What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore majoring in Biochemistry and Spanish (I'm already fluent in Spanish). I'm studying abroad in Spain for a semester my junior year spring semester. I currently have two jobs both through the university, the first is in a university lab doing research along-side a couple graduate students and a professor, the second is as a tutor for general chemistry and Calc I. I'm in the process of starting to work at a hospital to get in clinical hours. My cumulative GPA right now is 3.1 which is very low (I messed around a little too much my freshman year) but I have a 4.0 this semester and fully expect to finish with a 4.0 and graduate with at least a 3.6. What GPA/MCAT should I shoot for to keep my chances good to get into med school, below is my list of schools I'd like to go to

University of Iowa (Carver) [In-State]
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
Rush Medical College
University of Kansas School of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School
University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Medicine

Suggestions for my list of med schools (schools to add/remove) would also be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 4.0 the rest of undergrad.
MCAT: As high as possible with your GPA. To be competitive at Iowa you'd want a 30+ score unless you have some excellent ECs.

Don't waste time applying to SIU since they heavily favor applicants from southern Illinois. The same goes for Kansas.

Any other good schools in the midwest you would recommend me applying to?

Depends on your MCAT.

If you can get a 30+ then Loyola, RFU, SLU, MCW, Creighton, Oakland, Toledo, Cincinnati.