Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

What are my chances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by Hopefulonco21, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Hopefulonco21

Hopefulonco21

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

This is my first post here so excuse my faults in posting.

My BCPM is a 3.082 but with several retakes in it (including Orgo 1 and 2 as well as calc 1). I went through a rough year my second year and statistically I have been climbing back up ever since. I have heard that DO schools see the first scores but look at the retake mainly. Is this true? if so this is my final gpa that I will apply with.

My cumulative gpa in all other areas is a 3.88. So as one can see I have the cGPA to get in but not the science gpa. I am taking my MCAT in July and I have been getting 30s on my practice exams from Kaplan.

I have done over 200 hours of shadowing
    Interned at the American Cancer Society for over 200 hours
    Been a founding father and first president of my fraternity and have help numerous positions there after
    Worked 20 hours a week on campus and life guarded for 20 hours during the weekends in the summer
    I was a tour guide for my school
    Am part of Order of the Omega Honor Society for greeks
    Have done over 300 hours of research with 2 presentations

Thoughts? anything would be helpful

Thanks everyone! and please don't hold back!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mct2762

mct2762 Banned Banned Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MCAT?

4. Hopefulonco21

Hopefulonco21

Pre-Medical
    After several practice tests I am consistently getting 30s :/ so im thinking Im going to get a 30

5. mct2762

mct2762 Banned Banned Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With a cGPA of 3.88 and a 30 MCAT, you will be fine despite the low sGPA, IMO. Apply broadly. Add several low tier schools and all of the new schools

6. Elevencents

Elevencents 5+ Year Member

You said your cGPA in all other areas, implying that's your non science GPA and not your actual cGPA. What's your actual cGPA? No one cares about the non-science GPA.

7. Hopefulonco21

Hopefulonco21

Pre-Medical
    My cGPA is a 3.2

8. DoctorKrieger

DoctorKrieger Exit Van Left 2+ Year Member

DO schools see that you've retaken courses but only factor in the retaken grade in your GPA. So I'm guessing that's your 3.082? If so, you still need to get that sGPA up to at least 3.2 to have a real chance at even the newer schools. Of course exceptions exist. Either way, study balls-out for the MCAT.

About the ads