What are my chances with my grades??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently an undergrad junior. I kind of was lazy freshman year and got a few C's which im really worried about. Im interested in applying to a mid-tier school. Here are my stats:

Science/Math Classes:
Chem 101: B
Gen Chem 1: C
Gen Chem 2: C
Bio 1: B
Bio 2: A
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: A
Orgo Lab: B
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: A
Cell Bio: A
Genetics: A
Molecular Bio: A
Pre calc: A
Calc: A

Basically after i got those 2 C's, I got really serious and made mostly A's from that point on.
I have an A in every single non science/math class i have taken. (so about 8 more A's)
Overall GPA: 3.65

Other:
~100 hours of OR shadowing
1 year of hospital volunteer work
3 Years research experience (including an NIH awarded grant)
2 Years if being a member of a medical school undergrad pipeline program
1 Year as a directors assistant
Presidents Award Program Scholarship
Maurice Prize winner

Hobbies:
-Running
-Writing/Reading
-Guitar (3+ years)
-Some extreme sports (ex: skydiving, motorcycling)

-Have not taken the MCAT yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A BCPM of 3.5 is below the average of 3.61, but you have demonstrated a steep upward grade trend since those Cs, so with a suitably stronger MCAT score (like a 32+, 31.1 being the average), you might be fine. It will help if you have a lenient in-state school.

Are those ECs listed what you have now, or what you plan to have by the time you apply? Is the pipeline program something that provides special opportunities in some way? Or does it mean you're shoo-in if you have stats above a certain minimum?

The EC's I listed are the ones I have now. The pipeline program is there to expose undergrads (mainly minorities) to several areas of medical school, the application process, and the medical field in general. The head director of this program is the head of admissions for UIC medical school. (Im currently an udergrad at UIC as well). I often talk to him even on a casual basis.
The Maurice Prize was not in fiction. The one i won was for most outstanding work on a project. I won $5000.

UIC is a fairly lenient school, even if your MCAT score is not as strong as I've suggested. But a 32 is still a good goal, regardless.

In the time you have left before applying, I'd suggest that you diversify your shadowing to include a primary care physician and maybe one more specialty if you can manage it, for 4-8 hours each. Hopefully, you'll add at least 4 more months of clinical experience. Your research involvement is more than terrific; do you have any posters, presentations, or publications? I like the hobbies (though I'm sure your family would rather not know about the extreme sports).

It would help you if you could manage some nonmedical community service, leadership, or teaching.

I am planning on tutoring Organic Chemistry at school at last a few hours a week during the summer. I am also planning to shadow my PI during the summer (an endocrinologist). The reason why i have done only OR so far is because its my main interest and my sister is an anesthesiologist so i get to shadow her basically whenever i want.
I have not presented a poster yet. However, i still have 6 more months of research left (as far as my grant goes). This will include traveling to a conference somewhere else in the united states and presenting a small poster. The research I do is mainly diabetes related and right now were working on making a diabetes education program for people who have the disease but aren't too educated on it. Patients will be able to download it as an app.
As for the mcat, the UIC pipeline program also offers free kaplan prep course so I will be enrolling in those.

1) I am planning on tutoring Organic Chemistry at school at last a few hours a week during the summer.
2) I am also planning to shadow my PI during the summer (an endocrinologist).
3) The reason why i have done only OR so far is because its my main interest and my sister is an anesthesiologist so i get to shadow her basically whenever i want.
4) I have not presented a poster yet. However, i still have 6 more months of research left (as far as my grant goes). This will include traveling to a conference somewhere else in the united states and presenting a small poster.
5) As for the mcat, the UIC pipeline program also offers free kaplan prep course so I will be enrolling in those.
1) Good, but will this be after you submit?
2) Good. Be sure that includes office hours as you'll want to observe physician-patient interaction. If you do this after you submit your application (if you plan to apply June 2012) then you can't include the experience.
3) Be sure to shadow her when she is talking to conscious patients, not just during the surgery.
4) Excellent, but this might be occurring after you apply.
5) That will help. And you'll save $1600.

As you can see, I'm not clear on your timeline for applying, but UIC applicants tend to be more successful if they apply early in the season.

Thanks for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it. Im actually planning on taking a gap year though in order to gain more experience (research and shadowing) as well as to better prepare for the MCAT. So will will be applying to start school in the fall of 2014. I'm applying to several other mid/low-tier schools but ill be very happy if i get accepted into UIC.

Also, whenever I shadow my sister, I do observe her while interacting with conscious patients. Both pre and post surgery.

Thanks for all the great feedback, I really appreciate it. Im actually planning on taking a gap year though in order to gain more experience (research and shadowing) as well as to better prepare for the MCAT. So will will be applying to start school in the fall of 2014. I'm applying to several other mid/low-tier schools but ill be very happy if i get accepted into UIC.
That will work well, and allow for the development of beefier ECs, as well as less pressure to get everything done and still study adequately for the MCAT.

With the extra time, you might gain some of the other ECs I mentioned at the end of post #7.

Also, whenever I shadow my sister, I do observe her while interacting with conscious patients. Both pre and post surgery.
Perfect.

Great. You helped a lot. Thanks again for your help!