What are my chances with these EC's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andjusticeforal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

This thread is strictly about my EC's, but just for context, my GPA is about a 3.9 and I'm still waiting for my MCAT score, but hopefully it will be somewhere in the low to mid 30's. I'm concerned with my EC's simply because I do not have any sort of volunteering to put on my application. I did not even consider med school until just after I graduated college, and in the two years since I have been doing nothing but working full time in research, taking classes at night, studying for the MCAT, and commuting 3-4 hours a day. I wanted to do some community service during these gap years, but unfortunately I just couldn't handle any more than what was already on my plate. Here are the EC's I will be applying with this cycle:

-2 years full time clinical research in major academic hospital (4000 hrs, no pubs. Lots of clinical exposure. I work directly with doctors everyday and do patient visits independently. Phlebotomy, Ekg's, pulmonary function tests, allergy skin tests, take lung biopsies and other specimens during bronchoscopies, administering medications, among many other things)
-1 summer full time molecular bio based research internship in pharma (400hrs, no pubs, had my own independent project)
-1.5 years sales associate for nutritional supplement company during freshman and sophmore year
(1000+ hours)
-6 months sales associate/key holder for another nutritional supplement company during soph. year (500 hrs)
-6 months working in rehab with patients with neuromuscular disorders during senior year (100 hrs. Great one on one clinical work with patients, very independent.
-6 months establishing and developing a group exercise program for local seniors during senior year (Was leader of the project, also lead the exercise classes, supervised interns. This was a great success, program grew to include more people in its next semester, received award for my work on this)
-4 months internship working with patients in cardiac rehab program at a hospital during senior year (150 hrs)
-Physician shadowing in 4-5 different areas

How much will my chances be hurt by not having any volunteering? As you can see I have lots of clinical experience and not only have shadowing, but do a lot of work directly with physicians as well. In all honesty, not a single thing I wrote above was done to check a box. I did almost all of it before even thinking of med school and did it because I wanted to. I am a first generation college student and I spent most of college just figuring things out and had no guidance. Am I screwed?

Members don't see this ad.

Those ecs look awesome. Unfortunately bc you have no volunteering you should eliminate schools which heavily emphasize serving the disadvantaged. But otherwise you look great, are you applying for MD/PhD? Bc you have tons of research

You said you're a 1st generation college student, are you URM too?

Having only 4400 hours of research will definitely hurt you.

;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those ecs look awesome. Unfortunately bc you have no volunteering you should eliminate schools which heavily emphasize serving the disadvantaged. But otherwise you look great, are you applying for MD/PhD? Bc you have tons of research

You said you're a 1st generation college student, are you URM too?

Thanks for the feedback. I completely agree and am planning on avoiding schools that are service-oriented. I'm only applying to MD, I want the focus of my career to be clinical, although my PI has been very successful in research without the PhD. I'm not a URM.

Volunteering shows altruism. Clinical volunteering is not necessary if you got your clinical experience from other sources. But some volunteering is good to see. I don't know if it is strictly "required", but if you look at the MSAR most schools have 70%+ students who did non-clinical volunteering.

The rest of your app is great.

Volunteering shows altruism. Clinical volunteering is not necessary if you got your clinical experience from other sources. But some volunteering is good to see. I don't know if it is strictly "required", but if you look at the MSAR most schools have 70%+ students who did non-clinical volunteering.

The rest of your app is great.

Thanks for the compliment! I have seen those numbers in the MSAR, and that is part of the reason I am concerned. I just hope some of my other strong points can still make me competitive.

Thanks for the compliment! I have seen those numbers in the MSAR, and that is part of the reason I am concerned. I just hope some of my other strong points can still make me competitive.

You may want to PM some adcom members (goro, LizzyM, gyngyn, catalystik) on the matter to see how you stand.

100% lethal, even with a 4.0 GPA and 45 MCAT.
Take a gap year and next year you'll be golden.

How much will my chances be hurt by not having any volunteering? As you can see I have lots of clinical experience and not only have shadowing, but do a lot of work directly with physicians as well. In all honesty, not a single thing I wrote above was done to check a box. I did almost all of it before even thinking of med school and did it because I wanted to. I am a first generation college student and I spent most of college just figuring things out and had no guidance. Am I screwed?[/QUOTE]

100% lethal, even with a 4.0 GPA and 45 MCAT.
Take a gap year and next year you'll be golden.

How much will my chances be hurt by not having any volunteering? As you can see I have lots of clinical experience and not only have shadowing, but do a lot of work directly with physicians as well. In all honesty, not a single thing I wrote above was done to check a box. I did almost all of it before even thinking of med school and did it because I wanted to. I am a first generation college student and I spent most of college just figuring things out and had no guidance. Am I screwed?
[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your honesty.

I think you could have a shot, but why take the risk and spend the money? If you take an additional year and do some volunteer work in a clinical or non-clinical setting (I'd say preferably non-clinical, given how much clinical experience you have), I think you'll really increase your chances. Why not check every box, you know?