What are my chances? Would love some opinions/advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredogtorgirl

Reaction score
Hello all. I am planning to apply to veterinary school this upcoming year for the 2021-2022 cycle I am currently a junior at the Ohio State University, however I am a resident of Pennsylvania. If anyone who has successfully received admission has any honest opinions regarding my chances at getting in, I'm all ears. I also haven't narrowed down exactly where I will be applying, so if anyone has any thoughts regarding where I should apply based on my specifics, let me know. I'm including a snapshot of my main application points below.

Cumulative GPA - 3.94

Science GPA - not exact on this one, but around 3.8-3.9

Veterinary Experience

- 1300 hours working at a small animal hospital

- 150 hours shadowing at a different small animal hospital where I observed procedures on various floors (emergency, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, etc)

- 15-20 hours shadowing at OSU veterinary hospital

- 50 hours shadowing at an exotic/avian hospital

- 50 hours of farm animal shadowing

Animal Experience

- Previous intern at wildlife center in PA

- Volunteer at local animal shelter

- Volunteer at farm sanctuary

- volunteer at Columbus Zoo

- volunteer at Ohio Wildlife Center

(total is probably around 1000-1200 hours)

Leadership Experience

- Teaching assistant for multiple semesters for animal science undergraduate courses

- President of my plant-based health and sustainability club

Research

- Current undergraduate researcher studying the transmission of vector borne illnesses via mosquitoes. Plan to graduate with research distinction, probably will have spent around 300-500 hours total in the lab toward this research.

Extracurriculars

- Involved as a general member in a wide variety of animal based and human based clubs through the university (have been since freshman year)

- 5 year volunteer at local soup kitchen

- 10 year volunteer through my church as an office aid and also catechism teaching courses.

- Girl Scout member (received my Gold Award)

- Deans list every semester

- hold a second job on campus as a library/office assistant, I will have had this all four years

Letters of Rec

- planing to use around 4

1. Veterinarian I work for
  2. Professor who is also my advisor and whom I was a teaching assistant for
  3. Veterinarian/family friend to speak more on my character ("personal" reference)
  4. Potentially an additional professor whom of which I connected with
I have a few other awards from college I did not name and also a lot of different other extracurriculars/awards from high school, but I focused on the main points from my college years. PLEASE GIVE ME HONEST THOUGHTS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This looks very good for admission. Make sure you present yourself well on paper, find out what makes you valuable in your life experiences so far to make you a desirable asset to any class and beyond as a veterinarian. Keep finding out more about yourself and what gives you joy in life outside of vet med as well as these hobbies become increasingly more important throughout this journey. Good luck! Make sure you have lots of people read your statements to get a nice concise picture of your life and expectations. :)

Reactions: 1 users
This looks very good for admission. Make sure you present yourself well on paper, find out what makes you valuable in your life experiences so far to make you a desirable asset to any class and beyond as a veterinarian. Keep finding out more about yourself and what gives you joy in life outside of vet med as well as these hobbies become increasingly more important throughout this journey. Good luck! Make sure you have lots of people read your statements to get a nice concise picture of your life and expectations. :)
Thank you for your feedback!