What are my chances with these IA's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocklobstr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was found responsible for the following:
1. Violation of room access (I had entered the room to "check it out").
2. Violation of health and safety procedures (The blanket fort was a fire hazard, and I did not report it to anyone).
3. Knowingly assisting in violation of college policy (I knew the fort was there, etc., and didn't say anything).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm sorry, that's just too funny, and unless you either built it in a room with open flames or the school has awful electrical insulation this charge is completely ridiculous. It honestly sounds like either the school hates their students (or maybe you specifically), someone mouthed off to the admins, or they're coming down hard to teach you a lesson early. What that lesson is I couldn't tell you, since having a blanket fort in your own suite would have been awesome and I knew several people that built them in college.

On a serious note, these charges don't seem that serious at all. Some schools might see an IA and toss your app, but there is a place in the application to explain why you had an IA, and I can't imagine that most schools would care that someone built a blanket fort in a room you checked out. Typically schools care about stuff like cheating/plagiarism, drug charges, alcohol abuse, sexual misconduct, aka things that show either questionable morals or patterns of irresponsible behavior. A lot of people get IAs or other forms of punishment early on for being immature, and as long as it's an isolated incident I doubt most med schools will care. Unless there's more to this story that you're not sharing, like involvement with alcohol or drugs, then I'd say you'll be fine.

Are you/were you a freshman when this stuff happened? Sometimes you can get an IA expunged later in your college career if you don't get in anymore trouble and prove you're responsible. Idk how, but I've heard of it happening at a few different places.

Also, the word is **suite**. Reading suit that many times was slowly enraging my inner grammar nazi.

Reactions: 3 users
My wife and her family also use the word "suit" to mean "suite". Must be a Midwest thing.

Also, the word is **suite**. Reading suit that many times was slowly enraging my inner grammar nazi.[/QUOTE]

The entire suite (haha, sorry about that) was originally accused of alcohol and drug possession. The area coordinator basically told us that it was to "teach us a lesson" and scare us essentially. The drug and alcohol charges were dropped. So, I don't think that it even counts as a warning (or IA) since it was blatantly not true and we were found not responsible for any drug or alcohol use. Do you think I'd have to report that? Not trying to get away with anything, but I was found innocent (not appealed, or deleted, or petitioned, just dropped/found innocent because it didn't happen).

Also, I'm on my 4th year out of 5. So, unfortunately I was not a freshman. Other than this, I have been quite responsible throughout my college career.

Honestly, I wouldn't. If a school seriously questions it you can say that the school initially thought that alcohol was involved, but dropped the charges when they realized it wasn't. Otherwise I'd just disclose the charges you were actually found guilty of.

I was taken in front of honors council in undergrad but they realized that I hadn't done anything wrong and my professor was basically being an ass (as was stated by my fellow group members on the project who weren't accused of anything along with several other professors who knew the situation). I decided to lay everything out in my apps because the prof ended up giving me a D and I thought I would have to explain it. I wish I had just not said anything considering I didn't do anything wrong, but I'm in med school now, so it doesn't really matter.