What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katd03

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, longtime SDN lurker here. I need some advice. Here are my stats:

MCAT 1: 7PS/11V/10BS
MCAT 2: 8PS/10V/9BS (Rough news, just found out on Tuesday, and I'd thought this one had gone better....)

cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.28 (according to AMCAS, although I have two retakes in there and with grade replacement it's actually closer to a 3.45, if that makes a difference)

LORs
Writing Fellows Professor (see ECs)-average
English Professor-above average
Research Mentor 1-excellent
Research Mentor 2-excellent
Physiology Professor-excellent

Research
Not published yet unfortunately (nor is it looking good for the near future), but I've been in the lab (working for credit) for the past year and a half. Bio lab. I've presented once at a research festival and also received a $2500 undergraduate grant (scholarship) this past summer for my research.

ECs
-Writing Fellow for the past year (in case people aren't familiar, it's a program where I'm assigned to a class and then ~10 students in the class turn in their papers to me, I write them a letter telling them the biggest issues in their paper and write marginal comments for them, and then we go over all of it at a face-to-face conference)
-Resident Assistant this year for a pre-med themed floor of 70 students
-National Residence Hall Honorary member and chair
-120 hours clinical volunteering at a large research hospital
-300 hours non-clinical volunteering for a service club (go Kiwanis!) for which I was the vice president and have also held various chair positions; received the District Outstanding Vice President Award for 2013 and the District Best ELIMINATE Project Fundraiser for 2013 (project I spearheaded to raise money for tetanus vaccinations for people in third world countries)
-Bio tutor for 1 semester
-approx. 40 hours shadowing (internal medicine, gen surgery, family practice)

Anywho, with my MCAT, I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about my chances for MD this cycle, but I was wondering if my non-science ECs might at least make me stand out...? Iowa is my home state and where I'm at for undergrad, but their 10th percentile MCAT is a 29 and I don't think my sparkling personality is quite sparkly enough that they'd turn their heads at my 28. I have already applied to 8 schools throughout the Midwest (Rush, Rosy Franklin, Creighton, Iowa, etc) and was just waiting on that second MCAT and one more letter. I had not considered DO until now (didn't think I'd need to) therefore I don't have a letter from any MDs/DOs I shadowed, which throws a wrench in applying late DO. With that....thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you have a chance for MD but you need to apply more broadly as well as outside of the Midwest. If you have not included these schools yet consider St. Louis, Loyola, Medical College Wisconsin, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, New York Medical College, Albany, Drexel, Jefferson, Temple, Commonwealth (PA), Quinnipiac. If you are not accepted to MD this year then also apply early (June) to both MD and DO schools next year.

Thank you for the reply, Faha. I did apply to MCoW, as well as Minnesota, UW Mad, and Loyola.

Anyone else have any suggestions?