What are my Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airportfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances of getting accepted into any of these Clinical Mental Health Counseling Programs?

Overall GPA: 3.1
Major GPA: 2.8
Minor GPA: 3.0
50th percentile GRE Scores

Reason my GPAs are really low is because I struggles my first 3 years of undergrad. It took until my Senior Year to realize that college is not like high school and it took me that long to develop study skills. I got a bunch of Cs, some Bs, few As, and two Ds. What sucks is that the two Ds were in my major, one of them was a Senior level class. Also, I went to one of America's hardest schools where professors are strict on grading and like to challenge their students.

However, I have good solid work experience with children and I was involved a lot, and even an officer of Psi Chi. I have more experience and 50th percentile GRE scores. The question is, what are my chances for at least getting an interview for these schools?

Arizona State University
University of North Texas
St. Mary's
George Washington University
University of District of Columbia
Florida Atlantic University
University of Southern Florida
University of Northern Florida
University of California San Diego
California State Fullerton
Portland State University
Lewis and Clark College
University of New Mexico
Texas Tech University
University of Colorado Denver
New Mexico State University
South University

Am I applying to all competitive schools that I don't stand a chance of even getting an interview? I need some advice on what I should do and which schools are not so competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

I would make sure I had letters of recommendations from previous professors or other professionals that will definitely tidy up your application a bit. My GRE scores were dreadful, however, having three letters of recommendation from the undergrad psych department definitely helped me. But back to you: It definitely isn't awful, but there are some things that you can do to help. Some programs have a GPA cutoff, so I would at least research that, and narrow down which universities are more likely to accept you. Also, talk a little bit about what you learned regarding the importance of the field, and how you realized midway through your undergrad program how much it means to you in your personal statement. Sometimes discussing how apparent weaknesses turned into strengths can be a good thing! Basically, try to make your circumstances work to your advantage! Hope this helps!