school and for practicing medicine.

Here is my list so far:
- Columbia (Far Reach, but I am attending graduate school there which is the reason I am applying)
- All New York Schools (State and Private)
- Giesel***** ( <3 My TOP choice, I don't know if I'm competitive or not! )
- U of Arizona
- Florida International
- Central Florida
- USF
- Tulane
- Indiana
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- Penn State
- PCOM
- NSUCOM
- CCOM
- Tuoro-NY
- Tuoro-Nevada
- UWVCOM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all and good luck with everyone in this years application cycle!

Members don't see this ad.

U Arizona, Indiana and the Florida schools are state public schools that accept few non residents with your stats. For MD consider adding schools such as:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Your stats are competitive for all DO schools.