MD & DO What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemKing01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I currently have a 3.698 Ggpa for my masters in chemistry (will be closer to 3.75 in fall, but I plan to apply before then).

I dont know what my MCAT score is yet, but I will know in about a week.

Something just came to mind. When I was in undergrad., I scored in the B-range for biochemistry 2. However, in biochemistry 1, I scored a D+ (by far lowest grade in undergrad.). I will now have a masters in chem. with a gpa of 3.75-3.83 upon completion, and a 3.698 when applying.

Will my biochemistry 1 grade hold me back? I assumed my biochemistry 2 grade would more or less be sufficient, along with the fact I entered and did well in a masters chemistry program.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe medical schools put more emphasis on undergraduate gpa (which I believe was not disclosed in your post). Additionally I think D+ won't be great when it comes to apply, and perhaps you may need to take bchm1 again.

I believe medical schools put more emphasis on undergraduate gpa (which I believe was not disclosed in your post). Additionally I think D+ won't be great when it comes to apply, and perhaps you may need to take bchm1 again.

I can understand a D+ not looking good for admissions for biochem 1, but scoring in the B range for biochem 2 and doing well on the MCAT should show my ability to do biochem I would imagine. Correct?

It would feel silly doing decent in chemistry graduate courses(3.69+) and having already done decent in biochem 2(B range), to go back to something as basic as biochem 1(D+). Surely Med. schools can see the upward trend.

It would be similar to scoring a D+ in orgo 1 and then a B in orgo 2. There really is no reason to retake orgo 1, correct? (I scored A's in both orgo courses)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your undergrad GPAs (SGPA and cGPA)? That is what schools look at. Have you submitted your primaries? Are you applying MD, DO or both? What are your ECs? You have given us no information for us to even speculate on your chances. But one thing for sure is it is getting awfully late to submit a primary. It won't be verified until
Sometime in September.

Reactions: 1 user
Come back when you have an MCAT score.

One D won't kill you.

Hello everyone.

I currently have a 3.698 Ggpa for my masters in chemistry (will be closer to 3.75 in fall, but I plan to apply before then).

I dont know what my MCAT score is yet, but I will know in about a week.

Something just came to mind. When I was in undergrad., I scored in the B-range for biochemistry 2. However, in biochemistry 1, I scored a D+ (by far lowest grade in undergrad.). I will now have a masters in chem. with a gpa of 3.75-3.83 upon completion, and a 3.698 when applying.

Will my biochemistry 1 grade hold me back? I assumed my biochemistry 2 grade would more or less be sufficient, along with the fact I entered and did well in a masters chemistry program.

Thanks!

What are your undergrad GPAs (SGPA and cGPA)? That is what schools look at. Have you submitted your primaries? Are you applying MD, DO or both? What are your ECs? You have given us no information for us to even speculate on your chances. But one thing for sure is it is getting awfully late to submit a primary. It won't be verified until
Sometime in September.

I guess the title of the thread is a misnomer. What I really was interested in was whether or not that specific grade was detrimental due to the circumstances explained above.

My cGPA and sGPA in undergrad. were not very good(higher than 3.0, but not by much). I was ensured by a respectable admissions director that earning a masters in chem with a good GPA would help solve that issue(now around 3.7-3.8 range).

I plan on applying to both MD and DO, but may change depending what I get on my MCAT score in 6 days.

My EC's mostly involve the volunteering I did when I was part of starting a "Timmy Global Health" organization at a state university campus. I also did job shadow an MD doctor for approximately 50 hours.

I do know the MCAT is incredibly important, so I cant comment on that quite yet. However, what I wanted to hit home with this thread wasnt really "what are my chances", but more along the lines of "will my biochem 1 grade of a D+ become an issue under so-so circumstance".