What are my chances with my unique experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roli3790

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm trying to figure out what to do, and what my chances of getting into medical school are:
I have spent the last few years trying to get into veterinary school. So all of my classes and volunteer, and work experience are in that field. However, The catch to my story is that I have a rare vasculitis and have had two kidney transplants and am currently on peritoneal dialysis (transplant is on the table.. but it could be a few years.) So now, vet school does not want me in their programs due to my condition. So I'm trying to find other career paths. As you can imagine I've had extensive experience with healthcare and have been told by several doctors that i should consider medical school due to my unique experiences. Anyway I am wondering what you guys think I can do to improve my application and where I should apply. I am currently an Oregon resident but have considered moving to Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas and North Carolina but would consider any place really.
I went to Undergraduate at University of Idaho cGPA is 3.43 and sGPA is 3.3ish I've taken a few post bacc science courses just to increase my science GPA. I havent taken the MCAT yet but scored in the 97th percentile on the GRE in english and writing.
My GPA is low due to my condition and extensive hospitalizations during intense school loads. I graduated in 3 years.
I have done the following volunteer work:
1 year in clinical small animal practice
1 summer internship in equine rehab
1 summer internship as a teen educator at the Oregon zoo
2 years working with shelter pets
2 years teaching children to horseback ride

I have done the following employment:
2 years working as a kennel assistant
3 years working on a clinical research study for bovine pharmaceuticals
2 years of horseback riding lessons (paid)
2 years as a stall cleaner

I participated in several extra currics during college including rodeo team, pre-vet club, zumba charity events and intramural sports.

Several of my doctors have offered to let me shadow them and write me LoRs. They all believe I can successfully complete medical school for what it is worth. (Two are hospital teaching doctors at OHSU and UNC)

I plan on spending the next year working/volunteering in a hospital or clinical setting to gain more human clinical experience.

What do you guys think my chances are? Where should I apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Being a patient doesn't necessarily make you unique as an applicant.

The catch to my story is that I have a rare vasculitis and have had two kidney transplants and am currently on peritoneal dialysis (transplant is on the table.. but it could be a few years.) So now, vet school does not want me in their programs due to my condition.

Numbers are at the bottom of acceptable for MD schools, but fine for DO.

I went to Undergraduate at University of Idaho cGPA is 3.43 and sGPA is 3.3ish I've taken a few post bacc science courses just to increase my science GPA.

Two totally different tests.

I havent taken the MCAT yet but scored in the 97th percentile on the GRE in english and writing.

We can understand and sympathize, but no AdCom member is going to say, "If s/he hadn't been sick, that GPA would be a 4.0!"

My GPA is low due to my condition and extensive hospitalizations during intense school loads. I graduated in 3 years.

Sounds like a plan. As of right now, aim for any DO program, all low-tier and new MD schools. As an ID resident, U WA might cut you some slack. Also, I have had students with severe medical conditions. I suggest holding off on applying until you get the new kidney. I worry about the need for dialysis being too much of a distractor from your medical studies.

I plan on spending the next year working/volunteering in a hospital or clinical setting to gain more human clinical experience.