What are my chances with this personality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tyrael

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I created a new username to preserve my internet anonymity! So here goes:

I am a heterosexual male, I'm honest, approachable and very kind. I smile a lot (but sometimes when I shouldn't :() and I speak coherently. I work extremely hard and I'm very motivated. I enjoy teaching and sharing my knowledge/skills with others.

I would probably be classified as an introvert. I can be shy with an average (but maybe even sub-average) level of common sense. While I'm not a social misfit, I really enjoy being by myself, listening to orchestral music. I don't know how to self-rate my interpersonal skills, but I do interact with people regularly via club involvement and volunteering (but it seems I spend time more time alone than the average person).

In some activities that have required leadership skills, I've been told that I'm too much of a softy. I don't blatantly tell people that they're doing something incorrect because I don't want to hurt their feelings (I guess I can work on this)

Although I wouldn't consider myself creepy, I guess I should mention that a girl I asked out once begged to differ :mad:. I'm quite confident in my academic/athletic capabilities but less confident in other areas that I'd rather keep to myself.

Given that I like being by myself so much, I worry that adcoms would rather see me pursue something research-oriented. But I don't want to spend my life cooped up in a lab so a Ph.D isn't that appealing to me. I know that I want to interact with patients.

After seeing posts about all kinds of folks with incredible numbers not receiving any acceptances allopathic schools I've been kind of worried. What sucks is that I feel that I can't change some things about my personality. You can always improve your MCAT/GPA but what can you do if adcoms just simply don't like who you are? Assuming my numbers are above average for all allopathic schools, and with interesting extracurriculars, what do you all think my chances are given the personality described above?

Members don't see this ad.

I created a new username to preserve my internet anonymity!

I never understood this... isn't SDN already anonymous?

About your question, I think you sound like a pretty run-of-the-mill pre-med student (i.e. intelligent, somewhat introverted but sure you want to pursue this largely extroverted field). Just work on your confidence. It sounds like you know who you are, just make sure adcoms don't think you're uncomfortable with yourself.

The important thing is that you are true to yourself. :) AdComs will appreciate that, I'm sure. If your reasons for entering medicine are solid, I don't see why not.

In my opinion, someone doesn't have to be an extrovert to be a doctor. As long as you can talk to someone and figure out what's wrong with them, you're good to go. The greatest extrovert who cracks the best jokes and connects with a room instantly isn't neccessarily the one to choose to slog through medical school and acheive academic success.

My dermatologist is probably an introvert, I don't know if I can accurately judge... he says very little and just talks to me about my medical issues, but I think he's a great doctor. My treatment regimen has been going so well. And he's very successful and respected in my city.

So... don't worry about your personality or question what AdComs will think of it. The uniqueness of each individual is what makes life interesting :)

P.S. The only thing that I think you should work on is assertiveness. I'm no expert, but I've been in the same boat before... afraid to tell people they're doing something wrong because of the possiblity of upsetting them or losing their friendship. I have learned to more assertive after facing some frustrating situations during which I placed others well being before mine. And I've learned a lot from it.

As a doctor, you may see someone engaging in a wrongdoing at a hospital or diagnosing a patient incorrectly. You will be willing to speak up in these situations, I hope. Remember that you don't neccessarily have to approach a person directly, you can always go through a supervisor or middleman.

Members don't see this ad :)
in my opinion you only need to be extroverted enough during the interview to show you're capable of holding a conversation.

I'm much like you though.. I'm actually not good at making friends or talking to people because I suck at small talk. For me, it's all business.. if we have a reason to talk, we talk well.. if it's just small talk, well, I just don't do that.

I know physicians who are very introverted in person, but still great at talking to patients, probably because when it comes down to business they know how to get their point across efficiently.

I think, or at least I hope, you'll do perfectly fine.

Introverted vs. Extroverted has nothing to do with how will you do at an interview. There are 4 basic categories of people:
1. Introverts who are nice, modest, and fun to be around.
2. Introverts who are creepy, dorky, and socially incompetent.
3. Extroverts with bright personalities who can tell awesome stories and hold any conversation.
4. Extroverts who are obnoxious and cocky and think they're "the #$%@" when in fact they are #$%@.
Be either #1 or 3 at an interview and you'll do fine.:)

Don't you mean numbers 1 and 3?

As a heterosexual male, I'm honest, approachable and very kind. I smile a lot (but sometimes when I shouldn't :() and I speak coherently. I work extremely hard and I'm very motivated. I enjoy teaching and sharing my knowledge/skills with others.

You seem a bit homophobic. Your language suggests that you believe homosexuals are dishonest, unapproachable, and unkind. You probably shouldn't use your heterosexuality as an argument for normalcy.

