Doug Underhill

5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2011
The South
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Your chances are pretty bad unless you have a stellar MCAT. I think you may attract interest with 513+.

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
- cGPA 3.42, sGPA 3.3 (>3.8 both semesters of senior year)
- graduate GPA 3.64
- highest MCAT was 25 but taking MCAT 2015 this month after taking TPR prep course (been scoring 75-80th percentile)
- 5 years research experience, 3 publications
- > clinical and non-clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc
- currently work as a Quality Data Analyst for a hospital
- 3rd time re-applicant

What score on my MCAT re-take will make me competitive for MD programs?
This in itself should tell you a good bit. There are schools that don't even consider people who have applied more than twice(not sure if this applies to applying to their school or being a 3rd type applicant in general). You really need to include some DO schools on whatever list you have because even for DO's a 3.4/25 while competitive is hardly some lock.

For MD you are in need of a substantial improvement(no 75th percentile isnt going to cut it) and even then there are certain hurdles to overcome being a 3rd time applicant. Gotta expand your perspective and horizons; can't keep banging your head against the MD's as even if you get your desired retake score a 3.4/30 will not have favorable odds for MD schools particularly with a 25 on their record already.

Reactions: Goro
OP
billeboi31

billeboi31

2+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2015
Status
Medical Student
What was your graduate program? An SMP?
A thesis-based MS in Cell & Molecular Biology (hard sciences + the usual thesis, research, technical communication, and research ethics credits).

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student