aumiler13

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Texas resident

Applying to all Texas schools - UT Southwestern, McGovern, Dell, UTHSCSA, Baylor, A&M, Texas Tech, UTMB, Paul L. Foster, UNT, etc. Looking for inputs on which out of state schools I should apply to?

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Your GPAs are lethal for MD schools outside of TX. Merely OK for DO schools.

Get into med school first, and then worry about specialties.

Reactions: chemguy79
OP
A

aumiler13

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you for the input. Will I just be screened out automatically?
It's my hope that adcoms will see that I have a 4.0 while taking difficult prereqs all at once, and while working. My undergrad GPA from nearly a decade ago is what is killing me - it's a 2.93. Since then, I've worked in a leadership position that far exceeds what typical pre-meds will have. My MCAT score also adds to my case that I belong in an MD program but I don't know how heavily it gets weighted compared to GPA.

As for specialty, it was part of the requested info on reddit where I copied my info from. I am not at all worried about specialties.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Thank you for the input. Will I just be screened out automatically?
It's my hope that adcoms will see that I have a 4.0 while taking difficult prereqs all at once, and while working. My undergrad GPA from nearly a decade ago is what is killing me - it's a 2.93. Since then, I've worked in a leadership position that far exceeds what typical pre-meds will have. My MCAT score also adds to my case that I belong in an MD program but I don't know how heavily it gets weighted compared to GPA.

As for specialty, it was part of the requested info on reddit where I copied my info from. I am not at all worried about specialties.
TX schools seem to put a lot of emphasis on gpa.
I doubt you will be electronically screened out, though.

Reactions: GrapesofRath