KristenD77

Predent
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2012
Hello everyone I'm currently an undergraduate in Biology and I'm finishing my last year now. My Science GPA is a little above a 3.5 and my cumulative GPA is currently a little above a 3.4 I know it's not great but I received a C in a 6 credit calculus class and I plan to bring it up by the time I graduate. I have not taken the MCAT yet and I know American Sign Language, done research for two semesters, presented my research at an undergraduate research seminar and might possibly present the research at an international research seminar in Poland. I have worked as a dental assistant for 2 years and shadowed a nurse practitioner. I also plan to volunteer at a hospital. Also this January I'm going to study abroad but it's for an Ecology class so I don't know if that helps. I also currently have no non medical related community service=( Honestly do you think I'm a competitive candidate or not till I bring my GPA up / gain more experience? I should also add I'm a New York resident

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hello everyone I'm currently an undergraduate in Biology and I'm finishing my last year now. My Science GPA is a little above a 3.5 and my cumulative GPA is currently a little above a 3.4 I know it's not great but I received a C in a 6 credit calculus class and I plan to bring it up by the time I graduate. I have not taken the MCAT yet and I know American Sign Language, done research for two semesters, presented my research at an undergraduate research seminar and might possibly present the research at an international research seminar in Poland. I have worked as a dental assistant for 2 years and shadowed a nurse practitioner. I also plan to volunteer at a hospital. Also this January I'm going to study abroad but it's for an Ecology class so I don't know if that helps. I also currently have no non medical related community service=( Honestly do you think I'm a competitive candidate or not till I bring my GPA up / gain more experience? I should also add I'm a New York resident
GPAs are good though...25+ MCAT will get you in somewhere, but you have to shadow a physician--not a nurse practitioner IMO.

OP
K

KristenD77

Predent
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2012
Okay thank you! I will defiantly try to find some one to shadow. Do you think a PA would be acceptable to shadow or no it has to be a physician?

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Okay thank you! I will defiantly try to find some one to shadow. Do you think a PA would be acceptable to shadow or no it has to be a physician?
It has to be a physician and preferably a DO physician because some schools want you to shadow a DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: KristenD77
Jun 30, 2013
West Lafayette, Indiana
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
To me you chances are good. You have to shadow some physicians. I wouldn't take a chance with only NP and PA. I would find some MD's and definately one or two DO. I am a non traditional student and I am 41. with about the same GPA. I got a couple of "Fs" on my transcripts. I never repeated those classes. I have been a nurse for about 3 years now. My MCAT was ok but not great by any means. I shadowed 3 MDs and a DO. Only applied of DO school. So far have 2 interviews and 3 rejections with 10 more to make a decision yet. My first interview is in a few days and the next one in the mid of December. When you make your CV to use for the application, put all (I mean all of your experiences). All the experieces you have a valuable and make you a well all round candidate. You need some volunteer, if in a hospital that good. If not find a nursing home, rehab facility, or etc. Do some other volunteer too, I mean non-medical. Lotsa different type of experiences are better than 1000 hours in one kind of experience. Good luck you can do it. Let me know if I can help in any ways.

OP
K

KristenD77

Predent
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2012
Thank you and good luck to you!
To me you chances are good. You have to shadow some physicians. I wouldn't take a chance with only NP and PA. I would find some MD's and definately one or two DO. I am a non traditional student and I am 41. with about the same GPA. I got a couple of "Fs" on my transcripts. I never repeated those classes. I have been a nurse for about 3 years now. My MCAT was ok but not great by any means. I shadowed 3 MDs and a DO. Only applied of DO school. So far have 2 interviews and 3 rejections with 10 more to make a decision yet. My first interview is in a few days and the next one in the mid of December. When you make your CV to use for the application, put all (I mean all of your experiences). All the experieces you have a valuable and make you a well all round candidate. You need some volunteer, if in a hospital that good. If not find a nursing home, rehab facility, or etc. Do some other volunteer too, I mean non-medical. Lotsa different type of experiences are better than 1000 hours in one kind of experience. Good luck you can do it. Let me know if I can help in any ways.
thank you and good luck to you! I think your 3 years as a nurse triumphs the Fs on your transcript so I think you should be fine. Also what schools do you have an interview for?