Introverted vs. Extroverted has nothing to do with how will you do at an interview. There are 4 basic categories of people:
1. Introverts who are nice, modest, and fun to be around.
2. Introverts who are creepy, dorky, and socially incompetent.
3. Extroverts with bright personalities who can tell awesome stories and hold any conversation.
4. Extroverts who are obnoxious and cocky and think they're "the #$%@" when in fact they are #$%@.
Be either #1 or 3 at an interview and you'll do fine.:)
so it's ok to be creepy, dorky, and socially incompetent?
is that personality type going to just hide in the lab doing research all day?

Members don't see this ad :)
so it's ok to be creepy, dorky, and socially incompetent?
is that personality type going to just hide in the lab doing research all day?

I have to admit that most people I see in labs are extremely introverted. However, I have never met anyone in a research lab who is creepy or scary. Most researchers live very normal lives, raise families, go out, and have fun. They may "look" dorky, but that's due a disregard for modern fashion, not social incompetence.

just remember that you're on an internet message board... anyone here who claims to have real social skills is in serious denial.

The key is to be yourself. However keep in mind that the interview is only an hour. So you have to make the most out of that hour and try to extenuate your best qualities. One of the most difficult things I find in an interview is letting the right words come out.

just remember that you're on an internet message board... anyone here who claims to have real social skills is in serious denial.

Anyone who thinks the US is good at soccer is in serious denial :laugh: (apologies in advance if sports is a sensitive issue).

As a heterosexual male, I’m honest, approachable and very kind. I smile a lot (but sometimes when I shouldn't :() and I speak coherently. I work extremely hard and I’m very motivated. I enjoy teaching and sharing my knowledge/skills with others.

I would probably be classified as an introvert. I can be shy with an average (but maybe even sub-average) level of common sense. While I'm not a social misfit, I really enjoy being by myself, listening to orchestral music. I don’t know how to self-rate my interpersonal skills, but I do interact with people regularly via club involvement and volunteering (but it seems I spend time more time alone than the average person).

In some activities that have required leadership skills, I've been told that I'm too much of a softy. I don’t blatantly tell people that they’re doing something incorrect because I don’t want to hurt their feelings (I guess I can work on this)

Although I wouldn’t consider myself creepy, I guess I should mention that a girl I asked out once begged to differ :mad:. I'm quite confident in my academic/athletic capabilities but less confident in other areas that I'd rather keep to myself.

Given that I like being by myself so much, I worry that adcoms would rather see me pursue something research-oriented. But I don't want to spend my life cooped up in a lab so a Ph.D isn't that appealing to me. I know that I want to interact with patients.

After seeing posts about all kinds of folks with incredible numbers not receiving any acceptances allopathic schools I’ve been kind of worried. What sucks is that I feel that I can’t change some things about my personality. You can always improve your MCAT/GPA but what can you do if adcoms just simply don’t like who you are? Assuming my numbers are above average for all allopathic schools, and with interesting extracurriculars, what do you all think my chances are given the personality described above?

reminds me of the time I had to interview a PhD program applicant and couldn't help thinking that the guy was twitchy, creepy and really odd. As soon as the kid left, my advisor came into the lab and asked,"How creepy was that guy huh? He couldn't stop moving when we were talking!"

But seriously, improving your personality is something you will have to work on if it really does bother you. And what someone suggested in earlier post is on spot - the interview is only an hour so you just have to make the most of things by focusing on your positive aspects to make a good impression. If you are fortunate to get in, all you have to do is work on your bedside manner during the 4 years of med school:)

Anyone who thinks the US is good at soccer is in serious denial :laugh: (apologies in advance if sports is a sensitive issue).

mexico fan?

(though in all seriousness, I'm not optimistic for the rest of the Copa, given our squad)

You seem a bit homophobic. Your language suggests that you believe homosexuals are dishonest, unapproachable, and unkind. You probably shouldn't use your heterosexuality as an argument for normalcy.

Oops. I edited it to be more of what I originally intended. But now that you've pointed this out I can't fully explain why I felt it was necessary to include. I guess it's because, in the past, some friends have told me seriously that they thought I was gay.

Being introverted and being creepy is completely different. Adcoms don't care if you're introverted as long as you sell it off as being genuine. However, if you're creepy, then you're in for a long season.

The key to being a successful social person is confidence. True confidence is difficult to achieve, but it really cannot be faked. I would suggest you to spend some time soul searching and read some self help books on talking and meeting people. Also get a book on how to pick up girls, I find those books often preach true self confidence and the ability to establish rapport with people very well.

In the end though, just make sure you come off as genuine and not creepy on the interviews. Don't brag, don't avoid eye contact, don't over-do the eye contact, don't look nervous, don't talk too fast, don't talk too much. Focus on giving intelligent answers that do not seem memorized, and give them in a mature tone and manner.