Medical What are my chances with a low GPA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, struggled freshman year as a pre-med trying to balance classes and D1 athlete while also missing 3 weeks of class due to Mono (C's in intro Bio I and II and Chem I). Rebounded well sophomore year and onward (besides C's in orgo) and ended my final undergrad semester with a 3.9 and on the Dean's List. A's in Biochemistry, Genetics, Physiology, Neurobiology. B's in Cell Biology, Histology, Physics I and Inorganic Chem. Will need to take/retake 2-3 classes in the next 1-2 years before I apply (depending on the school). My listed GPAs are assuming I get As while retaking intro bio I and II.

• Cumulative GPA - 3.1-3.2
  • Science GPA 3.1-3.2
  • Previous 40 Credit GPA: 3.5 (before retakes, will go up)
  • Previous 60 Credit GPA: 3.35 (before retakes, will go up)
  • When do you plan to apply? - 2-3 years
  • Number of hrs and type of PCE/HCE/ECs - Work in a surgical department at Mass General, will have 4000-5000 hours as a clinical research coordinator assuming I work 2 years here. Will have 2000+ at time of application. Also have 3 summers interning at Harvard Medical School for research and large animal testing.

Is it worth considering applying MD/DO or just focus on DO?

Thank you guys!
Have you shadowed any DO physicians?

In my opinion, you need to be consistently above 3.5 (preferably 3.6) over the last 60 credits to argue for rising GPA trends.

Members don't see this ad.

I also meant to mention I am also interested in the PA route and have shadowed a few PAs*

In general for medicine 3.5/3.6+ every semester to bump your GPA as much as you can. DO doesn't like to be seen as the consolation prize. MD will be very tough unless your overall GPA gets closer to 3.6 (national matriculant average around 3.70).

If you are interested in PA, then how many hours have you shadowed PA's, and what specialties? You also need to decide whether you want doctor or physician assistant quickly so you can maintain focus. There are some PA positions that are quite lucrative after 2 years of PA school, as opposed to the mountain of debt and servitude that comes with being a med student then resident.

Status
Not open for further replies.