Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
First post! Its almost Oct 15th and I am pretty worried about decisions.

I am a CA resident. I have a 3.7 GPA and 33 on MCAT (11, 10, 12). URM and strong ECs. I also have a compelling story that I wrote about in my personal statement. However I haven't done as much research as I want to have done (only a little more than a year but no publications or awards). I applied to 27 school and I have gone on 7 out of my 9 interviews and I am super broke and I am not confident enough to be selective about my interviews. Any advice?

Thanks! Good luck to everyone applying :)

Dec 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Seems like your chances are great.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
First post! Its almost Oct 15th and I am pretty worried about decisions.

I am a CA resident. I have a 3.7 GPA and 33 on MCAT (11, 10, 12). URM and strong ECs. I also have a compelling story that I wrote about in my personal statement. However I haven't done as much research as I want to have done (only a little more than a year but no publications or awards). I applied to 27 school and I have gone on 7 out of my 9 interviews and I am super broke and I am not confident enough to be selective about my interviews. Any advice?
What you've shared make your odds sound promising, but other factors are in play as well:

Are your LORs supportive, personal, and in the categories each school requested (if not a committee letter)? Do you have any legal issues or institutional action? Did you do practice interviews and get good reviews? Did you access SDN's Interview Feedback for individual schools and prepare for likely questions? Did you apply to schools with a range of selectivity, so they aren't all reachy?

OP
H
Oct 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
What you've shared make your odds sound promising, but other factors are in play as well:

Are your LORs supportive, personal, and in the categories each school requested (if not a committee letter)? Do you have any legal issues or institutional action? Did you do practice interviews and get good reviews? Did you access SDN's Interview Feedback for individual schools and prepare for likely questions? Did you apply to schools with a range of selectivity, so they aren't all reachy?
Thank you so much for your reply everyone. I have strong LORs and no legal issues. I have had multiple mock interviews and prepared for questions. and I applied a wide variety of schools in terms of selectivity. Do you think I should go on interviews to schools that I do not wish to attend? Or should I keep going to interviews until i receive an acceptance?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
If you don't want to attend a school, even if it were your only acceptance, then withdraw your application from further consideration before you are accepted there. Keep attending interviews until you are accepted to one school you would attend. You might consider asking for later interview dates, that you could cancel if you got an acceptance in the meanwhile, but that might mean you'd need refundable flight tickets or delaying ticket purchase until prices are higher. While 7 interviews are generally enough to result in one acceptance, there are no guarantees in this process.